You have a spare key right? If not, get one!

el stumpo

Registered
My little car's radiator decides it's had enough and starts leaking all over the place. No problem, I can take the Busa to work, now where are those keys.....

I bought my Busa used and it came with only one key. I never made a spare. So the hunt is on.

I tear apart the house, can't find anything. Take the bus (not Busa) to work. Next day, more house-tearing apart. Searching the oRg archives for how to get an extra key. Don't really like what I'm reading about the cost of a new key.

Call the stealership. What? No, manufactures cannot make keys anymore from a VIN. No, we won't do it. Only option is to buy a new ignition at $240 *cough*. Ebay? no, you don't want to do that. Better to deal with your friendly stealership than some unknown guy on Ebay. "Thanks. Goodbye".

Call stealership #2 in VA. No, we don't do that. "Please?" No, we don't make keys here. There is a guy who can do it down the street, you need to take our your ignition and bring it to him. "How much?" I don't know what he charges, maybe $30.

Call Guy-Down-The-Street. Yea, $35 minimum, bring the ignition. "Minimum?". Yea, could go up depending on the pins. "ok".

They're 50 miles one-way. Let's see if someone local can help.

Pop-A-Lock - no, we don't do motorcycles. Goodbye.

Local locksmith. Motorcycle? Yea, I can do it. Can you bring it to me? "<thinking> umm..sure, let me put the key in and drive it down". Where are you at? Oh, ok, it's $187. $90 if you bring it to me . "Um, uhhh. ok thanks"

Go tear up the house s'more. Finally find the key in one of the cars. Whew!

Now to figure out where to get a copy done...

If you don't have a spare, get one now! It's a PITA if you need a key and don't have one they can copy!

PS - Home Depot wasn't able to make a copy. The search is on.

PPS- finished the rad, upper and lower hoses and thermostat on the car this morning. It's happy now..

Congrats on finding your key...:thumbsup: I always make sure there is a spare around. They sell blanks on ebay you can get cut for next to nothing...

that blows.. calling to check monday for cost!!

i think my keys r pretty safe in the ignitions...
3bikes and 1 car. safe enouph in the garage!!

ask PD Busa ... he recently went through the whole getting a spare key thing done :whistle:

I thought for sure you were going to find the key in the "hump" lock... done that a couple times myself already.. :laugh:

Hmm... Never really thought about it but my bike only came with one key too. Anyone know if the Sponsors on this site can get blanks?

You can get it at the dealership. Must prove proof of ownership. They send off to Suzuki with vin # and you get it in about a week. Dont ask why I know this. :whistle:

The keys used to come with a small black plastic tag with a key code to get the spare made... VIN alone wasn't good enough

I go to a local locksmith, he charges me $4 per key. I have four keys for my Busa and 4 for the ZX-10.

When I go on trips I carry one, put one in my backpack, one in my suitcase and the others stay home. I have been on trips and broken or bent motorcycle keys and even lost a key. I have yet to be stranded, I like my cheapo $4 keys.

When I do trackdays I keep an extra key inside the car. I don't want to be the guy that arrives at the track and forgot the key at home. I see it happen often at the track.

It could be worse you could live in Australia and lose your keys you have to get a whole new ECU $$$$$$$$ ! security chip is in the head of key and is matched to the ECU ! > Hobo

damn peter that sounds like a bad day. Especially the ride on the bus :poke::laugh:
glad to hear you found it...

Simply amazing, my stress klevels went through the roof just reading your post :laugh:

Glad you got it squared away.

You can get it at the dealership. Must prove proof of ownership. They send off to Suzuki with vin # and you get it in about a week. Dont ask why I know this. :whistle:

Stealership told me they would not cut a key from the codes. They just don't do it anymore. His answer was "Manufacturers don't do it anymore". He sounded like we wouldn't have done it with the code, but not 100%

I go to a local locksmith, he charges me $4 per key. I have four keys for my Busa and 4 for the ZX-10.

When I go on trips I carry one, put one in my backpack, one in my suitcase and the others stay home. I have been on trips and broken or bent motorcycle keys and even lost a key. I have yet to be stranded, I like my cheapo $4 keys.

When I do trackdays I keep an extra key inside the car. I don't want to be the guy that arrives at the track and forgot the key at home. I see it happen often at the track.

I was going to get 2 extra, I think I'm going to get three now and put one in the safe...

The keys used to come with a small black plastic tag with a key code to get the spare made... VIN alone wasn't good enough

Mine came with that when I bought it (new).
Several key and lock places around here,surely somebody will make one if the stealerships won't.
I've got the 2 that came with the bike, hopefully I'll never need another one.

My local locksmith made me a couple no problem he even made me a extra for my 1975 Kaw H1 from his stock.

Why is it such a big deal to cut a new key for motorcycles?! Wow what a pain, glad I got both mine with my bike!

Back