Why no more air to air Intercooler

FILT166

Registered
How come there’s no more air to air Intercooler like there was years before?
Does the air to air restrict that much efficiency, too big to fit in the plastics or makes the bike over heat up to easily?
I see there’s an air to water setup from rcc but a2a is usually pretty good over all.
Let’s hear from everyone that thinks or knows it...

15-2022-rudy-sanzoterra-04.jpg

15-2022-rudy-sanzoterra-03.jpg

15-2022-rudy-sanzoterra-01.jpg

The air to air, while effective on cars, just weren’t that great on bikes. They’re better then nothing, but they had many drawbacks.

The biggest issue is overheating. The old a2a’s covered the entire radiator with a 2.25” thick core, and that made it hard even with 2 fans to keep bikes cool stop light to stop light.

The next issue is tire clearance. If you have the front of the bike lowered even an once, the tire almost always would hit on big bumps, even on the innercoolers that were botched out in the middle to give extras clearance.

They’re not as efficient as a2w. With the a2a you were only limited to a max of 12psi, and pushing it at 14psi (320ish HP) on pump fuel. With the a2w you can currently go up to 22psi, or roughly 430hp on pump fuel. We’ve even ran them as high as 26psi.

With a 1” thick heat exchanger you can get the bike as low as you’d like with a stock radiator and not have to worry about running the tire in to the exchanger.

Yeah, I remember the heating up issues back in the days and now I remember about the front tire hitting when lowered or coming down hard from a wheelie etc...
good to know as I couldn’t remember and with the cars the a2a is good for a daily vs an a2w as a daily.
I used to have a grand national and a typhoon, so I’ve been on both sides of the Intercooler setups stock and upgraded versions to keep IATs down on pump gas.
Thanks for the info

Back