Helmet Law MI

rock.gif

Kind of hope you just keep wearing it...but, to each his own...

Never have smarter words been written
wink.gif
---> "Motorcyclists say they deserve a right to choose whether to wear helmets, arguing that helmets don't prevent accidents."

Hrmmm, never thought that they did prevent accidents, but what do I know?
blush.gif

I will wear mine on the HWY but not riding around town. I wear one of theose peanut helmets around town now, I bought the DOT sticker for the back so it looks pretty good for not being a legal helmet

Does anyone know what the next step wil be?
I do a lot of scrambled eggs on the pavement which should result in a rise in insurance rates and increase in funeral home buisness...hey man buy some stock in a funeral home round your way but hey you may not get to spend it if you dont ride with your lid on...im mean where do most accidents happen on the interstate...no around town where you can get cut off in traffic

In Missouri, it was passed a couple of times by the legislature only to be vetoed by the governor. One year it was vetoed on the day before it was to become law. The language in the bill was to require everyone under the age of 21 to wear a helmet. We have a new governor now, fairly young (30 something), so maybe it will pass this year.

In South Dakota, you must wear a helmet if you are under 18. 99% of the cruiser riders around here don't wear one. I always do because I don't like that much wind in my face and I get to see 5-10 good reasons to wear one every year during the Sturgis Rally. Last year there were 3 deaths on the same corner, each at less than 30 mph, but none of them had a helmet on. I agree that the government shouldn't tell you to wear a helmet (or a seatbelt) but I do anyway as a personal choise. To each their own!!
biggrin.gif

doesn't matter to me in the least what the law says.. if you don't have enough respect for your life to even pop a decent helmet on.. well .. good luck to ya!

the only thing that bugs me about the whole mess will be the insurance hikes from it.

I can't believe that someone would not wear a helmet, I think that the federal government should withold funding for states that don't have a helmet law.
That being said, in Ohio you must wear a seatbelt in a car, but don't have to wear a helmet on a bike. How stupid is that?
The next thing is that a helmet law should require "real" helmets, not some "novelty" type that is worthless.
war.gif

IL doesn't require that you wear one, but I wear mine anyway. Just a peace of mind, plus it has become uncomfortable if I don't wear it, with all the wind, bugs, and other shid out there.

I would say the only safe time to not wear a hemlet, is when your not on your bike. I have lived in 3 states that do not require a helmet (Kansas, Florida and now Hawaii) I still wear min and the proper gear as well. Sure you may look cool without it, but is it worth it if you have an accident? You should know that while going down the road, you get alot of looks from drivers passing you, what if one looks to long and veers into you? It is really up to you though. Just think about it, if they passed a law allowing drinking and driving, would you do that too? I really all depends on the type of person you are and what is important to you. If you only care about yourself and don't care about your friends and family and what they will have to go through after you are gone, then don't wear one. Just remember, you dying effects more then just you.

Well it seem speople dont understand even at 15 mph when your head hits the ground its gonna crack open theres no road rash no bruses just you bones breaking and when you skull breaks you usually die i dont see whats so hard to understand about this. Like here in IL there is highway 94...great twisty high speed road but right in the middle there are 2 bars and there are always hardly guys out drinking and hoping back on with there harley helments (scarfs, handcerchiefs and anything else that makes them look though) and a lot of them die...i just dont get it
blush.gif

I think the stat that I saw here in Florida was that fatalities have risen some 74% since the repeal of the helmet law. I guess drivers have just gotten that much worse... FL guys don't quote me on the stats... I did hear it in a local news report.

For those that choose not to wear a helmet I hope it ends quickly for you so that your families won't have to make a tough decision for you.

I think that the federal government should withold funding for states that don't have a helmet law.
I think if the Fed Gov't has money that belongs to the states, they should give it back and stop using our own money to blackmail us.

And on the topic of the helmet, I've heard of people falling over because they had a shoe string get caught on a peg and hit their head on the ground when they fell and now they're dead. I'll keep the helmet on, plus it keeps the bugs out of my teeth.

Kev

First I always wear a helmet. And anyone with common sense would also, its just not worth the risk.

That said, the gov. should have nothing to do with seatbelts or helmets. I don't want my tax money wasted by having politicans debate about it. They have more gov. important issues to debate. Let nature weed out the stupid. I'm tired of paying tax money to save the stupid.

I live in MI and the Senate just voted to do away with the helmet law. Does anyone know what the next step wil be? I guess my question is will I have to wear my helmet this summer. anyone from MI know the answer to this?
http://www.detnews.com/2005/politics/0503/17/01-120552.htm

Automon
Only wear your helmet if the contents of your skull are worth keeping.  

Let me put it this way:  

Let me walk up to you with a baseball bat and smash you in the head with it  OR, zip tie your hands behind your back and fall face first onto concrete.  Both of those impacts PALE in comparison to lowsiding your bike at 40mph or laying it down from an emergency stop.

If either of those scenarios above seem ok to you, then sure, no helmet required.  If that IS the case I would suggest that any damage a helmet might prevent has already happened.

Helmets shouldn't be mandatory any more than condoms should be (then again, that might not be a bad idea . . no, well, no, not a good idea . . )  But if your life means as much to you as looking cool does then a helmet is a pretty spiffy idea.

I don't get all these riders wanting to ditch the lid, to me it does not look cool. It makes you look like a moron with no sense. I can kinda see cruising Daytona or Myrtle without a lid cause it's mostly stopped traffic, but for knee dragging highspeed mountain carving, or mostly any riding for that matter at or above 15mph,why would you NOT want a lid? You'd figure all the chopper dudes would of woke up after Indian Larry's death that could of been prevented with a helmet, nope, they're dumb as ever.
      It also does not help with the Discovery channel advocating no helmets with the biker build off's with the builder's riding 500miles with no lid.
Ever try to instill the importance of a helmet to a early teenager after he's watched every BBO and OCC show? It's next to impossible after Arlen Ness or Billy Lane are shown riding helmetless everywhere.
Maybe i just don't "Get it".

<!--EDIT|GMbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1111464288 -->

I will wear mine on the HWY but not riding around town. I wear one of theose peanut helmets around town now, I bought the DOT sticker for the back so it looks pretty good for not being a legal helmet
Like VA said, each to their own, However looks can kill.

I just went through all of this with my nephew, he is lucky to be alive. We have all ( I am sure) been on a bike with out a helmet 1 time or another. Just think of yourself.

Back