Dyno question

rdnckjim

Registered
Just how much can a dyno help out? got a mean flat spot at 2500 rpm , pcv is on it right now with brocks map but wondering how much better it can get with a dyno.

You can always do better with a custom map. As good as Brock's work may be, it's still a canned map which was not made with your specific bike.

Dyno tune will help, but dropping the PCV and having it ECU tuned will even be better.

Dyno tune will help, but dropping the PCV and having it ECU tuned will even be better.

Sorry, but I do not agree at all. A powercommander custom mapped by the right person will ALWAYS generate a better FUEL map than Ecu Editor ever could. It is more about the software than anything else . . . but I would still strongly recommend some Ecu Editor "tweaking" along with the pc custom map. I've said this time and time again. DO3 - please, no disrespect, but have you ever actually tuned anything? I seem to be the only tuner on this board that ever comments about this, and IMO, any opinion should actually be based on some kind of experience, don't you think? I respect all opinions and the people behind them, but again, there should be some basis for that opinion . . . :laugh:

Sorry, but I do not agree at all. A powercommander custom mapped by the right person will ALWAYS generate a better FUEL map than Ecu Editor ever could. It is more about the software than anything else . . . but I would still strongly recommend some Ecu Editor "tweaking" along with the pc custom map. I've said this time and time again. DO3 - please, no disrespect, but have you ever actually tuned anything? I seem to be the only tuner on this board that ever comments about this, and IMO, any opinion should actually be based on some kind of experience, don't you think? I respect all opinions and the people behind them, but again, there should be some basis for that opinion . . . :laugh:

so your saying you should run a pc with a tune on top of a ecu tune?... i have experience tuning as we were taught how to at MMI and i have mapped several bikes with a pc but shouldnt a ecu tune be more exact tune than a power commander... for years cars have been tuned via eprom etc and which is more accurate than a piggy back system which just adds values to a already existing map..

so your saying you should run a pc with a tune on top of a ecu tune?... i have experience tuning as we were taught how to at MMI and i have mapped several bikes with a pc but shouldnt a ecu tune be more exact tune than a power commander... for years cars have been tuned via eprom etc and which is more accurate than a piggy back system which just adds values to a already existing map..

No. What I am saying is that you should use Ecu Editor to remove all factory restrictions, modify timing, rev limit cuts and rpms, remove factory timing retard values in lower gears, manipulate STPs, control shift lights and/or nitrous setups, and I even advocate using it for boostfuel tuning on Gen 2s; but as far as the main fuel map in the ecu, my opinion is that it should be left alone. This is why: Ecu Editor does a lot of things, much more than a powercommander. And Ecu Editor should be used for those things. There is one thing that a powercommander does better: fuel mapping. This is because the available software to map a pc box is much more advanced that what Ecu Editor offers. Mapping a bike's main fuel tables using Ecu Editor is like mapping a bike using a PCII, which any tuner knows is like going back 100 years. What I am also saying is that until you have used BOTH, you cannot honestly comment on which one is better. And although my opinion is set until something better comes along, I would recommend that anyone looking to get his bike tuned should probably talk to several tuners first, choose one and then go with what that tuner prefers and is comfortable with . . .:whistle:

No. What I am saying is that you should use Ecu Editor to remove all factory restrictions, modify timing, rev limit cuts and rpms, remove factory timing retard values in lower gears, manipulate STPs, control shift lights and/or nitrous setups, and I even advocate using it for boostfuel tuning on Gen 2s; but as far as the main fuel map in the ecu, my opinion is that it should be left alone. This is why: Ecu Editor does a lot of things, much more than a powercommander. And Ecu Editor should be used for those things. There is one thing that a powercommander does better: fuel mapping. This is because the available software to map a pc box is much more advanced that what Ecu Editor offers. Mapping a bike's main fuel tables using Ecu Editor is like mapping a bike using a PCII, which any tuner knows is like going back 100 years. What I am also saying is that until you have used BOTH, you cannot honestly comment on which one is better. And although my opinion is set until something better comes along, I would recommend that anyone looking to get his bike tuned should probably talk to several tuners first, choose one and then go with what that tuner prefers and is comfortable with . . .:whistle:

personally i wasnt saying ecu is better i was just saying on cars it tends to be superior over piggy back systems.... thats why i asked the question. And i understand the pcii concept it sucks... but i thought the new version of the ecu editor was vastly superior

I guess I just don't get the logic of the Argument. A stand alone PCV will control one set of injectors and has no where near the number TPS positions that can adjusted. Wouldn't a wider range of available Throttle Positions that can have fuel cut or added give the tuner more ability to fine tune the fueling not to mention that it can control the IAP map which a single PCV can not do? I have no personal experience with Johnny Cheese but it seems that he is a highly regarded builder and tuner. Doesn't he highly promote the use of ECU editor for mapping purposes? If PCV will "ALWAYS generate a better FUEL map than ECU Editor ever could" then why would he not be advocating this method for his customers?

With the ECU Editor you can tune the IAP(Intake Air Pressure)portion of the map in addition to the TPS portion. I like to call it 3 dimensional tuning opposed to 2 dimensional with just TPS and RPM. Sure, with the IAP only having an effect under 10% throttle it doesn't do jack for a dragracer but it sure helped out the driveability of mine when I went from Brocks' map to one I autotuned with EE Editor. And now with the plug and play datalogger/flasher that's about to be released the autotune will be much easier and faster.

A dyno tune with a PC will do a lot but not as much as editor or ecu unleashed.On the dyno the tuner can look thru the rpms and see where the bike needs fuel and needs fuel taken away.

Your no disrespect has my nose bleeding, but anyway.....I'm not a mechanic nor have I ever tuned a motor of any sort, well as far as A/F tuning goes anyway. I read a lot of post from guys who do and the guys that are developing the ECU editor software. You stated long ago that you liked the PC's. Not a problem. I think ...... don't know.......that the latest release of the ECU editor has corrected the problem you speak of. My point was that the PCV without an additional piggyback module that they like ( it's very expensive, I've read the PCV and piggyback module run north of $700.00 ) will not control the primaries and the secondaries, and finally most asking questions like this aren't competing but riding around town and aren't looking for that perfect tune.

I made a simple suggestion that I thought would help and regardless of your expert opinion believe to be a good suggestion.

I guess I need to be a little more careful with my post and make sure that no one mistakes me for knowing anything.

Do you have the latest release in the ECU Editing software ?

Please feel free to correct any mistakes in this post.

With the ECU Editor you can tune the IAP(Intake Air Pressure)portion of the map in addition to the TPS portion. I like to call it 3 dimensional tuning opposed to 2 dimensional with just TPS and RPM. Sure, with the IAP only having an effect under 10% throttle it doesn't do jack for a dragracer but it sure helped out the driveability of mine when I went from Brocks' map to one I autotuned with EE Editor. And now with the plug and play datalogger/flasher that's about to be released the autotune will be much easier and faster.[/QUOTE
What is IAP.These have a IAT.is the IAP the same as the MAP sensor changes??I have done some tuning so just curious of the IAP.

With the ECU Editor you can tune the IAP(Intake Air Pressure)portion of the map in addition to the TPS portion. I like to call it 3 dimensional tuning opposed to 2 dimensional with just TPS and RPM. Sure, with the IAP only having an effect under 10% throttle it doesn't do jack for a dragracer but it sure helped out the driveability of mine when I went from Brocks' map to one I autotuned with EE Editor. And now with the plug and play datalogger/flasher that's about to be released the autotune will be much easier and faster.[/QUOTE
What is IAP.These have a IAT.is the IAP the same as the MAP sensor changes??I have done some tuning so just curious of the IAP.

From my reading only it senses pressure changes that happen as you change elevation and adjust fueling to compensate for that change. An expert will be along.

I neglected to state that it also compensates for pressure changes caused by atmospheric changes due to weather conditions.

OK! This post has me up in the air. I have a PC3 and was thinking of getting it put on and dyno'd next week. Now, I am hearing the ECU editor is better. I want the best bang for my buck and I want it right. So the ECU editor can remove the restrictions? I currently have restriction TRE on it. I am inthe Norther Virginia area, so if anybody knows a reputable person to go let me know, and ECU v/s PC3

Thanks

Steve

The IAP map controls fueling at less than 10% throttle. The TPS map controls fueling at anything above 10%. If you are cruising around town at 3K rpms then the bike is fueling from the IAP map and if it is not right the bike will not run smoothly between the transition from IAP to TPMS and thus the reason for the common flat spot (at light throttle) around 3K rpms.

The editor is the way to go if you can find someone who tunes with it.My tuner uses ecu unleashed and think its pretty much the same.Does IAP get its readinds from the MAP??I didnt see a baro sensor on there.Tell me more.I am a sponge and need to know more.

OK! This post has me up in the air. I have a PC3 and was thinking of getting it put on and dyno'd next week. Now, I am hearing the ECU editor is better. I want the best bang for my buck and I want it right. So the ECU editor can remove the restrictions? I currently have restriction TRE on it. I am inthe Norther Virginia area, so if anybody knows a reputable person to go let me know, and ECU v/s PC3

Thanks

Steve

IMHO, using Ecu Editor to remove all the restrictions AND a PC to tune the bike is the best you can do. POWERHOUSE is an Ecu Unleashed tuning center, we also use Ecu Editor almost every day. We also - in addition - use powercommanders to build custom maps. My opinion is based on the fact that I have been there, done that. I am not basing this opinion on something I HEARD . . .

IMHO, using Ecu Editor to remove all the restrictions AND a PC to tune the bike is the best you can do. POWERHOUSE is an Ecu Unleashed tuning center, we also use Ecu Editor almost every day. We also - in addition - use powercommanders to build custom maps. My opinion is based on the fact that I have been there, done that. I am not basing this opinion on something I HEARD . . .
having had my bike done at powerhouse.i would highly respect what this man has to say.

Anybody know of a place that is close to Norther Virginia (stafford, va) that has the software to do an ECU tune and a Power commander tune?

Back