Insulated Airbox

brad

Registered
Using 1/4" thick HVAC insulation I covered the bottom half of the airbox (every contour) and installed a remote digital thermometer (radio shack cheepie).
Results are a much lower intake air temperature-on the move with the biggest difference (140 degrees down to 80 degrees) in stop and go traffic.
Do not have access to a dyno and cannot tell by the seat of my pants, but much better throttle response in the stop and go traffic.
Dense air = more power, correct?

IM006365.JPG

does the busa have a IAT sensor? if it is one of the sensors at the bottom of the box it too, would have to be isolated otherwise heat soak would nullify all cooler air taken in. I would think that that would also have to be isolated also. great idea though! can I pick this stuff up at lowe's?

IAT has been relocated to the right intake runner. Not sure if Lows carries the stuff. Ours was left over from a heater installation (central air).

(brad @ Oct. 15 2006,12:52) IAT has been relocated to the right intake runner.  Not sure if Lows carries the stuff.  Ours was left over from a heater installation (central air).
Pics of relocated IAT? (with instructions?)

ECU should keep airflow stoichometric regardless of the air density/temp... i.e not worrying about riding up the mountain... SO shouldn’t much matter if the air is hot or cold. Therefore any performance you 'feel' is probably the engine running slightly cooler, so maybe a smidgeon of difference... Anyone else? Or am I way off in left field?

left field brother, it should keep it a bit richer then stoich most times because that is quite lean on the throttle in reality. and keeping it stoich (or whatever A/F it wants) is what would make a little more power... the cooler denser air would make it leaner so the ecu would add more fuel to maintain the A/F it wants, there for cooling the intake charge you get more air (because the cooler the denser) which in turn adds more fuel and now more bang out of the combustion equating to more power... how much well not sure but more yes (you could figure out exactly on a dyno, or theroetically with a formula if you search for it and calculate it but it would be missing other variables and would not be actual power).

Back