Caps thoughts on the 08 Bash

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
My thoughts on the 2008 Busa Bash
   Wow what a trip"¦. 15 hours to get there to spend 3 days and then 15 hours back. How can you accurately describe the experience to people in a way that they can understand why you would travel that far for such a short time. I tried and I miserably failed today at work. The discussion did however give me something to think about and I know that we have all experienced it, we have all mentioned it and we all already miss it.

For those that doubted me, the Zook guys were there and we had a great time"¦ Steve, Aki we all thank you for coming out and participating with the group. You presence was a reminder that we do have a voice and I think that maybe we opened your eyes to a few things too. You both seemed to be so open and honest about things that you fit right in.  (By the way Steve there is a little scratch on the Busa I found after you rode it. Send me a Bking and we can call it even"¦) Thank you both for attending, let us know what you need and we will make it happen.

Friendship"¦"¦  I can honestly sit here and type this message and know that if I called any one single person out of a thousand from this board that I would get a supportive response if I had a need.  We have all seen the kindness of the members here at the bash, from folks donating spare parts to a downed member, someone just wiping off your bike, someone getting you a drink or even just talking to someone that was new. I witnessed this very thing in the past 7 days, the members here never cease to amaze me with the random acts of kindness. I thank each of you for your willingness to do the right thing.

I am reluctant to even post up thanks because I know that I will miss someone, there was just so many great things that happened because of the members"¦. If it weren't for a few members about 6 years ago getting together to share a ride then this event would never have grown to what it has become. Thank you Zukracer  (Brian) and Warbaby (Tom) for starting it all.

1. The Food"¦"¦ Oh my ! From the time that we got there on Wed Grumpy and MrsGrumpy were feeding folks burgers, dogs, sausage, vanilla and orange chicken along with the best pasta ever. Thur night, Friday night and Sat night Mr. Bogus, GixerHP were all cooking on some monster grills and the menus included brisket, chicken wings, nachos, steak, kabobs, burgers, dogs, beef tips, teriyaki chicken and more.  Hooken203 brought in sausage burgers and man was that a great tradition to have"¦.. To you all that prepared, cooked and cleaned up I can't tell you how much that helped. People didn't have to leave to get food, we all were able to sit around and eat as a group, visiting with people that we would have never talked to before.

2. The Kindness"¦"¦.. I saw people picking up trash, cleaning others bikes, unloading, starting fires, picking up trash you name it. What a great thing to witness, it brought back some hope for human nature in this crazily rude world that we live in.

3. The Fun"¦"¦"¦. Good natured laugh out loud (on the ground for some) hold your stomach fun. No one was offended and no one became upset. We all seem to be able to laugh at ourselves and our faults and know deep inside that those folks that are poking fun at you would be the first ones to defend you if you needed it.  There are a lot of good natured funny folks on this board. Thank you all for the laugh.

4. Admins and Mods"¦.. You guys never cease to amaze me. Your openness and true concern for the members just validates the reason that you were each asked to help with the site. You took on tasks to help the members and anytime I asked you to help you jumped in to make it happen. You guys are the rock of the board and I value your opinions and ideas.

5. Thank you all for allowing Kristie and I to attend and participate with the group. We continue to meet new folks and find it saddening that we can't see some of you but once a year. I met more great folks this year and I hope to keep those friendships alive. I do my best to not include myself into the events, this is your bash you all have created it you all own it I just come along to play"¦ Thank you for being open and letting us play. I am humbled by your genorisity and kindness to Kristie and myself and I thank you for the kind words and supportive attitudes. To tell you the truth I feel guilty at these events because I know that I am not worthy of the attention or kindness that you all continually show me. This site has become more than I ever could have imagined and when folks thank me and tell me what the site means to them I feel  the weight bearing down on me that we must find a way to keep things moving. Regardless of what you all think I am just a simple man. Not very smart, incredibly stubborn and I have no patience to speak of. There are probably 500 other folks on this site that could run it better and make it a better success. We will continue to work to make this place better but know that I make mistakes every day and I'm sure that I will make many more as we go"¦..

Where do we go from here?

It seems like this animal is beginning to take on its own form, as much as I hate to say it I think we need to organize. As I stated before we have stayed out of the event planning and always just let them members set everything up, I think that we are to the point where we need to at least do some basic planning. I thought the whole drive home about what we could do and still foster the open environment and I came to this conclusion. On the board I always tell people that I simply provide a convenient place for you to call home. I think that we need to do this for the Bash as well. I think that we need to facilitate the place and a few other necessities and let the members take care of the rest"¦"¦. As an example I think that we should implement the following.

1. Block off the street at the Phillips.
2. Have a schedule of events
3. Have a morning stand up and evening review of the day. Announcements would be made from a central spot.
4. A white board that we could post announcements for those that missed the stand up.
5. Maybe a camping area for those that want to pitch a tent.
6. Basic needs like water and maybe snacks could be provided throughout the day.

This is always open to you all as to the involvement that you want us to take, if you agree then I think we should start these discussions now.
You all need to let me know what you would like to see and we will start some planning. Let me close this out by thanking you all for who you are and what you do. It's the members that make this place what it is, we can make it bigger and better. I just keep thinking about all the great people that we haven't even met yet.

God Bless you all
CAp

soudns like alota fun man me an mrs shadi will be there next year look forward to meeting everyone. Maybe have 2 Really experienced riders per group one leading and one in the rear keeping an eye on some of the not as experienced riders.

Boy, I'm really sorry I missed this years bash, but with selling our house, the wife finding out she's pregnant-again, it was just to busy. I already have a room at the phillips for the fall bash and cant wait until september.
bowdown.gif

Thanks cap for the words of wisdom and reflection
beerchug.gif
We enjoyed your company and humor at the bash
bowdown.gif

6. Basic needs like water and maybe snacks could be provided throughout the day.

Or just follow a crazy man to a restuarant that is closed or a GPS to one that doesn't exist
smile.gif

I will do food again (I love to cook if nobody noticed)but we should try to organize who is bringing what and when a little better. I will take that resposibility also and I am sure Mr. B and his list making abilities will be there to support me... If we are going to collect ahead of time that should be done ahead also...

And when is it for 2009, April 23, 24, 25 I need to book work ASAP as this event falls on a school vacation week in MA?

It's only like 360 days away you know...
banghead.gif

The only thing I can think to add at this time that might be helpful is, It seemed to me alot of people were trying to get in touch with each other. maybe do a voluntary sheet, where people put their screen name, real name, and cell #. That way if your late for a ride, want to go out on your own for a while, and then meet up again latter you can find people.

That was a great experience for me personally. This was first time away from my job in four years. My other half has been telling me I need one, this was more then I expected. All I can say is thanks, and It made me relize I need to take time to stop and smell the roses once and a while.

The only thing I can think to add at this time that might be helpful is, It seemed to me alot of people were trying to get in touch with each other. maybe do a voluntary sheet, where people put their screen name, real name, and cell #. That way if your late for a ride, want to go out on your own for a while, and then meet up again latter you can find people.
Sound like another good use for a whiteboard!
thumb_up.gif

One of these days. One of these days.

biggrin.gif

--Wag--

We actually had a sheet compiled by Mr Bogus, but with the crappy cell phone reception in the area, it would have been difficult at best to reach folks. I lost touch with Busasweety and still have not heard from them.

Doug, the bash was amazing. The people there were outstanding. The most hateful people we came across were some of the locals, and I owe an ole boy in a Ford pickup something special!
firedevil.gif
Anyway, with that being said. With an event of this size, the logistics can be difficult, however, it seemed that things went smoothly. We brought all kinds of pop and water to share but ran out of ice. I do not know if you could really do anything to make it more organized. Grumpy, Bogus, and John handled the food in short order and I must say it was the best! The whiteboard may be a good idea, because we really didnt know what to do on a certain day. Our plans changed from the time we got there to when the rides took place, and the set times were flexible. Not being from the area, we needed to be with someone that knew where they were going, Thanks Don for confusing the crap out of me!
beerchug.gif

Bottom line, we had fun, made new friends, saw old friends, and would do it again in a heart beat, thank you thank you thank you!

Huge thanks to everyone for making this trip amazing!!! We learn a little more each year (and yet they still let me come back), so next year's spring bash will be even better, if that's at all possible
smile.gif

Thanks to Doug and Kristie for all of their hard work...they don't like hearing it, but if it weren't for them, this wouldn't have morphed in to what we now have. We're all better for being a part of this event and I wouldn't change it for the world.
bowdown.gif

So what do I need to bring for the fall bash
rock.gif
? You wanted to start it early lets get this party started now

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif