which is better... PCIII or PC5?

myfirstbusa

Registered
I have no clue as to which is better, I just bought the 5 cause Brock's said to. haha. So, which is better in everyone's opinion?

As on PC's web site that is what is offered now!

If they still offered the PC3, would really need 2 of them to completely tune the bike correctly!

Also the 5 is so much more suited for the gen2 anyways!

+1000 No need for a 3rd party device that can later fail.

There is if there is not a reputable tuner that can tune it. It goes the same for the pc 3 or 5. It will only run as good as the tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Power Commander V has the advantage of carrying a narrow band O2 sensor to compensate in real time for fuel mixtures that deviate from the optimal setting you choose. That is all.

Now the important thing is...

Power Commander can only tune 1 set of injectors, not both, so you can adjust fuel settings for the lower eight injectors but not for the upper eight, which are used on high RPM.

That means you can tune the bike properly for low RPM but you will have to add so much fuel to the lower injectors on high RPM to compensate for the lack of the ability to tune the upper injectors that you will end up with maps that can have up to 40% more fuel on the lower injectors to barely tune high RPM fuel curve.

Bazzaz and Rapid Bike, on the other hand, are able to control both set of injectors and tune our bikes properly for all the revs, up and down. Bazzaz has the advantage of letting you adjust ignition timing and add traction control, whereas Rapid Bike will let you control ignition timing better, but no traction control.

What those devices do is intercept the ECU commands to the Fuel Injection system and change those commands to compensate for the ECU stock non-optimized fuel map. Now the question is: Why use these devices, when the ECU code for our bikes is cracked, you can download free software to change it and you can make yourself or buy the cable to tap into it?

With all of that said, going directly into the ECU is the way to go. The problem here is not all bikes have their ECU code cracked and with free software and cheap hardware available (cable) to tap into it, that is why you still still hear people commenting on using Power Commander III USB or V and the other mentioned devices to tune fuel and ignition.

A lot of people still make money on selling those devices, and you can still get away with a finely tuned bike using them. What a lot of people miss is that going directly into ECU not only lets you change fuel on all injectors and time ignition however you want, but you will also have access to ALL of the bike parameters and change them however you want. Petrik, a member of this board, constantly adds functionality to the ECU editing software and is constantly doing research on the ECU parameters to allow ECU edit users optimize the bike.

Currently, when you tap into the ECU directly you can increase rev limiter thresholds, remove error codes from sensors you eliminate such as when you get rid of the PAIR system including its hardware, along with a lot of other settings that you can become an expert when you can dyno your bike and test changes.

I honestly see no use for PC or any other hardware for the Busa to control fuel and ignition, only for traction control (Bazzaz).

Last edited:
I thought the only PC you can use on a gen 2 is the 3?

I just bought a PC3 have not recieved it yet but should I return it.
As for ECU editing what if you are not really tech savvy would the PC still be the way to go?

Steven

I thought the only PC you can use on a gen 2 is the 3?

I just bought a PC3 have not recieved it yet but should I return it.
As for ECU editing what if you are not really tech savvy would the PC still be the way to go?

Steven

No need to be tech savvy - there is nothing rocket science about it, but if you are not willing to tap into a wire here and there and then plug into the laptop and install the software, you can take it to a dyno shop - I am assuming you would have to take the PC to the dyno shop for installation as well.

Besides, Smith, who sells the cable kits, supports installation over the phone if you really need, he takes calls on the evenings.

Suzuki North America misses a golden boat, with all the mods that Busa owners treasure.

Harley sells Super Tuner software and interfaces that makes all this very easy on their EFI bikes. From a 15 minute monitoring of actual riding conditions, to using this data with software, to automatically propose new map changes. Or to download latest maps for mods at the dealer, and more. They make lots of money doing this.

Wonder if the metric bike makers will ever get onto this boat and tap the revenue that comes from selling accessories?

Suzuki North America misses a golden boat, with all the mods that Busa owners treasure.

Harley sells Super Tuner software and interfaces that makes all this very easy on their EFI bikes. From a 15 minute monitoring of actual riding conditions, to using this data with software, to automatically propose new map changes. Or to download latest maps for mods at the dealer, and more. They make lots of money doing this.

Wonder if the metric bike makers will ever get onto this boat and tap the revenue that comes from selling accessories?

It is more worthwhile to keep all bikes under safe fuel conditions for the engine and then call any damage done to the bikes out of warrant then to allow people to use manufacturer issued software, damage the bike and then call warranty.

There is not really any money to be made there for the manufacturers - they would rather charge royalties from companies that want their ECU code to build devices to work with it than do it themselves and get nothing on it.

Don´t expect anything from the manufacturers, except something like a Racing division that sells accessories like Honda has HRC.

I use a PC5 on my K8, no problems. I use auto-tune and secondary fuel module also. I purchased these before I bought the ecu editor.
Is this better, probably not, but I can switch maps with the PC LED module and monitor my A/F and other critical readouts at a glance.
Any dyno's doing ECU tuning?

the Supertuner is a POS period the Race tuner was better.
the supertuner is a little better than a PC3EX

Power Commander V has the advantage of carrying a narrow band O2 sensor to compensate in real time for fuel mixtures that deviate from the optimal setting you choose. That is all.

Now the important thing is...

Power Commander can only tune 1 set of injectors, not both, so you can adjust fuel settings for the lower eight injectors but not for the upper eight, which are used on high RPM.

That means you can tune the bike properly for low RPM but you will have to add so much fuel to the lower injectors on high RPM to compensate for the lack of the ability to tune the upper injectors that you will end up with maps that can have up to 40% more fuel on the lower injectors to barely tune high RPM fuel curve.

This is not exactly true. There is no reason to adjust the second injectors unless you have extreme fuel needs (cams, turbo, or something) so there is no real need to control them. That's why Dynojet designed the PC5 to only control the primary injectors. If you need to control the secondaries, Dynojet sells a secondary injector controller that plugs into the PCV. The PC5 also works with the AutoTune, which does work despite some people not trusting it. One thing I don't like about the PC5 is that it doesn't allow you to use the quick shifter without the secondary injector module, making that setup cost well over $1K!

The Traction control you get with the Bazzaz is very unsophisticated (or at least last time I checked it was). That's not to say there is anything wrong with the Bazzaz unit, just the $1000 TC option is hardly money well spent IMHO.

ECU editing is very neat but requires a lot of know-how to really take advantage of. With Power comes responsibility, and if you don't know what you're doing I still feel it's best left alone.

Back