Yet Another Exhaust Thread

pulk

Registered
I know there are numerous threads discussing exhaust systems, sorry in advance. I am torn between the R77 and Ti systems. Basically, what I'm after is appearance and sound (performance lastly). I want something that looks good (to me) and has a deep growl but not terribly loud (like War, I am also a believer that loud=fatigue).

Yosh R77-- So, it looks like the Yoshi full system is 4-2-1 and the slip-on alternative is of course dual-can. I am guessing there's still a significant weight loss with the slip-ons over stock (around 15 lbs maybe?). As far as this system goes, cosmetically, I lean towards the R77 carbon fiber (over other R77 styles as well as any of the Ti). The carbon has a deep rich tone to it that I really dig and I'm not even a huge carbon-fiber fan. However, and this is just a personal preference, I like the dual exhaust look. So if I go the R77 route I'm looking at slip ons. The disadvantage, for me, with this system is the sound (thanks War for the sound clip). It could be that the sound clip was not a top-notch recording (I don't mean that in an insulting way, War--how did you mic the pipes with a standard video cam mic?). A less than stellar mic'ing is actually what I'm hoping. Sounds like the recording may not have picked up the full tonal range but perhaps not. It's either that or the Yosh system just doesn't have that deep tone.

Ti-- I don't really like the carbon fiber version of this system. I'd probably go with the titanium. I think I like the 480mm better than the 380mm and it appears I could go dual slip-on or 4-2-2 full with these. So, either way I get to maintain the dual-exhaust look. This may sound ridiculous but I don't like the logos on the Ti system. Are they installed at the factory? If they are, can they be removed easily without scratching? The Yosh R77 logos actually look nice though. The big advantage of the Ti system, from what I can tell so far, is that they provide a nice deep growl (thanks again full for the sound clip). Unfortunately, with such a wide range of mics out there, most of which are not that great, and the fact that standard desktop speakers don't really produce "true" reproduction of audio (you would need a decent pair of studio monitors and a good audio source--i.e. a good mic) it is hard to determine which system sounds closest to what I'm looking for.

Last of all, could someone please explain the advantage of a full system over slip-ons? Is it just the weight or a combination of weight and performance? By the way, if anyone in GA has either of these systems I would like to pay you a visit to hear and see them in person
smile.gif

The full system saves wait and will have the best performance.

Sounds like you want a dual system, that's good because the duals will be quieter. Also sounds like you like the longer cans. Good again because it should be even quieter.

Only you can decide what looks best to you.

More exhausts will be coming out don't forget.

Good luck with yur search.

Take your time.

I have the full Yosh R-77 with the baffle/silencer removed and it's not that loud and it gives a clean deep sound. I haven't heard the Ti-Force yet so I'm not sure wich sounds better. In all honesty they probaly sound fairly similar. That's just my
2cents.gif

One more question. Is it relatively easy to install the full system? I've installed slip-ons before and it was a piece of cake but how much more difficult is a full system?

One more question. Is it relatively easy to install the full system?
It was relatively easy for me, however, I've been turning a wrench on a bike for, uh, more than just a few years now.

That said, truthfully, it's not brutally difficult; the biggest single element you need to have in order to do the install right is a simply patience. If you try to rush this job, things can go south in a hurry.

But if you take your time, work slow and methodically, you'll be fine.

There is one area that the instructions are *completely lacking, which is discouraging because the impact if you phuck up that part of the install is significant. I am still writing up a big hairy article with the usual close up photos, so I'll show you *exactly* what to avoid. Should be done in another day or so.

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
It could be that the sound clip was not a top-notch recording (I don't mean that in an insulting way, War--how did you mic the pipes with a standard video cam mic?).[/quote]

No, no, it's cool, mang. I concur my recording wasn't very optimal, because it was just a lame-o Sony Cyper-Shot digital camera that I sat on a folding chair positioned about 5 feet away from the bike. Frankly, I am amazed the trivial little built-in mic off this camera recorded it as well as it did.

From your description, you appear to be primarily after the visual and aural aspects of the exhaust system. If you *must* have the twin cans, I don't see where Yosh is making that in a full system yet (perhaps I just overlooked it?) If true, and twin canisters are a must for you, I would go with the TiForce, no question.

That said... the weight savings in unloading the stock header and the massive huge cat is not something to be ignored. The R-77 canister in a 4-2-1 full system is The $hit, you just need to remove the baffle insert for a deeper throatiness. Removing the baffle is a trivial job (it is retained by a single fastener), and the bike sounds awesome without it. Truthfully, if I wasn't going to turn this K8 into a competitive Endurance Rally bike, I would likely take the baffle out myself.

With the 4-2-1 Yosh R-77 kit, the only real decision you have to make is whether you go Carbon Fiber, or Ti. The sole reason I went with the carbon fiber was to try and stay with the dark theme of the charcoal/gray paint scheme.

I can tell you are having fun trying to decide here, 'cause it's definitely some spendy coin to drop for this mod, so you need to get the decision right the first time. Do note the twin-can TiForce full system is about twice as expensive as the Yosh solution.

Good luck.
cool.gif

I will get you pictures and dyno reports today from a tune with the R-77. I normally test up to (5) different systems on my personal bikes. Helps me to give better reviews because I am one picky SOB...
thumb_up.gif

Back