Crashed on Wednesday...getting a lot of I told you so's?????

quirmche

Registered
75 year old lady made a left turn in front of me, I locked it up and I think the the rear slid left dumping me right. Anyway, broken right clavicle, fracture L5 transverse process on left, bruised left thigh, and I also got catheterized... lot's of fun. I don't know the condition of bike, I didn't see it before I was wisked away in an ambulance.

Anyway, In-laws, siblings, and friends...all non riders...want me to tell them I won't ride anymore. I can see it in their eyes. As sore as I am now it is tough to reassure myself. I still want to ride!

What have been your experiences with this?

Get back on the the Bike.............Any Bike, or it will Haunt You Forever. :rulez:

When it's your time..........It's your time...........SO Enjoy the Road that the Good Lord has given you and Let Him Worry about the Rest :bowdown:

Rest and heal up, then get back on and RIDE!....just watch out for those little old ladies next time.

To thine own self, be true.

If you want to ride, ride.

Glad you're (sort-of) okay.

If you read the safty mag that comes with the new bikes with the owners manuals,it tells you that the majority of bike wrecks happen when an on coming car makes a left turn in front of you,,thats what happened to me in 04,,I teeboned a pickup on a yamaha V-max at 60 mph,,it put me in the ecu,,,I went thru what you are,,everyone thought I was an idiot for wanting to ride again or to buy another bike,,they kept saying,,your not going to ride anymore are you,,my answer was this,,,I love and enjoy rideing,,Ive had that only one wreck in 30 yrs of rideing,,and if God wants me to quit,,I will,But I felt that he hadnt taken the deire away,,and I asked him to,,if this was a sign for me to quit,,,but he didnt,,,so I took the insurance money and bought a brand new 04 busa which I still own,,thanks to the Lord,,,,and by the way,,what I replied to them about getting back on a bike after haveing a wreck was,,,,,Have you ever had a car wreck/..they answered yes,,I asked them,,,why are you still driveing??,,,Ask the Lord,,,he will answer you,,,heal up and follow your heart my friend,,,,,,ps,,glad your alive and not paralyzed,praise the Lord

Get back on the the Bike.............Any Bike, or it will Haunt You Forever. :rulez:

When it's your time..........It's your time...........SO Enjoy the Road that the Good Lord has given you and Let Him Worry about the Rest :bowdown:

+1000
When its your time you could get hit crossing the street by a circus dwarf driving a clown car (not that there is anything wrong with that).

I'v written off 2 GenII's within 12 mnths, banged up yes, but I'll be getting back on, you've godda do what makes you happy !

#7.jpg

Meh! What do you want to do? If you can walk away from riding because others think you should (and still be happy with yourself) then do it. If you know inside yourself that you still want to ride as this is a passion to you, live your life on your own terms and ride.

People like to armchair quaterback other peoples lives thinking they know what's best for them...as was stated above "to thine own self be true" is a very prophetic statement. Hope you heal up soon!

Dude that sucks but for now just glad your ok. Forget about the bike and worry about yourself and getting better. My wife is the only one who will be able to convince me not to jump back up in that saddle again should that ever happen to me now. Crashed a few times on the street but never as a father or a married man. I do believe Bosshound is correct though. Just like a horse if it bucks you get back up on that thing and show it whos boss :)

I wasn’t going to share my story but it seems appropriate now, on the 14th I found out a friend had lost her 5mo old baby I guess you would say I stopped thinking. Long story short I took the busa out to get away and get some fresh air sometime around 3am I ran off the road (shallow rise mixed with a sharp unmarked 90deg turn) and I went through 16ft of fence. The dealer is looking for the cost of a frame I assume the bike is totaled it was an 08 I bought just under a year ago brand new. I had put 7500 miles on it in that year. I have three injuries from the wreck, a dislocated hip, a small cut on my left arm and I have a concussive disorder (massive concussion). I had most my gear on, helmet coat and gloves. The helmet is trashed to the point it is not exactly round and it is cracked in several locations. The gloves have hard knuckles and you can see exactly where they took a few beatings.
The point is even though I can’t put weight on my leg for a month, I’m not permitted to drive because of the concussion, the only two things I can think of are the sorrow for my friend and how am I going to be able to replace the bike. There is no if I’ll ride again, it is truly a matter of when. Everybody is different but you know inside if you want to get back on the saddle.

Best of luck to you and for a speedy recovery

IM006080.jpg

It's your call, no one on a chat forum can make it for you. You have to decide. Make no mistake and don't kid yourself, riding motorcycles is risky. You did not give much info about the crash, your bike or your riding experience. Are you a very safe rider? Are you a trained rider? How many years, miles have you ridden? Do you have children? Are you a crash looking for a place to happen?
Was this just a bad day? Could you have avoided it? Did you have the high beam lamp on in the day? Did you identify the driver as elderly and think she may pull into my path? Do you have a modulator on your headlight.
Are you aware of the main causes of MC crashes? Do you wear gear-all the time?
Are you willing to die or sit in a wheel chair the rest of your life?
Sorry if it sounds harsh, but these are things you should consider and not listen some one telling you to throw caution to the wind and just go jump back right into behavior that may kill you.
I had a similar choice to make many years ago. I landed up in ICU in 1996 close to death. I chose to never repeat that sport. The doctor that worked on me in the ER, urged me not to take the chance again. I listened to him but, made my own choice. Decided the pay off was not worth the risk.

you have time to regroup and make that decision for yourself, so mend up. sorry about the crash and hopefully the driver was ruled responsible. i've crashed once(minor bumps and bruises and major pride) back in 01' on my 1st bike and my family did the same thing.

1st Glad to see your still around to post and will heal up

I hear all the time about how dangerous riding is, I mean from everbody. Along time ago I decided I wasnt going to live my life wondering ( WHAT IF ) yeah Ive done some pretty stupid things in my life, But I have some pretty good memories and stories to tell. Ive been really lucky so far and havent come across any of those old ladies but I know there is always that chance, and that is a chance I am willing to live with to enjoy the thrill of riding.

Get back out there and ride man. Riding is way too enjoyable to stop. Just gotta look far ahead for those idiots trying to kill you. Then again ive been riding for 4 years and still havent gone down yet.....

Great advice given as usual. I say get back on the bike. When I crashed my 06 last year I was more pissed and in pain then I was anything. I couldn't stand being without my bike. It took about 2 weeks for me to get an 08. Get back on the bike because it will haunt you if you don't. It will make you more cautious when you come up on lights and stop's. Tell your family that they are understood and their thoughts are welcome. Sorry about the off and glad you are ok. Take the time to rest up. You can do it! :thumbsup:

The way I look at it is this;

2 types of motorcyclists. Those that have crashed and those that WILL crash again. I've crashed(though I didn't get nearly as hurt as you) and know it'll happen again, too many factors outside my control. But I can live with that because I gear up completely and love to ride.

People that think they'll never crash are the types that quit riding after their first crash, it ends up being a reality check.

Thank you for your perspectives and well wishes they were all helpful!

I'll post some more details when I feel a little better.

Heal up and worry about riding later,,the polls say that motorcycle wrecks ussually happen 6 months into starting to ride,,I had mine fall over of minor mishaps when i strated rideing 30 plus yrs ago..but I had a major horrific wreck in 04,,,,,, and go figure my wife started rideing 6 yrs ago,,and 3 yrs ago she went thru a blind 90 degree turn and broke her elbow at the joint and they flew her to texas for emergency surgery..she still rides,,but rarely and is skidish,,,,I am too ,exspecially going thru intersections,,,I slow down and look hard eventho the light is green,,,my brother does the same after his wreck a while back,
also Daviesmi , Im sorry for your loss,,I pray thet Lord blesses you with another bike,and Im glad your ok too,,,,,,

Last edited:
Bro , Glad it wasn't worse that what it was .
Take your time healing up and then consider your options when you get better . Nobody can tell you to stay off a bike or ride again , only you will know . Goodluck with your decision . Right or Wrong it will be up to you .

Glad to hear that your ok. Its your call on the bike though. It looks like you have some time to think about it.

Back