I think Im calling BS on this

jch364

Registered
So I found this add and I really think its bs. What do you think?
performanceandperfection.com is the website. They say that they have this miracle mod that you do to your airbox which cost only $149 for your do it yourself version or $200 for them to do it. It is basically insulation for the airbox and they claim it lowers the airbox temp by up to 50 degrees and will boost hp by 4 to 7 hp and give you as much as 2 to 4tenths e.t. times better because of the so called cooler air flow into the intake because of the insulation on the air box.....Ok. by far no expert here and on the face I guess in some small way it makes a little sense but I just dont see it. Plus I mean, $150 for some sticky insulation?
what do you folks think????

Gains are bs. Theory is sound but your already darwing in outside air and its not gonna cool going through you intake without a heat exchanger. If the air were being drawn into the box from under the tank and the box were to get heatsoaked maybe this could help. But its not the case and is basically a waste. It takes A LOT to heat soak plastic.
Posted via Mobile Device

It's a thermal blanket, if it keeps heat out, it will keep heat in. In other words, eventually the air box will heat up, the blanket will hold the heat. Looks like snake oil.

It's a thermal blanket, if it keeps heat out, it will keep heat in. In other words, eventually the air box will heat up, the blanket will hold the heat. Looks like snake oil.

SSSSsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss........ :laugh:

Agreed!

Maybe they need to sell a refrigerator that'll bolt on the airbox and provide a longer extension cord? :rofl:

Or sell a Ice chest airbox and you pack it with dry ice.....:rofl:

Or sell a jar of artic air that you open up in front of your airbox......or better yet a NOS bottle filled with artic air.......:rofl:

But you gotta give it to the clowns for determination, to pry money out of your pocket! :rofl:

Seems to make a little sense. If the insulation reflected enough engine heat energy (radiant heat) it would keep the air box cooler. Think about the insulation heat shield on the space shuttle. Stays cool in the shuttle. I think it would work best when the air was cool and dense.

Anyway I think the gains stated would be at the very high end of the results bell curve!

Last edited:
Problem is plastic doesn't transfer heat well and the amount of air flowing will negate any transfer. It takes plastic a while to get hot but when it does it stays hot because it can't trasfer the heat out.
Posted via Mobile Device

So I found this add and I really think its bs. What do you think?
performanceandperfection.com is the website. They say that they have this miracle mod that you do to your airbox which cost only $149 for your do it yourself version or $200 for them to do it. It is basically insulation for the airbox and they claim it lowers the airbox temp by up to 50 degrees and will boost hp by 4 to 7 hp and give you as much as 2 to 4tenths e.t. times better because of the so called cooler air flow into the intake because of the insulation on the air box.....Ok. by far no expert here and on the face I guess in some small way it makes a little sense but I just dont see it. Plus I mean, $150 for some sticky insulation?
what do you folks think????

I understand why these small numbers are so big to big time racers. But I don't think that this is targeting the true Drag enthusiast, or Pro(specially at 149 bucks).
This is for the guy who knows nothing about hp or et's (like me, I admit it). This type of marketing is for the few that see it and make a quick buy thinking, (well I don't know what they are thinking), but they believe that a few extra pony's are going to be great at that price, and then they buy it and realize there is really little difference but still maintain that they gained extra hp for little cost and but no show.
Just my 2ct's
BTW - I am calling this (You know what) as well.

Bubba

Last edited:
Already got my dose of snake oilz. Twin turbonators mounted in the ram air tubes. Pretty much blows a stage 2 setup out of the water.
Posted via Mobile Device

hrm. sounds like it's dynamat. sticky with foil on the top. maybe i'll dynamat my airbox.

The air passing through the air box is enough to keep the plastic at a decent temp.Even if it did do anything it wouldn't be worth 150.00.

Back