Risers: Heli Bars vs. Genmar

AJAY

Registered
I've had a 1.25" thick Genmar riser on my for about 6 weeks Not a lot of time riding them with all the winter weather, but enough to know they were tons more comfortable for me than the stock bars. Note that this is taller of the two Genmar risers.

Still, I wasn't too thrilled with that big block of aluminum underneath the top bar clamp (some folks call it a triple tree, even if it's not). The key is way down there and so are the suspension adjustments for the forks.

So I bought a set of Heli-Bars and nstalled them today. The following are only my first impressions, but the short of it is that I am kind of mixed between the two ways to raise the bars.

Looks: The Heli Bars win hands down. You barely notice them when you look at them. The whole installation is much cleaner than the Genmar risers. Both are really nicely made, but the Heli Bars just look stock where the Genmar looks like an add-on.

Comfort: Well, this is why I wanted risers and this is where I am mixed. With the Genmar, the bars were higher than stock, but I still had some pressure on my wrists - a lot less pressure than stock, but still some pressure. The Heli Bars are about the same height, but a little further back and angled up a little. You sit somewhere between leaning forward and sitting upright with almost no pressure on my wrists. It's comfortable but less sporty. And where my shoulders and arms supported my back a little bit with the Genmar riser, my back seems to be working harder with the Heli Bars.

My plan was to sell my Genmar riser to help pay for the Heli Bars, but now I'm not sure. I'll ride with the new Heli Bars for a couple weeks and see if I start liking them better.

Also, I still have to complete the Buell footpeg mod. This will lower my feet about an inch and may lean me back forward, making me like the position of the Heli Bars better.

Some pics below. The Genmar is chromed, so it's easy to spot. Couple of closeups of the Heli Bars.

Bottom line for now, I would not pay more for the Heli Bars than the Genmar risers. Other than looks, I think I like the Genmar better.

genmar 1.JPG

Genmar 2.JPG

P1060567 [640x480].JPG

P1060568 [640x480].JPG

P1060569 [640x480].JPG

I too have an 1 1/4" GenMar.
In fact I've had one on each of my Busas.

For me it was perfect because in addition to rising the bars I lowered the front, by pulling the forks up through the clamps (therefore having the preload adjusters fill those holes)

Once you've done that, no one will even notice there is a riser on there.

With the front lowered the bike not only turns in quicker but, looks nastier.

Finally, most (if not all) other machined aftermarket bar clamps actually narrow the final bar position by about 10 degrees each side.

I have sold several sets of heli's to guys that replaced the genmar and they seem to like the heli better..I think after some riding time you will be happy with the switch..

heli bars, i have ran each , decided to stay with the heli bare, more comofortable.

I have the Heli Bars and the Zero Gravity Touring screen. I like the looks of the bars but I'm not sold on the looks of the screen. I will give it this weekend then report the facts on both. Wardie

I have both (but the 1 inch genmar); and love it. Can ride a long time without pain.

I can only coment on the genmar as those are the only ones I have any saddle time with(friends bike). Yes they do a good job but look awful. If you can get a simular feeling to the genmars with the heli's and a stock look, to me that'a the way to go. Ride the bike a few weeks, anytime you change the riding position it may take a little time for the body to adjust.

I have both (but the 1 inch genmar); and love it. Can ride a long time without pain.

yep

or invest in longer cables and run 1 1/2 spacer and helibars

or variobars...convertibars lsl bar kit...etc etc etc etc.

I have a cheap set of bars with lines and cables if anyone is interested.

Any 08 owners that has their bikes lowered and still have risers and heli bars?

still cant find an answer on this board...

I have a brock clamp, lowered and have the issue of the brake lever hitting the plastics.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

to further this comfort, I have the heli bars and the zero doubble bubble and the buell peg mod, It all works very well together, I love to ride I have 23,400 on my 2007 busa i bought new in july 2007. Check in to the buell pegs.

to further this comfort, I have the heli bars and the zero doubble bubble and the buell peg mod, It all works very well together, I love to ride I have 23,400 on my 2007 busa i bought new in july 2007. Check in to the buell pegs.
I'm getting much more used to the Heli Bars. Still a little mixed on them, but agree that the lower Buell pegs should make a difference. Maybe I'll get those done next weekend....

I have the Genmar 1 1/4" risers and am waiting for a New Image seat which should allow me to sit me about 1 1/2" lower into the bike. Don't know if you are happy with your stock saddle, but having the risers and a cut down seat may help your ergo's and give you some relief to your wrist pressure issues. Just a thought...:dunno:

+1 on the Heli's. On had the GenMar on my '06 and put the Heli on my '08. IMO-the Heli's rock!

Not to dig up an old thread. But I have the soupys 1" risers and I tried the helibars and the helibars didn't see as high as the risers at all. So I sent the helibars back. Could I have installed something wrong? lol

Back