10-Year Anniversary Freshen-up

Test Fit. This color scheme is very light dependent, haven't figured out how to photograph it yet. The side I shot is I shadow, so colors are muted a bit.

Great to see your vision coming to fruition....your bike is going to be one to follow for people doing mods in the future I reckon.
Well there is a lot of very amazing stuff done by much more capable people here, so there are a lot of great examples to follow. As I have said before, my build is actually following people like @c10 & @ROADTOAD1340 . I wanted to show a top shelf N/A bike build. There is a lot of focus these days on turbos (and rightly so) but the Busa is a pretty formidable bike in a mostly stock engine configuration. I wanted to max out a stock HP bike with a stock wheel base.

What I set out to do in this thread is give you all a real time look at building a bike like this and you can see there is a lot involved and it can be frustrating. These builds can take a lot of time and money if you are looking for the best parts and trying to fit them together in a cohesive end product. I'm still missing a lot of stuff to finish the build and there is a lot of work to do. But I think I have been pretty honest about the ups and downs. All the ideas and help I got was a happy coincidence, but it's been great and helped this thread to 10K views, which of course was my other goal.

Last night while doing the fairing test fit, I realized the CF front fender was rubbing when I turn to the left. Yes, I could just not turn left (lol) but gotta chase that one down. It also seems like the fit of the fairings is a bit difference from the originals, so I hope everything fits together snugly.

Anyway, still at it. This weekend I will be working on the wiring and getting things up and running again. I'm still waiting for the CF dash pieces to finish up the body. It never ends.....

….and it never will end...

There is a lot to be said about having an NA bike as well. Turbos have their place but as you said, the bike is potent as it is and with simple mods it is even more so.

Don't sell what you are doing short, you might have used other bikes for an inspiration but have made this one your own and that's something to be proud of.

It will be soon done and then you can sit back for a bit and ride and enjoy it before you go to modding again.

One thing about the Busa is there is so much out there that bolts right up. You won't appreciate this until you work with something like the BMW where nothing works. Almost everything you buy has to go back because it doesn't fit the 2018 model or the instructions look nothing like the current bike.

Suzuki did a lot of big and small things not just right but a master class in motorcycle design. The bike is simple, easy to work on, built like a tank and works as well as anything out there. It's a really special bike. Now if they would only do it again...

Got Fairings today and they look amazing. Only opened 2 boxes, but what I've seen is really awesome. The camera does not do them justice at all. Colors are complex and lines are very sharp. In the photo the silver stripe looks grainy but it's actually very smooth and not as dark as it looks here. Also the Kanji looks more ghosted, here it looks more defined due to the low ambient light and the camera flash. More on Deuce Moto to follow, but they did a bang up job!

View attachment 1600904

View attachment 1600905
of course they look good...
One thing about the Busa is there is so much out there that bolts right up. You won't appreciate this until you work with something like the BMW where nothing works. Almost everything you buy has to go back because it doesn't fit the 2018 model or the instructions look nothing like the current bike.

Suzuki did a lot of big and small things not just right but a master class in motorcycle design. The bike is simple, easy to work on, built like a tank and works as well as anything out there. It's a really special bike. Now if they would only do it again...
they wont.... and even if they did, u could build something better and more powerful than anything Suzuki could warranty..... u can avoid forced induction only so long, but as time goes on and bikes get faster and faster...…….. eventually the busa either gets sold... or gets blown.... once blown... its REALLY a night and day difference its a totally different bike.

of course they look good...

they wont.... and even if they did, u could build something better and more powerful than anything Suzuki could warranty..... u can avoid forced induction only so long, but as time goes on and bikes get faster and faster...…….. eventually the busa either gets sold... or gets blown.... once blown... its REALLY a night and day difference its a totally different bike.

I honestly think the next Busa will be supercharged...One is coming, when, I couldn't tell you but it is.

I can also guarantee the insurance companies will band together and neuter bikes and cars before long.

If you ride FAST in the mountains you want NA bike , and not a Turbo . I am knowing , and ridden a few turbo bikes , and they are down right a blast . However leaned over at mach 1 its not the place for the bike to decide to spool up an extra 50 or 75 hp to the rear wheel when boost changes via a rpm down shift or throttle input .
There was a wonderful British road test done 10 or 12 years ago with 20 bikes , and a GSXR 750 turbo was the king on the dyno , and expected to be the victor on the road course . Sadly it placed nearly last due to its turbo not playing well for turns / power input / output . It was to much to control for even the BEST riders who knew the course . The ZX12R , and ZX636 produced the fastest lap times of the 20 bikes tested .
What Willie , Andrew , and I have are what a man can build on his own with no tuner help needed .
Also something to note when your total bike / rider weight is less than 650 lb , and you make 185 hp the horse power to weight ratio of a stage 1 250 hp bird with standard weight , and a today's normal size pilot you are in a 750 to 800 pound range . In the end NA is a 3.51 pounds per hp while a turbo is 3.2 lb per hp
Very close numbers .

If you ride FAST in the mountains you want NA bike , and not a Turbo . I am knowing , and ridden a few turbo bikes , and they are down right a blast . However leaned over at mach 1 its not the place for the bike to decide to spool up an extra 50 or 75 hp to the rear wheel when boost changes via a rpm down shift or throttle input .
There was a wonderful British road test done 10 or 12 years ago with 20 bikes , and a GSXR 750 turbo was the king on the dyno , and expected to be the victor on the road course . Sadly it placed nearly last due to its turbo not playing well for turns / power input / output . It was to much to control for even the BEST riders who knew the course . The ZX12R , and ZX636 produced the fastest lap times of the 20 bikes tested .
What Willie , Andrew , and I have are what a man can build on his own with no tuner help needed .
Also something to note when your total bike / rider weight is less than 650 lb , and you make 185 hp the horse power to weight ratio of a stage 1 250 hp bird with standard weight , and a today's normal size pilot you are in a 750 to 800 pound range . In the end NA is a 3.51 pounds per hp while a turbo is 3.2 lb per hp
Very close numbers .
lightening a bike up is a matter of plugging lightweight parts... wheels/battery.. subframe/axles... good swingarm/billet parts,,,, etc... just the busa exhaust weighs what 30 lbs? one can plug away at lightening up a bike slowly...and many people do... we all end up trying to mod these bikes... usually starting with the exhaust.

Very close numbers .
I was with you until you got to the normal size pilot....
:crazy:

I really look at the Busa (my Busa) as a "historic" bike. Sort of like you see guys racing old 2-strokes. People think that when something new comes out it's better because it's new, which is just not the case. I love what it is in the context of when it was a new bike and king of the road. No bike sits a top the throne forever, but once it leaves the throne that doesn't erase it's legacy. Most people can't use all of the stock Busa's power, not sure why they need more.

Back