PC5 with auto tune

06+5 bussa

Registered
I have a PC5 with Brocks full titainum dual exhaust and BMC filter with a brocks map installed. Do you think i would get any benefit from adding the auto tune add on to the PC5? When talking with one of the staff guys at Brocks they said thier tune is so spot on that i wouldn't need it. Just woundering because there is so many variables to take into account like, elevation and so forth.Just looking at some input, Thanks in advance

I have a PC5 with Brocks full titainum dual exhaust and BMC filter with a brocks map installed. Do you think i would get any benefit from adding the auto tune add on to the PC5? When talking with one of the staff guys at Brocks they said thier tune is so spot on that i wouldn't need it. Just woundering because there is so many variables to take into account like, elevation and so forth.Just looking at some input, Thanks in advance

I was told the elevation is that brocks does the tuning is like 4,000 feet or something like that. A custom tune is always your best bet

I was told the elevation is that brocks does the tuning is like 4,000 feet or something like that. A custom tune is always your best bet
So do you know how the auto tune works? It was explained to me you didn't need a dyno tune if you had this because it was always tuneing corrections while your riding, air temps, elevation, and so forth. I don't know for sure thats just what i was told lol.

A custom tune on a dyno is still the best way to get the max HP out of your bike but the autotune is nice for setting up a second map for normal riding. Just set up the AFR you want at any given rpm and it will trim it out for you. You can setup your normal riding map for better MPG if you want and then just flick the switch when you want the max HP map. Gives you the best of both worlds.

A custom tune on a dyno is still the best way to get the max HP out of your bike but the autotune is nice for setting up a second map for normal riding. Just set up the AFR you want at any given rpm and it will trim it out for you. You can setup your normal riding map for better MPG if you want and then just flick the switch when you want the max HP map. Gives you the best of both worlds.

Thanks for the info, thats interesting to know. I wounder how many people have tried an auto tune add onto a PC5? I'd like to here about some comparson between not having it and then after having it. Everybody is stuck on the "Just get a cutom tune" I know a custom tune works because i had one on my 06 from lee's performace, Just looking at some diffrent opptions is all. Thanks again guys.

Thanks for the info, thats interesting to know. I wounder how many people have tried an auto tune add onto a PC5? I'd like to here about some comparson between not having it and then after having it. Everybody is stuck on the "Just get a cutom tune" I know a custom tune works because i had one on my 06 from lee's performace, Just looking at some diffrent opptions is all. Thanks again guys.

PM OutlawBusa, I think he has experience with autotune.

I have the auto tune and I disconnected it. I think a custom map is better.The auto tune takes forever to give trim recommendations and then they need adjustments.

From what I have seen... the auto tune kinda sucks. I tried to help a friend with his Bazzaz ( should be about the same ) Zafm unit. We had to try to do some runs on the streets so it would log some suggestions and then would have to plug up the laptop to check and submit them. After the 3rd time it was getting frustrating...it would always suggest something. The bike seemed to run ok but you don't know when it was close enough. Sometimes it would have a bunch of cells to change then other times it would less. If we left it alone with the less cells and looked at it a few days later it went back to a bunch of cells to change. He gave up on it and had it tuned.... good luck if you go this route.

The Autotune does not create a "map" on the fly. It collects data through a wideband O2 sensor. It gives you suggested fuel trims to make to your map. In short, if will tell you the A/F ratio at certain throttle positions and engine loads and you have to make corrections to the map based on that data.

I personally have the PC5 and the Autotune. I have used it quite a bit and played with various factors. People are right, it doesn't tune on the fly (which would be awesome), but I do believe it does well. You have to be patient with it and let it make changes as it wants. It can only make small changes at a time, but it definitely does help. My buddy has a 2008 ZX14 and also has the PC5 and Autotune. We have both tried custom maps from tuners on the internet and they are ok, but if you let autotune make changes, you can feel it get better and better. We live in Colorado and my home altitude is 5683 according to my Navigation in my Jeep. I keep hearing various thoughts and opinions and they all vary, but I do like it. My buddy and the 14 race side by side all the time. We test a different map and settings and you can see changes in the hit of the throttle or WOT and at certain parts of the RPM range. We have also found that since we are at high altitude, we can actually have more power with mid grade versus premium. It's amazing how all the variables make a difference. We know a guy that races a ZX-14 on the track and he runs 85 octane with a PCIII. I think each person needs to do what they prefer. But just for fun, I am going to take the Pepsi challenge. I am going to take my bike in for baseline dyno runs as I tune it. And then we are both having them professionally tuned here in town. At that point, I will post the graphs and results.

Kevin

I have been doing testing lately on the PC5 with wideband / autotune. My bike also has the LCD display with data logging. The bike is also a MAP sensor that is feeding the MAP reading back to the PC5. My fuel maps are both MAP based and TPS based depending on what part of the map I am tuning. Most of the cruise section of the map is MAP based corrections. The WOT stuff is generally corrected on the TPS map.

Now to answer the question, the auto tune works as advertised. The reason that you guys are having less that great results is that the AFR targets really need to be MAP based. Once you jump to this new way of looking at tuning, everything else will seem obsolete. I run closed loop now all the time with the target AFR at 14 AFR from about 0 KPA to about 80 KPA and from about 3000 RPM and 5200 RPM. Most everywhere else I shoot for 13 or so AFR. It is really working well at this point.

I use MegaLogViewer HD software to view the data logs off the LCD-200

ClosedLoopLogic3.jpg

I will be tuning a Busa turbo soon that FuelMoto sent my way. Jamie at fuel FuelMoto thought I would have fun tuning it. :)

Feel free to ask any questions.

Have fun tuning

Andy AKA Beast

i hade great stuff say about my mine..i think the guys having probelms with the pcv abd auto tune is there not setting there targets..what i really like is its a true closed system so as your riding it will run of the change up to+20%/ -20%

I have a PC3 and a data logger which is pretty much the same thing. You can fine tune much more precisely than a dyno tune by collecting real world data over time. It isn't a magic box. I started with a custom dyno tune as my base map.

Now to answer the question, the auto tune works as advertised. The reason that you guys are having less that great results is that the AFR targets really need to be MAP based. Once you jump to this new way of looking at tuning, everything else will seem obsolete. I run closed loop now all the time with the target AFR at 14 AFR from about 0 KPA to about 80 KPA and from about 3000 RPM and 5200 RPM. Most everywhere else I shoot for 13 or so AFR. It is really working well at this point.

Andy AKA Beast

I've done similar mapping. Highway cruising is a very narrow rpm and throttle position range. I have the map in that range tuned to 14.7:1 then transition to 13.2:1 for the rest of the map. I get 45-50mpg on the highway without sacrificing performance when I open the throttle.

I've done similar mapping. Highway cruising is a very narrow rpm and throttle position range. I have the map in that range tuned to 14.7:1 then transition to 13.2:1 for the rest of the map. I get 45-50mpg on the highway without sacrificing performance when I open the throttle.

Are you running a PCV? Where in St Louis are you located?

Beast

Back