Yet another lowering thread

lil charlie

Registered
First I would like to thank everyone on here for the help I’ve gotten and knowledge I’ve obtained reading other peoples threads. I’m really starting to get to know my Busa! :bowdown:

I searched the site and found some of the info I’m looking for but I still have a few questions. So firsst I need to give you a little about my bike and my riding style. The bike is basically stock, a few small mods here and there but nothing major. I never take my bike to the track (nor do I ever plan on doing so) I don’t knee drag but I do hit it hard in the twisties. I’m 6’-2’’ and 240lbs, and sometimes I ride 2 up. The only reason I want to lower it is because I like the way it looks. For fear of messing up the design of my suspension I plan on lowering the front and back equally. I was originally thinking 1†but I have heard of people rubbing headers at that depth. Is 1’’ a lot for the front? Should I be thinking more like ¾â€™â€™ or will that still rub cuz anything less than 3/4'' and dont think I would even notice a difference in the way it looks? Is tightening up my rear shock going to be enough to keep the back from rubbing or do I need an aftermarket one? I have been looking at two different ways to do the front, with a new top clamp and with Soupys risers. I’m not sure I will like the look of Soupys spacers but the price is right. Can you guys post up some pics of what they look like installed (both the new clamp and the spacers) so I can pick which style will look the best? Thanks again for the free advice and letting me post up another tread about lowering.

Lil Charlie

Don't have a close up of the spacers, but here's mine. Dropped 1" in front and at least a couple in the rear. I haven't hit the header yet, but I do rub my shoe quite a bit when turning. It does handle differently than stock, but once you get used to it, it's no big deal. I personally like the way it rides (straight) better. The spacers also raise the bars making for a more upright riding position. Coupled with dropping the rear, it almost feels like I'm riding a cruiser. I like that part a lot. :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1300303574.731846.jpg

Thanks Jethro52185…..The other info I think I should mention is I don’t want to sit up any straighter than I already do. I crushed my pelvis pretty badly from a wreck in 07’ and the whole reason I switched from a cruisers to a hayabusa was that sitting straight up puts too much pressure on the back of my pelvis and tail bone. I couldn’t ride for more than 20mins on a cruser so I made the switch. The Busa allows me too lean forward enough that it takes all of the weight off of my pelvis and I can ride for several hours before the pain sets in so I don’t want my handle bars any higher.

Well I guess there's your answer on what you should do for the front. Take your hands and make a fist and sit on your bike with your knuckles on the bars, that's about how you would sit with the risers in the front, then take your seat off and sit on the battery. May not be an exact replica of how you would sit on a lowered bike, but it should be close. Close enough for you to get a feel for it anyway. Just so you will know about what it would be like before you jump in feet first.

I personally don't think you can beat the 1" down in front and 2" down in rear look. That stance looks badazz to me. Not at home so I can't throw up pix of the '06 lowered. However with your size and a passenger you will be dragging the header tubes occasionally and scrubbing the rear inner fender with the tire. You stated you do like to hit the twisties hard. unfortunately unless you want to become an expert and spend about an hour changing the stance of the bike you will not be able to do as well in corners. The hard parts and your feet as mentioned will contact the road much sooner. So you have to make some decisions. If you do lower it just remember it's lowered when you decide to hit the corners.

The lower you are the easier it is to drag your fairing through the curves too. The right side hits sooner than the left, as the right side of the engine sits out further. As mentioned, it'll also be easier to drag your foot of the peg through curves. It's alot harder to make the bike handle well once it's lowered too, and it'll never be as good as stock.
Since it's only for looks, enjoy the ride and leave it alone.

Back