Helmet Law MI

I think women should ride naked.

Is that wrong?
Yes if you do not add a weight stipulation.
wow.gif

Living here in Ohio where there is no helemt law, there's a very small fraction of riders, from young to old, sport bike to cruiser that actually wear helmets.  Sit back and watch a poker run some time, several hundred bikes of all types will go by, maybe 5% with helmets.  I'm not BS'ing with you guys here, but helmets just aren't worn in this state. Maybe's it's been the lead by example thing, that guys not wearing one, so I'm not either,  and so the stigma passes on and on.  

Now on that note( let the bashing begin )  I own 3 helmets and only wear them when its cold.  I've rode with the helmet and without and just prefer the ride without, personal choice, no posing, no squid, no bs, no nonsense.  I understand 150% the value and the safety a helmet has to offer to the statistics of coming through an accident.  That also being said, I pick and choose my rides to whether or not I'm wearing a helmet or not.  If I'm just going out cruising for the day, the helmets in the bag at home. If i'm heading out for some high speed runs and ripping up a corner or 2, the helmets on my head...............I do believe to each his own....................and one shouldn't be called names or condemned for those decisions that one makes.

Now to contradict everything I just said...................I wish Ohio had a helmet law so I didn't have that choice..........................You figure me out......???

Let em ride without a helmet...

Natural Selection will take effect.

Just my .02...

I have ridden on the street without a helmet in the past and I still think it should be a personal choice but after my last wreck I will never go without one again. I would have screwed without it.

helmet1.JPG

side three actully the scratches on the visor go all the way across.

<!--EDIT|jwcfbd
Reason for Edit: None given...|1111470201 -->

helmet3.JPG

The 80 yr. old that still has a drivers license doesn't care if your out for a lazy ride. Not ripping on you, just telling you most accidents occur within 20 miles of home. Look out and stay safe.

When I went down at 60 mph, the first thing to hit the ground was my left shoulder, directly followed by my face... Ripped the visor right off my helmet. I was wearing leathers also. Totaled the Busa, I got up and walked away.

Ripped my leathers, scratched this crap outta my helmet. I had a small bruise on my left knee, I was very fortunate.

Had I not been wearing gear... No telling how bad it wouldve been...

Riding without gear is just pure stupidity in my opinion.

Let everyone who wants ride without a helmet. It's natures way of cleaning up the gene pool.

I have a helmet hanging in the garage as a reminder. If I had no helmet on that fateful day not far from my home, I'd certainly be dead. I really don't like "Dead"!

Lots of good opinions and insight on this one. I used to ride often without a helmet when I was a young and invincible college student in Utah. Luckily, I was never featured on a Darwin Awards e-mail. Somewhere along the journey of life I wised up, (wife & kids?) and I haven't ridden without one for many many years. First it was always wearing the helmet, then it expanded to fingerless gloves and good boots, then Joe Rocket came on the scene... Now I've evolved somwhere in-between tanktop and no lid to MotoGP racer in full leathers. Hell, I even picked up a pair of Draggin Jeans a few weeks ago in Daytona.

On the legality side I'm torn however. As a gun-toting conservative, I've always had a problem with too much federal or state intervantion in my life. Are helmet laws a good idea? Yes. Do they always sit well with me? No. On one hand I think an insured adult over 21 riding solo has the right to crack open his noggin if he wants to. On the other hand, motorcycle fatalities affect all of us with the negative stereotype among the masses of being so dangerous, murdercycles, organ donors, etc. can be detrimental to all of us. I wish there was an easy answer that would appease all viewpoints and opinions, including my own, but there's not.

Bottom line... There are two type of motorcycle riders: Those who have been in a accident, and those who are going to be in an accident. Will you be prepared when your turn comes?

rant.gif

Ok WB, its official...

Your brain can't be as small as your avatar.

Well put bro!

Do we have any MI riders that can answer my question? thanks for all the feedback
If you mean where does it go from here, as I understood it from the article, the Senate panel that it passed sends it to the State House who must vote on it. It still has a long way to go before it becomes law.
cool.gif

On the legality side I'm torn however.  As a gun-toting conservative, I've always had a problem with too much federal or state intervantion in my life.  Are helmet laws a good idea?  Yes.  Do they always sit well with me? No.  On one hand I think an insured adult over 21 riding solo has the right to crack open his noggin if he wants to.  On the other hand, motorcycle fatalities affect all of us with the negative stereotype among the masses of being so dangerous, murdercycles, organ donors, etc. can be detrimental to all of us.  I wish there was an easy answer that would appease all viewpoints and opinions, including my own, but there's not.

Bottom line...  There are two type of motorcycle riders:  Those who have been in a accident, and those who are going to be in an accident.  Will you be prepared when your turn comes?

rant.gif
I am totally with you on government being restricted so that citizens can stay free.  The more control we give government the less we have over our own lives.  Suddenly what we eat, what we wear, the music we listen to and the movies we watch all have to be approved  by Big Brother.

So, no the law shouldn't be there - any more than mandatory seatbelts should be the law.

On the other hand, I use my seatbelt and I wear my helmet, not because it is or isn't the law, but because it is in my rational best interests and I am still (despite efforts in Washington) able to make those decisions for myself.  

I can't wait till they require mandatory helmets for pedestrians and have a 1 to 1 ratio of cops to citizens to make sure we don't break any one of the thousands of useless and invasive laws that come out each year.

We are slowly legislating our way right back into serfdom. I think when I hit 65 I am just going to ride helmetless because I am pretty much convinced there will be nothing left of 'liberty and justice for all'

Sorry for the hijacking...this is always a heavily debated topic!
smile.gif

In a thread I believe Thinker started a long time ago, I stated that I think it should be a mandatory law and cited all of my reasons for such...

I've changed my mind, but still wear a helmet each and every time I ride (well, I have to in VA).  I've got a Harley friend (I invited him to join in here) that said I can go helmetless in PA now (when he gets home, we're going for a ride up that way)  I told him it won't be happening...I will always ride with a helmet...we exchanged some perspective...

However, I don't think gov't should dictate whether or not we should all do the same...let each man/woman decide for his/herself...I'm one that hopes most choose to wear 'em, but I'm married to a guy that has made it clear he hates wearing helmets, as do many of my friends...

It's tough legislation...

<!--EDIT|VaBusa
Reason for Edit: "just 'cause"|1111514792 -->

Do we have any MI riders that can answer my question? thanks for all the feedback
The politicians are just responding from the growing baby boomer abate crowd who just decided to go out & get some Harleys & join the me too look at me ma I got a harley now folks that has just joined a stupid mob mentailty that helmets are for sissys & girl riders & them young punk bastards on them jap bikes making us REAL bikers look bad. It's really the arguments for repeal that makes all riders look bad in Michigan. They just can't be honest with the facts so they gotta make things up. But deep down in thier minds they know they are taking chances with thier lives, but the peer pressure just won't ever let them admit it. What the heck, this is America, one should have the right to splatter thier brains on the pavement or on a bumber of a cagger on a forty mph cruise if they want too.  I just hope my insurance rates don't go up too high.

<!--EDIT|AZTECWARRIOR
Reason for Edit: None given...|1111519013 -->

Let me add one more vote to the anti-helmet law side. Laws should be there to protect you from me, not to protect me from me.

That said, you won't catch me riding without one.

I say do away with government mandates. Insurance companies should cancel policies if you are ticketed without a helmet, that will help my rates out some. And if you don't choose to wear a helmet please contact me for 2 reasons.... 1. I am genuinely concerned for your soul and can point you in the right direction. 2. I'd like to get on the list for salvageable parts, no organs at this time just good usable Busa parts.
My father-in-law is a Hardley rider, Deputy sheriff who refuses to wear a helmet. So one day we get into a debate about it, so I ask him to stand 1 foot away from the wall and close his eyes. Then place both hands on his shoulders and shove them against the wall as hard as I can. His head slams the wall busts a hole in the drywall, suffers a minor concussion according to the doctor the next day. I gave him $50 bucks to cover the Doc visit and the patch in the wall and told him better than spending $50 on cheap flowers at his funeral. The next time I see him without a helmet I'll shove him into another inanimate object as hard as I can until that hard skull is softened. How does he expect to control his head slammin the pavement at 20 mph when he cant stop a shove from rattling his brain.

The law doesn't say I can't eat hot coals from a burning fire but for some weird reason I don't sound like it's a good idea.

Back