You have a spare key right? If not, get one!

First thing I do is have a couple spare keys made and put up one of the originals with the key code in a safe place. Losing a key without a backup is never a good thing. :whistle:

My dealership would not take the time to get me a suzuki key... went to the locksmith guy and cut me 2 for under 10 bucks... just flat, no plastic but fits in wallet. Think it is a good idea when travelling.

Glad you found it!

The day I bought mine I rode it home, went to go for a ride with a neighbor and grabbed the keys off the counter. There was only 1 key there...only thing we figured out was the spare key came off the ring as I was on the highway home! I have a few extra around now...:whistle:

i stashed my spare when i got the bike... wife knows where it is...wait....mabey thats not a good idea...lol

The keys used to come with a small black plastic tag with a key code to get the spare made... VIN alone wasn't good enough
That code is usually stamped in an 'almost impossible to reach without disassembly' location on the ignition module itself, as well.

It could be worse you could live in Australia and lose your keys you have to get a whole new ECU $$$$$$$$ ! security chip is in the head of key and is matched to the ECU ! > Hobo
They should be able to program your key to the ECU. We do it with cars.

I don't know about the ' busa (I've got an extra), but I needed an extra key for my ATV. I had to buy a blank for the dealership then find a locksmith to cut it from the originial. I visited 7 locksmiths until I could find one to do it. IN all--cost me $18 for the blank and $1.25 to have it cut. Who knew if would be such a PITA?

It could be worse you could live in Australia and lose your keys you have to get a whole new ECU $$$$$$$$ ! security chip is in the head of key and is matched to the ECU ! > Hobo

You know, I was under the impression that the US bikes were also chipped to the ECU. That's why I never attempted to have extra keys made. Thus far I've never lost a key (Knock on wood).

After reading this thread I stopped in at the local True Value Hardware Store and had a key made for my GSXR1K and the new key starts the bike just fine.

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread. I learned something that could turn out to be very valuable! :beerchug:

Back