Your Thoughts on a Radiator Guard

60+ Busa Rider

Registered
The radiator on my ZX14R is a more exposed than on my Gen3 Busa so I’m thinking about installing a radiator guard like the one pictured below. How many of you have had radiator damage from rocks and such? Would you install one on your motorcycle?

0323541D-157D-4387-BCF2-A82FDE227DFD.png

The radiator on my ZX14R is a more exposed than on my Gen3 Busa so I’m thinking about installing a radiator guard like the one pictured below. How many of you have had radiator damage from rocks and such? Would you install one on your motorcycle?

View attachment 1682273

I should have put one on mine back in 2006. My rad looks terrible it’s so beat up by debri hitting it. Surprised I’m not overheating. I did put one on my Kawasaki though as like you say it’s more out in the open. Certainly seems like a good idea.

I should have put one on mine back in 2006. My rad looks terrible it’s so beat up by debri hitting it. Surprised I’m not overheating. I did put one on my Kawasaki though as like you say it’s more out in the open. Certainly seems like a good idea.
Thanks, your advice is very appreciated, I’m also thinking it’s a good idea.

One thing I noticed is when I walk up to the ZX14 the radiator is one of the first things you see, but on the Busa you don’t seem to notice the radiator. That’s what got me thinking about a radiator guard.

I've been on 3 rides where someone's radiator was damaged, twice it looked like a rock hit...and the other had a small stick through it.
I've also seen a couple guards that looked like they took some substantial hits from something(assume rocks).
I originally didn't want to try a guard, as I thought the engine temperature may rise a few degrees from reduced airflow, but I have never noticed a difference on any bike.
I have RRG guards out of the UK on my '03 Gsxr1k, and they fit perfectly and are very well made.

20231209_235833.jpg

20231209_235815.jpg

I've been on 3 rides where someone's radiator was damaged, twice it looked like a rock hit...and the other had a small stick through it.
I've also seen a couple guards that looked like they took some substantial hits from something(assume rocks).
I originally didn't want to try a guard, as I thought the engine temperature may rise a few degrees from reduced airflow, but I have never noticed a difference on any bike.
I have RRG guards out of the UK on my '03 Gsxr1k, and they fit perfectly and are very well made.

View attachment 1682445

View attachment 1682446
That one looks good. The ones Ive seen must have been cheapy ones.

That one looks good. The ones Ive seen must have been cheapy ones.

Yeah, I've seen some of those too...and they aren't very good.
These fit into the inner sides of the radiator tanks, push the center of the guard, and it pops back flush against the core, at the curved angle you see.
It basically holds itself in place, but it comes with stainless steel tie wire.
I do 4 corners and one in the center, and have never had a problem.
RRG is also available in an aluminum looking finish, not just black.
The rubber edge trim can be peeled and the screen can be powder coated as well.
Most bikes come with an oil cooler guard from the factory too, but you can get one that matches the radiator, and they're cheaper together.

View attachment 1682273
its an absolute must have.
ive suffered the consequences of a damaged radiator and its not a welcomed experience, especially when you far from home.
its worth the investment.
why they dont come standard with "touring" bikes is beyond me.

Back