yet another undertail thread

please get rid of those stock turns, use flush mounts instead...looks strange in current setup IMO. I tried the same thing you did, then bought an undertail replacement...

I just need to shorten them...take middle section out somehow.... Im happy with it so far

I'm more concerned about visibility than the looks of a perfect undertail and havent seen a flush mount that provides that

Like this...

DSC01862.jpg

DSC01861.jpg

I think the reason this subject gets beat to death is because the market has not offered what a lot of people want.

No offense to those with undertails, but I think they are too blingy. A wheel well should not be detailed, it is the part of total visual picture that should be in shadow, with no detail visible, IMO. Plus, you need a hugger to protect the paint and that adds weight (unsprung weight) that shouldn't be needed.

The stock rear fender has to go. I have been looking for a fender eliminator that also removes the black plastic trim running forward and above the fender and turnsignals. The Competition Werkes offering looks kinda lame and there really aren't any other fender eliminators available without going to a complete undertail.

It looks like I'm going to have to fabricate this myself to get what I want. I plan on doing it with aluminum sheet, powder-coated black. I will cut off the license plate light and relocate to shine on the plate, which I want to place forward under the tail piece a little further and have discreet brackets for stock (shortened) turnsignals.

I know the look I'm going for. When this gets done (I'm in no rush, it snowed here earlier this week), I'll post pics.

Blue1

look forward to seeing that ... just ordered a Clear Alternatives 1999-2007 Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa Smoke Tail Light Lens and LED Board with Integrated Signals - Ribbed similiar to Power 739...

ill post up when Im done that way ill lose the turn signals and have em integrated 75 bucks total charge

Chop it all off, get some mini signals, mount to back of license plate...
thumb_up.gif

Oh yeah, & fab up some muffler clamps...I've broke 3 OEMs & they're not cheap...

thumb_up.gif

Oh yeah, & fab up some muffler clamps...I've broke 3 OEMs & they're not cheap...
If you chop it all off, water can get between the painted tail and the frame, and there are some electronics on the left side that I wouldn't want to get wet. That area needs to be sealed.

I have mini turn signals on my ZRX and my riding buds tell me they aren't that visible, even with halogen bulbs that I retrofitted. Also, the plate needs to be lit.

Blue1

I think the reason this subject gets beat to death is because the market has not offered what a lot of people want.

No offense to those with undertails, but I think they are too blingy.  A wheel well should not be detailed, it is the part of total visual picture that should be in shadow, with no detail visible, IMO. Plus, you need a hugger to protect the paint and that adds weight (unsprung weight) that shouldn't be needed.

The stock rear fender has to go.  I have been looking for a fender eliminator that also removes the black plastic trim running forward and above the fender and turnsignals.  The Competition Werkes offering looks kinda lame and there really aren't any other fender eliminators available without going to a complete undertail.

It looks like I'm going to have to fabricate this myself to get what I want.  I plan on doing it with aluminum sheet, powder-coated black.  I will cut off the license plate light and relocate to shine on the plate, which I want to place forward under the tail piece a little further and have discreet brackets for stock (shortened) turnsignals.

I know the look I'm going for.  When this gets done (I'm in no rush, it snowed here earlier this week), I'll post pics.

Blue1
if you get a decent undertail and hugger, then they weigh no more than the oem undertail/rear fender. A hugger will make your rear section easier to clean and actually will help with aeros.

Something you might want to look into. Find a set of 03 gixxer tail lights. They look alot cleaner and you can usually find them pretty cheap. Put a set of clear alternatives covers on them. There not really much small, but the look is much cleaner.

Busa_Lights_1_.JPG_org.jpg

thumb_up.gif

If you chop it all off, water can get between the painted tail and the frame, and there are some electronics on the left side that I wouldn't want to get wet.  That area needs to be sealed.

I have mini turn signals on my ZRX and my riding buds tell me they aren't that visible, even with halogen bulbs that I retrofitted.  Also, the plate needs to be lit.

Blue1
So you dont ride in the rain?
dunno.gif

thumb_up.gif

If you chop it all off, water can get between the painted tail and the frame, and there are some electronics on the left side that I wouldn't want to get wet.  That area needs to be sealed.

I have mini turn signals on my ZRX and my riding buds tell me they aren't that visible, even with halogen bulbs that I retrofitted.  Also, the plate needs to be lit.

Blue1
So you dont ride in the rain?  
dunno.gif
I don't plan on riding in the rain, but sh*t happens!

Back