10-Year Anniversary Freshen-up

How the brake bar connects is different on that right side gen 2 has a square plate i believe.
That's right, the gen 1 has an under slung caliper anchored to the swing arm using a 'torque arm', a bar between the caliper and the underside of the arm.
The gen 2 has the caliper on the top of the rotor, mounted to a large plate type bracket slotted and that slides into a 'key' on the inner side of the RH side arm to anchor it.

Well it's been a crazy couple of days! After all of the craziness over the swingarm I finally got the bearings out and new ones installed. Then I got a friend at a testing lab we work with a lot at work to look at the metal. He looked it over, scratched some paint off it in areas and used something they use to inspect welds and he feels there is no obvious sign of damage to the arm.

After looking around, I can't find an arm I really like so I decided to stay with the OEM arm. There is always a risk a used arm is slightly bent or it has other problems. I found out the easy button on installing the arm is to lift it high and install it sort of in and down. The bearings were very worn, there is a big difference in the smoothness of the movement now. I also wonder how much weight you could drop by drilling the center portion of the tube. Most of the load is on the ends of the shaft, so you should be able to drill away a lot of the middle. Would be interesting to compare to a Ti shaft.

Tomorrow the fairings are due! And the rest of the CF comes next week. Finally headed to a conclusion.

View attachment 1600396

View attachment 1600397

View attachment 1600398
Beautiful job you're doing there Willie!
Your bike looks pristine . . absolutely stunning, THIS is why I want a Gen 2.

Better shot of rear wheel and brake. I'm starting to like it, very functional looking. Swingarm color black is off from frame. That's why I was going to go titanium, but I think even with the slight difference in shade and texture its better black.

I had to scrub some parts and where better than in the wife's $3K stainless steel kitchen sink? Of course she walks in right in the middle of the mess. She's not talking to me but that's good because the fairings are due tonight - may as well be cut off for that too and get it over with now. I'm telling you if I wasn't such a lovable teddy bear we might not have survived this! It's worse than a house remodel - I've had to add 3 or 4 purses and a watch to the budget!

Better shot of rear wheel and brake. I'm starting to like it, very functional looking. Swingarm color black is off from frame. That's why I was going to go titanium, but I think even with the slight difference in shade and texture its better black.

I had to scrub some parts and where better than in the wife's $3K stainless steel kitchen sink? Of course she walks in right in the middle of the mess. She's not talking to me but that's good because the fairings are due tonight - may as well be cut off for that too and get it over with now. I'm telling you if I wasn't such a lovable teddy bear we might not have survived this! It's worse than a house remodel - I've had to add 3 or 4 purses and a watch to the budget!

View attachment 1600413
MAN.... its almost like the architect of this bike actually has a clue.

View attachment 1600413
Ommmgg I love your adjuster that is beautiful Willie!!

How do you like the Sato vs the Vortex to current ? Any pros v cons for each.
I haven't ridden with the Satos but they are a bit higher than the Vortex. They look to be able to go further back, but I didn't measure them. The feel and operation of the Satos are very smooth though, especially the shifter - they make the Vortex feel agricultural in comparison. The build quality is amazing. I had a Vortex break on me when going through a switchback and I grounded it. That's not a knock on the Vortex though, as I believe that's what they were designed to do. Had it not broken, I would have gone down. Basically, if you don't have rear sets the Sato's are only about a 25-35% premium over Vortex and they are certainly worth that. If you already spent $300 on a set of rear sets, maybe not.

I can't say the Satos are the best thing out there, as my reference is just OEM & Vortex (and I haven't put any miles on the Satos). There are rumors that there are finish issues with the Satos, we'll see. The Driven D-axis units look amazing too if you can find a pair.

That's all I got for now!

I haven't ridden with the Satos but they are a bit higher than the Vortex. They look to be able to go further back, but I didn't measure them. The feel and operation of the Satos are very smooth though, especially the shifter - they make the Vortex feel agricultural in comparison. The build quality is amazing. I had a Vortex break on me when going through a switchback and I grounded it. That's not a knock on the Vortex though, as I believe that's what they were designed to do. Had it not broken, I would have gone down. Basically, if you don't have rear sets the Sato's are only about a 25-35% premium over Vortex and they are certainly worth that. If you already spent $300 on a set of rear sets, maybe not.

I can't say the Satos are the best thing out there, as my reference is just OEM & Vortex (and I haven't put any miles on the Satos). There are rumors that there are finish issues with the Satos, we'll see. The Driven D-axis units look amazing too if you can find a pair.

That's all I got for now!
WHERE ARE THE FAIRINGS???????????????? I wanna see the bike alllll together in an actual picture!

Back