10-Year Anniversary Freshen-up

I really look at the Busa (my Busa) as a "historic" bike. Sort of like you see guys racing old 2-strokes. People think that when something new comes out it's better because it's new, which is just not the case. I love what it is in the context of when it was a new bike and king of the road. No bike sits a top the throne forever, but once it leaves the throne that doesn't erase it's legacy. Most people can't use all of the stock Busa's power, not sure why they need more.

I know I certainly can't and won't use it to even half it's potential, my bike is tuned and makes lots of power already. It's a ferocious beast when unleashed...

I have owned legacy bikes which were surpassed by more capable bikes and although it would have been easy to jump on the band wagon and move with the flow, I stayed true to form and kept the bikes I loved.

With some people the draw to stay ahead of the pack becomes almost addictive.

What @c10 and others have said is spot on , I think what we are riding and also building ourselves is just exactly what we desire , in a motorcycle . If you can use more than that , well great , but for my money , my piped Busa is more than enough for me out on my favorite roads .

No matter how much power you make, or how you make it, there will always be someone who can spank your a$$ in your chosen venue. More power isn't always the answer. Becoming familiar with what you have and learning to use it effectively is what counts. The big 3 n/a builds discussed here, Andrew, Bryan and Willie, are beautiful examples of what can be done when forced induction isn't desired. There are some amazing examples of turbo, blower and nitrous bikes here as well. We learn early on in life that everyone likes different things, that's why there's more than one color crayon in the box. Do what makes you happy.

No matter how much power you make, or how you make it, there will always be someone who can spank your a$$ in your chosen venue. More power isn't always the answer. Becoming familiar with what you have and learning to use it effectively is what counts. The big 3 n/a builds discussed here, Andrew, Bryan and Willie, are beautiful examples of what can be done when forced induction isn't desired. There are some amazing examples of turbo, blower and nitrous bikes here as well. We learn early on in life that everyone likes different things, that's why there's more than one color crayon in the box. Do what makes you happy.

Completely Agree :beerchug:

Nothing wrong with adding more power or running a turbo but if you only put 2,000 miles or less on your bike in a calendar year you shouldn’t tell someone else what they need to do to their bike.....

Less talking/typing more riding :race:

I only ride for pleasure, I don't ride daily or to work. When I ride, it's usually an all day trip of at least 100 miles. My favorite thing to do on a Hayabusa is lean into a long fast sweeper. For some reason, I prefer to turn left (there is a joke there for you politically guys). Sometimes on my rides my max speed is only 100 mph or so, sometimes it's 175 mph. I have a couple great speed runs in my typical riding routes. They allow me to top out the bike in about as much safety as you are going to get on the street. But mostly I fly through corn lined roads that rarely see anything but tractors. I have never raced anyone, not even on the track. I'm just not competitive that way. I'll be the first to admit I'm slow, speed is not what was planned for this body and my skillset. Having the most squared away bike is far more important than having the fastest one.

I'm a technology guy. I like fumbling with the bike. Turbos are cool and fascinating. But they are not compatible with a guy who has no race instincts. I love them, respect them, am amazed at what can be done, but I don't want one at this point.

I only ride for pleasure, I don't ride daily or to work. When I ride, it's usually an all day trip of at least 100 miles. My favorite thing to do on a Hayabusa is lean into a long fast sweeper. For some reason, I prefer to turn left (there is a joke there for you politically guys). Sometimes on my rides my max speed is only 100 mph or so, sometimes it's 175 mph. I have a couple great speed runs in my typical riding routes. They allow me to top out the bike in about as much safety as you are going to get on the street. But mostly I fly through corn lined roads that rarely see anything but tractors. I have never raced anyone, not even on the track. I'm just not competitive that way. I'll be the first to admit I'm slow, speed is not what was planned for this body and my skillset. Having the most squared away bike is far more important than having the fastest one.

I'm a technology guy. I like fumbling with the bike. Turbos are cool and fascinating. But they are not compatible with a guy who has no race instincts. I love them, respect them, am amazed at what can be done, but I don't want one at this point.

I believe you and I share this sediment. I bought my bike to enjoy the ride and normally that ride is just above the posted speed limit. I will cruise faster on known roads but have no intentions on seeing "what the bike will do" as many others already have and I can live vicariously through them.

Grudge work today. It was really hot in the garage so I started doing stuff I could do inside. Swapped rubber grommets and lights into the new fairings. Finished the wiring diagram for the Amplink and started soldering in the maintenance plugs. It's a boring job but somebody has to do it.

never raced anyone? never? u never had anyone egg u on? I rode this bike less than a thousand miles and I had a zx10 try to get cute..... I think he is still confused... he looked young and I dont think he knew much about turbos.

Nope my ego lies in $100 million buildings, it's the only thing I am competitive about. I have had people get frustrated because they fly by and I just let them go. When you race on the street you are stepping down to the level of the guy who challenges you. They set the level of risk and to beat them you have to go a step farther as far as risk than they do. To me that's stupid. If you get a thrill out of it then by all means go for it. For me, it's pretty stupid to put my career, health, finances, and maybe life on the line to beat a guy who has nothing but a bike and bragging rights.

Nope my ego lies in $100 million buildings, it's the only thing I am competitive about. I have had people get frustrated because they fly by and I just let them go. When you race on the street you are stepping down to the level of the guy who challenges you. They set the level of risk and to beat them you have to go a step farther as far as risk than they do. To me that's stupid. If you get a thrill out of it then by all means go for it. For me, it's pretty stupid to put my career, health, finances, and maybe life on the line to beat a guy who has nothing but a bike and bragging rights.
sometimes ya gotta lay down the law..... and ure starting to sound like an after school commercial arch..... as far as ure health being on the line.... every time u leave ure house ure life is at risk..... digest it.... internalize it.... accept it.... its good to street race once and a while.

Last edited:

I'm with you, I enjoy the ride, there are times when the urge to stomp on it is strong, but I haven't survived all these years riding a bike to succumb to that urge and get hurt at this stage of my life. I love my bike and I know it's potential is wasted on me but don't care.

I know a couple of other "old coots" who own hot cars (2019 Vette, and 2019 Camaro SS) and they drive those cars very conservatively. These are 200mph cars but the owners think as we do, it is the ride that matters.

sometimes ya gotta lay down the law..... and ure starting to sound like an after school commercial arch..... as far as ure health being on the line.... every time u leave ure house ure life is at risk..... digest it.... internalize it.... accept it.... its good to street race once and a while.
I'm not saying I don't get crazy on occasion, I'm saying I do it on my terms, not on the terms of some guy I barely know. Riding is dangerous. I regularly hit 140-150 mph and occasionally run her up to 170+. I love hanging that knee out as much as the next guy. But Immature people take chances, adults take risks.

If you start your engine and don't understand there is a chance you could die today then you shouldn't be riding. I'm not preaching, you brought this up.

I'm not saying I don't get crazy on occasion, I'm saying I do it on my terms, not on the terms of some guy I barely know. Riding is dangerous. I regularly hit 140-150 mph and occasionally run her up to 170+. I love hanging that knee out as much as the next guy. But Immature people take chances, adults take risks.

If you start your engine and don't understand there is a chance you could die today then you shouldn't be riding. I'm not preaching, you brought this up.
lol.... chances/risks..... ure a regular Philadelphia lawyer today arch.... Ill take my chances and risk it.:popcorn:

Couldn’t agree more Arch...... You got nothing to prove to nobody and damn sure don’t have to explain yourself to squids. Everyone knows the risk associated with Motorcycles. That’s part of the allure the rush the feeling you get when you throw a leg over 1.

I like mixing it up with experienced riders. Not some punk squid with more $$$ than skill who thinks he can ride cause he can twist the throttle and hold on for dear life on a straight patch of highway. No idea or experience in turns, lean angle, trail braking etc. Riding or racing with Squids like that will get you or them or both hurt.

A person who holds no VALUE in your life isn’t WORTH proving NOTHING to......

Back