Helmet Law! - How would you vote?

• I would vote for a national helmet law

Votes: 303 100.0%
  • I would vote against a national helmet law

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it should be law that we need to wear helmets, just like there is a law that we need to wear seat belts...I live in PA and last year they just chenged the laws, so you can ride around without one now....Just seems crazy to me....but its there choice....I just think it is more of an insurance cost increase than anything, the insurance companies will be hit the hardest once a few accidents that could have been prevented pop up....and that in turn may cause an increase in premiums...Doo what you want, but there will ALWAYS be a helmet on my head....

I would vote for a national helmet law, i'am tired of paying hospital bills for the irresponcible idiots with no insurance, those are the ones who ride without helmets usually. mad.gif

Sorry Gang, I got kids and want to make sure they live long enough to see their grandkids. I would vote for a helmet law....

Shoot, I even make my dog wear a helmet when he rides with me.

<!--EDIT|RedNeckBusaBoy
Reason for Edit: "cant spell for nuttin"|1115991815 -->

I just wouldnt vote. If people wanna be dumb and not wear it thats their choice. I dont think the government should interfere, same with the seatbelt law. poke.gif

I would vote against it... IF ..those that get hurt in accidents while not wearing them were not allowed access to public money for their health care.

Along with the freedom to decide comes the responsibility to take care of the consequences.

Personal responsibility... it's a dying concept, unfortunatley.

This type of debate is not simply a matter of exercising rights or imposing will on others.  Every dollar that gets paid out by insurance companies to the families in death benefits or to care for a vegetative loved one, is not just written off by the insurance companies, it is paid by the poor bastids left in the underwriting pool.

Even though I was in law enforcement, I am not in favor of BIG government at all. Still, I have to say that after going to several bike fatalities,  most involving riders without helmets, I am in favor of a helmet law.  Ironically, the last bike-fatal that I went to, the rider was being chased by another Deputy.  After about twenty minutes into the chase, the rider took off his helmet and threw it at the patrol car and flipped off the Deputy.  The bike then left the roadway a short distance later and the rider died of massive head injuries at the scene.  I realize that does not have a lot of merit in this debate, but interesting still the same, especially since it was a stolen bike.

Actually, if there were some way to separate the people who want to ride without a helmet from the main insurance pool.  And as long as those who chose to exercise their &quot;constitutional right&quot;  (That one always makes me laugh), would sign a form stating that they would be solely responsible for their own actions ie; not suck from the public trough when they can't pay the resultant huge medical bills, then why not let nature take it’s course.  The natural selection process, thinning of the herd..

<!--EDIT|HeliBusa
Reason for Edit: "Bad Speelun"|1116016144 -->

Well said HeliBusa, take a look at the latest survey's death on MC are on the rise again, most are because of the increase in Harley riders who do not wear helmets.
Even if your not at fault and someone kill you in a car it impacts there life for ever too. A death impacts more people than just you, the fire department who responds the police officer who has to pick up your pieces, or that first person who just happens be there and tries to keep you alive.
I was that first person on a motorcycle accident in 1981, yes 24 years ago and let me tell you I can remember it like it was yesterday, the guys face, blood and everything else.
Impacts are much wider span than just the one person’s rights, I did not have any choice when the bike hit the telephone pole that night other than trying to keep Ricky alive.

I think it should be the riders choice so i voted would not support the law but then again I think seatbelt in a car should be your choice. funny thing about it tho my daughter doesnt go anywere in the truck with out a seatbelt and has a helmet for her bike she doesnt have a choice

Saved my life before too, but I would vote against the law. Just as I would against seatbelt laws. It's about choice and not being told what to do.

It's like seat belts to me, should be the individuals choice. I know what I'd do, but people shouldn't be told they have to do something.

I'd like to see some research done to see statistics as to the history of the helmet and how effective it has been though. I've seen helmets from post-going down and had the rider (who walked away), not been wearing one, he would look like Freddy Kreuger LOL.

I would vote for it, but the damn insurance companies better drop some rates....

Being military I dont get the freedom to make that choice, ironic isn't it...

I did learn from a few unfotunate events that helmets are worth it.

<!--EDIT|RamminBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1124541019 -->

I would vote against it for anyone over 18, but below that, I think it would be a good idea. Then again, a law would be kind of funny to watch all the hardley guys and squids throw a fit !!!

My question is not whether you wear a helmet. Nor is it whether you would wear it if there wasn't a law in your state.  

My question is how would you vote on a national helmet law? Assume that if it failed, all state helmet laws would be wiped out, and if it passed, all states would abide by the helmet law.

Please, no lectures. We have all heard it all many times. This is more a question on opinions regarding personal choice and freedoms. How would YOU vote?
I'M FOR IT. WHY RISK A BRAIN INJURY.

My question is not whether you wear a helmet. Nor is it whether you would wear it if there wasn't a law in your state.  

My question is how would you vote on a national helmet law? Assume that if it failed, all state helmet laws would be wiped out, and if it passed, all states would abide by the helmet law.

Please, no lectures. We have all heard it all many times. This is more a question on opinions regarding personal choice and freedoms. How would YOU vote?
I'M FOR IT.  WHY RISK A BRAIN INJURY.
The question here is not wether helmets should be worn...it is wether our government should tell us we MUST wear one.

I would never vote for a helmet law. But I would nearly always wear one.

The government has no right to attempt to protect us from ourselves.

What would be next? Guns? They are dangerous too!

This is supposed to be a free country. Lets help keep it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back