2UP laws...

ajblbv

Donating Member
Registered
Sooo, while arguing with a friend, when he asked why everyone who i ride 2up with i want in gear, i told him commonsense and the law, and the he argued there was no law saying it, not even a helmet. PA has a helmet law but getting past it is rather easy, just pass aclass MSF or a few other things.

Does anyone know what PA laws or any state laws regulate what equipment the passenger has to have? Not what they should, but what they must?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure in Ca you have to have a helmet if you are on a bike PERIOD, driver or passenger. But now that you mention it, I don't know exactly how the law is worded.

Either way, I would make my passenger gear up too. One a friend of mine came down to visit and wanted to ride, I made her wear my winter gear and I wore my summer suit. It was spring so it worked out find for both of us and she had a great time.:thumbsup:

I just assumed the law made them be as safe as the pimary rider has to be, which in PA is pretty much just sunglasses if you passed the course

However, don't think for a second I ride without gear, especially on my busa, **** could go wrong too fast for me to have a chance so I need all the help I cna get

Sooo, while arguing with a friend, when he asked why everyone who i ride 2up with i want in gear, i told him commonsense and the law, and the he argued there was no law saying it, not even a helmet. PA has a helmet law but getting past it is rather easy, just pass aclass MSF or a few other things.

Does anyone know what PA laws or any state laws regulate what equipment the passenger has to have? Not what they should, but what they must?

Thanks

Dude! you can google Pa State motorcycle laws and it will tell you everything dealing with Pa motorcycle laws. Hope this helps

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure in Ca you have to have a helmet if you are on a bike PERIOD, driver or passenger. But now that you mention it, I don't know exactly how the law is worded.

Either way, I would make my passenger gear up too. One a friend of mine came down to visit and wanted to ride, I made her wear my winter gear and I wore my summer suit. It was spring so it worked out find for both of us and she had a great time.:thumbsup:

Amen J! :beerchug: :thumbsup:

Your ride... Your law... You want people to be better geared then state law and they want a ride,then they have to obey or enjoy from a distance.

In Delaware you only have to have a helmet for each person on the bike. It doesn't matter if they're hanging off the side of the bike, or on your head.

What i cant believe is in California there is "NO AGE LIMIT FOR PASSENGERS" :banghead: I cant tell you how many times i've seen "LITTLE"(and i do mean little...like not even old enough to ride a bicycle)kids on the back of motorcycles :withstupid: What in the HELL are these parents thinking, makes me want to pull them over and B!TCH SLAP there dad's. :cookoo:

when my girl was 2yo, I'd let her ride on the tank of my CBR, by the time she was 4 I'd take her to pre-k. she rode with me on it on good weather days through second grade, then we had to start taking the car since my boy started school. she was about 7 before I took her on the highway though.

When I was in college my Mom wanted a ride on my bike, but wouldn't put the helmet on... I told her nothin doin... She got to watch me ride cause she didn't want her hair messed up.

when my girl was 2yo, I'd let her ride on the tank of my CBR, by the time she was 4 I'd take her to pre-k. she rode with me on it on good weather days through second grade, then we had to start taking the car since my boy started school. she was about 7 before I took her on the highway though.

2yrs old bro.......COME ON MAN, and you put that trust in a 2yr old for something not to catch her eye like a puppy, her not getting distracted, and then forgetting to HOLD ON? :banghead: Not to mention those things they call accidents, you know(or maybe not)things you CANT control, like a car SLAMMING into you ??? I guess maybe its just me being paranoid, but i have a 3 & 5 year old and i just dont think i could EVER come home with my child in my arms, and have to explain to wife why HER DAUGHTER IS DEAD! Just my .02 though!

Last edited:
I know accidents can/will happen, but I felt confident at the time. was just up & down the block...plenty of visibility...by the time she was 3, we got a buddy-belt so she could ride on back and had a youth xs helmet(was getting too big to ride in front safely) (I know the whole ordeal wasn't truely "safe", just in perspective) everyone is different.:beerchug:

Back