Q3 2008 update

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Its been a busy year so far, the busa bash the Eureka meet and greet and more events are being planned. We have had record membership registration and the forum is growing and growing and we are meeting great new folks from all over the country. This year has been very special to me since I was able to attend both of the big events so far. I have a goal to have a get together in Texas since we have a large presence there and to also try to get to one of the events on the West Coast.

We have been participating in meetings with several law enforcement agencies to help with a lot of the problems they are experiencing with young sportbike riders. We have a great opportunity to help the LEO with this program and it's and honor in my opinion to be a part of this. More to come in another post to tell how you can be included in these meetings and what you can contribute.

I have been having discussions with the admins and mods over the past several weeks and I have something to post up to you all for your input. Many of you know how much that I despise taking donantions to the site. In years past we had to accept donations to keep things rolling and growing, as we were able to build a corporate presence here with the sponsors we turned off the member donations. Our vision has always been to have the motorcycle industry keep the site financially afloat. Over the past couple of years we have accomplished financial stability with your help and the constant advertising dollars from the sponsors.

We have had so many new registrations and the use of the site has grown tremendously, we want to offer you more features and better response from the website but we are at a point where we need to make some system level changes. I'm sure you have all experienced the server busy error or the too many SQL database errors, This all means that we need to move servers again....... Here is my plan.....

We will be shutting the message board off for one week (Date to be announced)
When the board is turned off we will have the old server and the new server running in parallel and we have to pay for both

We will the following that will need to be purchased

Varying software packages
Some coding work
SSL Certificates

I run this business as fair as I know how so while we are offline I will be refunding the advertisers for 25% of the monthly fees they pay. Our cost are going to easily double and we will bringing in about 75% of our normal cash flow.

I have been beat up time and time again from folks wanting to donate to the site and I have refused, after long discussions with the admins I have decided to open donations up for one month (dates to be determined). When we open the donations we will of course have some token changes that we will make to show our appeciation for the help. There will not be any performance increases for those that donate, access to the site will remain the same for the brokest person out there as the guy that donates the most. Having a bigger avatar or a donating member is just a way to show folks that you have supported the site it will not allow any more access than anyone else. I have always believed that the site should be open to everyone equally that is why we do not have a paid membership or levels of access to the site based off what you give. If you can afford a couple of bucks we could sure use it, if you dont have it dont sweat it you will still be able to get to everything.

I wanted to throw this out there to you all before I actually started setting up donations or moving the site, you all are what makes up the site so I need you to tell me if you like this idea or if I need to go back to the drawing board.

Post your thoughts here please....

cap

eek2.gif

No .org for 1 whole week??

But here's to you Cap for making everything happen and giving us all a place to call "home."  
bowdown.gif

ThumbsUp.gif

clap.gif

thumb_up.gif

Without this site, I wouldn't have met some of the coolest, as well as best friends, that I ride with nowadays. When you can actually live hundreds, even thousands of miles away from one another, but hit it off like you've been friends for years there has to be something said about how special the org really is.

+1
Some of my closest friends now are guys I hang out with from the ORG. Seems like more and more lately I have been planning trips to Dallas, Austin, College station, etc to see org members to do anything from hit track days, to workin on bikes together, to just meeting up and ridin and grabbin a quick bite to eat.

Of course I will be bored SENSLESS with the boards being down a week, but no worries, just makin room for more good members to join up in the near future!
beerchug.gif

+1
Some of my closest friends now are guys I hang out with from the ORG.  Seems like more and more lately I have been planning trips to Dallas, Austin, College station, etc to see org members to do anything from hit track days, to workin on bikes together, to just meeting up and ridin and grabbin a quick bite to eat.

Of course I will be bored SENSLESS with the boards being down a week, but no worries, just makin room for more good members to join up in the near future!  
beerchug.gif
And I have a feeling I'll be meeting you, too, Chemist b/c of trackdays. With our SoCal brother, Charlesbusa, leaving soon to live in DFW, I definitely plan on visiting him and doing a TD out in Texas, so I'm sure our paths will cross eventualy.
thumb_up.gif
ThumbsUp.gif

An entire week! Did my wife pay you to do this? I guess I have to get some house work done now....
beerchug.gif

Let us know the dates for the donations and I'm in. This is the best cycle site on the internet.... bar none.

And although I'm not much of a post hog I read and enjoy the board, admins, and general friendship on display.

Cap you are without the best... Can't wait to give my fair share to keep this site the best.

Mark

Let us know the dates for the donations and I'm in. This is the best cycle site on the internet.... bar none.

And although I'm not much of a post hog I read and enjoy the board, admins, and general friendship on display.

Cap you are without the best... Can't wait to give my fair share to keep this site the best.

Mark
Add "a doubt" after "without".......dee dee deeeee

I LOVE the idea CAP !!! The only thing that stinks is, I could donate every penny I have, and still wouldn't touch what I get out of this place !!!

Man I PRAY it don't rain that week, I WILL BE LOST !!!!

How about running a few raffle's to gain some income?

I would be more than glad to donate a few things for a raffle or two!

Donations will not result in increased performance? WTH! How am i supposed to seperate myself from the people im better than??!! J/K obviously. I will throw some money at the site. I have only been utilizing it a little while, but the amount of info available at one place is amazing. No more google this and google that to find the info i need. Great site!
thumb_up.gif

For some of the newer oRgsters, there is some long and painful history behind both donations and raffles; to those that have been around for a couple of years, you know what I am talking about... CAp does not like taking donations, which in my mind is a big part of how special this place is - and why ... EVERYONE has a part in the partnership - the Boss does not take donations lightly. I and the other Mods/Admins have been beating him up almost constantly since he took the donation link down to put it back up.

This is by no means to be interpreted as applying pressure - as the Boss says, everyone has complete access, everyone contributes in different ways... if you can give $, great - if you have mod ideas or maintenance experience, those are just as good - if you are able to provide time to perform a function on the board that is certainly appreciated as well! what is important is that we all give something back to the board that gives so much to us. Many members have made statements about how the .oRg is a community, all that is asked is that the community's health is not just the responsibility of one man, or a small few.

Just my .02, if it is worth that.

Sounds like a good solid plan to me, will the international members have a donation facility, i.e. PayPal?

When the donations open, paypal will be the preferred method, but not the only one.

Just have '99 pay per post. This place is like a **** addiction to him.
laugh.gif

Seriously though I'd be more then happy to donate considering the bandwidth I've been known to use up. This site and the people on here are my second family.
beerchug.gif

Just have '99 pay per post. This place is like a **** addiction to him.    
laugh.gif

Seriously though I'd be more then happy to donate considering the bandwidth I've been known to use up. This site and the people on here are my second family.    
beerchug.gif
I was thinking the same thing!
laugh.gif
99busa will need some serious attention from the Indy contingent if the site is down for a whole week. Don't worry folks, Randy, Wayne, and myself will be sure to look after him.

Hey, this site made me some good friends when I moved to SoCal so I would be more then happy to donate. Count me in.

laugh.gif

I LOVE the idea CAP !!! The only thing that stinks is, I could donate every penny I have, and still wouldn't touch what I get out of this place !!!

Man I PRAY it don't rain that week, I WILL BE LOST !!!!
and if it rains....what
rock.gif
?..........get out there BUB !!!!
coolold.gif

Cap / DOUG...is there a Hayabusa.org patch I can use for that week
rock.gif
?.....some sort of withdrawl cessation tool or something
rock.gif
?......I'm not going to pretend it's not going to hurt, a bit.....
deadhorse.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

The only sad thing in the whole post is a week without my crack... i mean .org

Just give the dates Cap, and I am more than sure that the donations will fly in!

i'm in for
2cents.gif
or so
beerchug.gif
...also, just tell VaB's to let me know when you need me to test the cussing screener on the new board
firedevil.gif

laugh.gif

I'm in too Cap, just need to know when. Thanks guys, this place rocks and I have made many great friends that I would have otherwise not ever known. What can I do for you?  
beerchug.gif
Also, Doug
gotpm.gif
on the LEO support.

Back