GREG at gpw

davapors

Registered
Hay Greg your seem to be the expert on air filters.
So could you tell me if a pipercross street filter flows worst than stock.
I no the race version flows better but does the street flow wors.

man i would would stick with a stocker if your asking yes all off them actaully flow worse then stock from what i have read

We have not tested the STREET Pipercross vs. the OEM. I would keep the OEM, the STREET Pipercross offers a lifetime warranty and clean and go maintenance if that is a factor in your decision. Any other questions call, I don't get on here often we are super slammed now. :beerchug:

man for the money find a bmc or kn or just stay stock alot easier unless your really getting it to it then i would go to bmc i love moine

why not put the race unit in?
emission issues????
we dont have bike emission testing here, yet.
asking cuz i'm getting a filter soon, maybe bmc race.
of course the bike will be used for off-road only:laugh:

In life you always have to give up something to get something. IMO the race filters flow better but allow more crap to go through your motor.

I'd like to see if the OEM flows enough for the Brocks, and Muzzy high flow pipes.

I almost always recommend a stock filter until it's dirty enough to need replacing. Then, choose what you want.

Now, if your looking for every ounce of power, an aftermarket filter will likely help.
Posted via Mobile Device

Unless you are raceing and have an engine that requires more air intake stick with the stock filter. Adding and aftermarket filter does hardly anything for you what so ever when I had my bike on the dyno a while back and there was only like a .5hp gain and that was it.:welcome:

In life you always have to give up something to get something. IMO the race filters flow better but allow more crap to go through your motor.

I'd like to see if the OEM flows enough for the Brocks, and Muzzy high flow pipes.
yep exactly... I am a fan of stock filters and I would bet I could change filters around in most anyones bike and they could not tell me which was which by ET.. (most) Ryan could probably cut consistent enough times to etch out the tenth :) (now if I could get on his dyno SOME DAY)

The stock is hard to beat, like stated earlier, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I have the Piper Cross Race just because I wanted it, I can't tell any difference from when the stock was in it.

Real race filters (if such a thing) are usually not very good at keeping garbage (read fine particles) out of the motor..

Race engines are torn down and re-done on a regular basis.. Our drag motors came apart every pass on fuel and the gas drag motor might get 5 miles between tear downs.. in that short of a time, little damage can occur from the normal small silicates you find in normal road use.. Race filter is to keep big stuff out..

On the road however? thousands of miles on a filter that allows these small particles to pass through? heck with that... I want CLEAN air going in my motors and if you have any doubts about what is getting past the filter, put a thin smear of grease inside the air box after the filter... check it in a few thousand miles.. it should be spotless..

Race does not equal street... (and dirty filters clean better than a new one)

I'm using a PiperCross street filter. I'm not totally happy with it since it does not seal well to the airbox around the filter edge. The filter is quite thin and weak, which invites to unfiltered air passage at the lower rear of the filter. I did a quick and dirty fix by cleaning the pre-greased sealing and glued it into the airbox rail. This is really something one does not want to do, but the choice was to throw the filter, allow for unfiltered air, or glue it tight :unhappy:

I'm using a PiperCross street filter. I'm not totally happy with it since it does not seal well to the airbox around the filter edge. The filter is quite thin and weak, which invites to unfiltered air passage at the lower rear of the filter. I did a quick and dirty fix by cleaning the pre-greased sealing and glued it into the airbox rail. This is really something one does not want to do, but the choice was to throw the filter, allow for unfiltered air, or glue it tight :unhappy:
They do have a lifetime warranty, if you got one from me just send it back. We use the filter very often on the Gen II and it does take some time to be sure its properly seated before you put the air box cover on. I have and one of our sponsored Land Speed racers has notified Pipercross England of this. I found using a blow dryer on it for 15 seconds softens it up enough for a perfect seat. I agree not what you should have to do but it works.

We brought Pipercross filters to the USA. Testing showed foam layers flowed better than cotton at the time. I am sure they will get it all sorted shortly.

Greg

Last edited:
I would also like to see a bearing, cylinder wall or piston wear test that actually shows the long or short term negatives of using a RACE spec filter over a STREET. I understand the theory. I understand the unfiltered argument but we tear down lots of motors with race filters and over 15,000 miles on the ticker and there are zero signs of damage over a bike using a stock filter. Nor have we seen a drop in performance over time. Again actual data is the only way you can measure if something works or it does not.

The key factor is keeping good clean oil in the bike. If someone has done any actual wear & tear testing please post the results, pictures and measurements taken. Should make for a great read and may prompt me to do a six month study and review. :beerchug:

I would also like to see a bearing, cylinder wall or piston wear test that actually shows the long or short term negatives of using a RACE spec filter over a STREET. I understand the theory. I understand the unfiltered argument but we tear down lots of motors with race filters and over 15,000 miles on the ticker and there are zero signs of damage over a bike using a stock filter. Nor have we seen a drop in performance over time. Again actual data is the only way you can measure if something works or it does not.

The key factor is keeping good clean oil in the bike. If someone has done any actual wear & tear testing please post the results, pictures and measurements taken. Should make for a great read and may prompt me to do a six month study and review. :beerchug:
The only "proper" studies I have found are for "oil filters" vs "oil screens" But I have seen motors torn down in the southwest were ring end gaps and cylinder taper were really excessive on big automotive motors..

Not sure this issue would be universal however as the amount of "silica" in the air in the southwest is amazingly high over what I have seen in the mid-west..

The "grease smear" was something the Clint Brawner showed us a lot of years ago (indy car guy) I will dig and see if I can find any real info on the abrasion problems. I do know with the KN filters we would find grit in the grease on automotive motors..

If I was seeking every last pony for the track , I would probably not run a filter at all or just enough filter to clean up the air flow through the throttle bodies.. Got no time at all working on induction systems on bikes but on open motors, the turbulence has given us a bit of grief that was fixed by screens or a single baffle plate..

What does come to mind, why would BMC/Pipercross build filters for both apps? would it not just be cheaper product wise to say , Here is out filter? makes no difference race or street? (and just how much power difference is there on a stock application?)

Still people out there that say smoking is not bad for you or second hand smoke is not bad for you.. 40 years of that debate and even now, disputed.. I just wonder if trying to outguess the guys that say this is a "Race Filter" and this is a "Street filter" is such a good idea..

Last edited:
The only "proper" studies I have found are for "oil filters" vs "oil screens" But I have seen motors torn down in the southwest were ring end gaps and cylinder taper were really excessive on big automotive motors..

Not sure this issue would be universal however as the amount of "silica" in the air in the southwest is amazingly high over what I have seen in the mid-west..

The "grease smear" was something the Clint Brawner showed us a lot of years ago (indy car guy) I will dig and see if I can find any real info on the abrasion problems. I do know with the KN filters we would find grit in the grease on automotive motors..

If I was seeking every last pony for the track , I would probably not run a filter at all or just enough filter to clean up the air flow through the throttle bodies.. Got no time at all working on induction systems on bikes but on open motors, the turbulence has given us a bit of grief that was fixed by screens or a single baffle plate..

What does come to mind, why would BMC/Pipercross build filters for both apps? would it not just be cheaper product wise to say , Here is out filter? makes no difference race or street? (and just how much power difference is there on a stock application?)

Still people out there that say smoking is not bad for you or second hand smoke is not bad for you.. 40 years of that debate and even now, disputed.. I just wonder if trying to outguess the guys that say this is a "Race Filter" and this is a "Street filter" is such a good idea..
All good reading...thanks

Last edited:
......and it does take some time to be sure its properly seated before you put the air box cover on. I have and one of our sponsored Land Speed racers has notified Pipercross England of this. I found using a blow dryer on it for 15 seconds softens it up enough for a perfect seat. I agree not what you should have to do but it works.....
Greg

Good to hear I'm not alone. Pipercross should have spent more time developing the filter for Busa 08; it is real bad it is not safely preventing from unfiltered air. The Busa doesn't need this type of crap.

so which maker are you finding to have the best "off the shelf" quality?

Back