ZX-14 Crash - Draggin The Alpine

Any idea why the front tire was mounted backwards?

I'm gonna stereotype because of the chrome clutch cover and ask if the bike had been lowered? If not, he had certainly bottomed out the suspension prior to putting it down. Judging from the scrape on the exhaust (right side) it looks like he'd already been pushing his luck.

Glad he was alright.

Why are the hay bales there? Is this corner famous for crashes?

Yeah Blanca there are quite a few events like that, they will shut down a section roadway let people play on it. They don't do it here in FL, maybe cause we have no roads worth riding :laugh: But it seems like a really fun way to spend the day:thumbsup:

Any idea why the front tire was mounted backwards?

I'm gonna stereotype because of the chrome clutch cover and ask if the bike had been lowered? If not, he had certainly bottomed out the suspension prior to putting it down. Judging from the scrape on the exhaust (right side) it looks like he'd already been pushing his luck.

Glad he was alright.

IDK Daniel, hes one of your people, ask him a the next Kaw grazzing :rofl:

I bet he'll be feeling that for a week or 2, Im glad i never managed that when i was low and slow (and no comments saying Im still slow either :moon:)

Lowered bikes look cool. But if you are putting them hard over in corners you better think twice. Dragging metal or covers will send you on the slickest ride you'll ever remember...or not!!!

IDK Daniel, hes one of your people, ask him a the next Kaw grazzing :rofl:

Grazing? :rofl: Your bike has spent far more time in the grass than mine. Lying around in it even! :poke::rofl:

In response to the above incident, I submit a photograph of our very own Fishhook. It can be done. And on crappy stock tires, no less.

Kevin & Kermit.jpg

Grazing? :rofl: Your bike has spent far more time in the grass than mine. Lying around in it even! :poke::rofl:

In response to the above incident, I submit a photograph of our very own Fishhook. It can be done. And on crappy stock tires, no less.

This is gonna be you Daniel after your trackday in September :thumbsup:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Your just mad that your not cool enough to fall off, with style.

That poor bloke's fate was sealed before he tipped in. It's rare that a crash occurs due to "A" mistake. This crash was no exception. Although there are multiple mistakes this guy made there are two that really stand out. Anyone else see them?

It's a typical day when all but one makes it through a given corner with no issues. :dunno:

That poor bloke's fate was sealed before he tipped in. It's rare that a crash occurs due to "A" mistake. This crash was no exception. Although there are multiple mistakes this guy made there are two that really stand out. Anyone else see them?

It's a typical day when all but one makes it through a given corner with no issues. :dunno:

Ill bite, Thinkin body postion and where he is looking?

Had a blast Saturday at the Closed Road Course in Burkesville KY; Draggin the Alpine. Our group had about 20 riders from mid-TN, and the entire event had approximately 100 riders from around the KY, TN, NC, IN areas. We had our own group photographer that road up on his Goldwing just to take pics (some shown below). In one of the passes on the closed course, a couple of us were finding our way to the front of the pack. Donny on his BMW S1000RR, and I had just passed (thank goodness) this ZX-14 shown below, when all hell broke lose (the guy was OK and walked away):

Found a couple more pics. I am on the faster Busa just behind the slower ZX14. We Donnie on the S100RR and I passed the guy at some point before his crash:

Behind the 14.jpg

Behind the ZX14.jpg

Ill bite, Thinkin body postion and where he is looking?

I see two things that really stand out. One is line choice. Notice how tight he is against the center line entering the corner. He has no choice but to run wide on the exit.

The second thing I noticed is the throttle is closed (Notice the position of the throttle hand). He has all the lean angle he is going to get and should have the throttle open to unload the front tire.

Poor line choice is usually the common denominator for corner crashes. Rarely is the cause "Too much speed". That bike in proper hands would have finished the corner at that speed without issue. That old Matt Mladin statement "He simply ran out of talent when he needed it most" certainly fits here.

That bike was not going to finish the corner from the position of the bike in the first photo. The bike wasn't capable of cornering tight enough to make that corner from his position at that speed. The decision was made before he ever tipped in that a crash was imminent. Poor body position was a factor but line choice was the critical mistake. Then not taking the load off the front tire with the throttle was the final nail in the coffin.

Two things one "MUST" master to be a successful corner carver "Line choice and throttle management"! Remove either one from the equation and your fate is sealed.

Back