Eliminate the need for an intercooler?

lol, it burn't a hole through my new air hose once, just barely laid on it for a few seconds..

In your examples you are only referring the transfer of compressed air, not the actual compressing of air, here is a simple test for you with some logic you might understand, drain your air compressor and then start it up, after has ran for 10 minutes or so, lick or kiss the discharge tube that leaves the compressor head and fills the tank, let me know how that feels,

Richard

If anyone was paying attention, in my first post on this thread, I was wondering about how much heat getting to the intake air could be avoided by using non-thermally conductive materials at the mating points of the cool and hot side of the turbocharger, and I'm still wondering that?

Now I'm starting to get a grasp on the percentages that different elements induce heat into the air, and with that, I can see that there is no avoiding the Constant Gas Law, but still... 50 degrees at 1atm is quite a lot isn't it?

Sean

I like that you are thinking outside the box, at the minimum you gain personal understanding and at the best, you end up with ideas that change the world.

This one probably falls under the personal understanding category though.

The thing that you are missing in your example is the volume of air that flows into a engine at high rpm. A turbo Gen2 Busa will eat more than 400CFM of air at 11,000rpm and 1 bar of boost. At that volume of air, think about how much time it spends in contact with the compressor housing. If you really want to dive in, learn / do the math to figure out how much heat transfer occurs in that amount of time (you'll have to make some guesses and learn some fluid dynamics). You'll find that the amount of heat transfer from contact with the compressor housing is minimal, the vast majority of the heat added is from compression. There are some small gains to be had from thermal isolation or thermal coatings (more to keep heat energy in the hot side), but hard to justify much cost.

At idle, the amount of air flow is very small, thus the heating effect from a hot compressor housing is more significant.

I used to know more about this, for a while I was working on a peltier based thermoelectric intercooler, a lot of fluid dynamics (and electrical) math later, I decided that it probably isn't all that feasible (kind of the reverse direction of your questions).

If you just want to play with a decent adiabatic calculator from a boost perspective, check out this one...

Stealth 316 - Turbo Outlet Temperature

Heck, check out Jeff's whole page (especially the technical page... Stealth 316 - Technical Information ), lot of fun stuff on there.

If anyone would like to correct me, I'm open to it, it has been more than a few years since I dabbled in this direction.

I have several of the stealth 316 pages bookmarked, been very handy references over the yrs including the turbo outlet temp but just about forgot it was there in receint times
Thanks for refreshing :)

Back