Would you pull the oil pan or not?

A heli-coil properly installed in aluminum is better/stronger than the original aluminum threads. Look at the better quality aftermarket race heads, (car), thay have heli-coils in the high load bolt holes, ie exaust etc.

Not a pro, or Mr Bogus, but I would replace it. You know that it will fail at the least opportune moment if you leave it alone. Let me set the scene:
Your buddies and you are leaving on a ride tomorrow...
You: I need to get of work early today, change the oil and clean her up.
Your Boss: Uhh, we have a situation developing, need you to stay late tonight and work on it....
You: #$%^&^%$#@$#%! But I got this ride tomorrow and gotta get my bike ready....
Your Boss: And this is my problem how, exactly?
You: Fine.....

Later that night, you get home totally worn out thinking: Screw it, I'm gonna get some sleep. I will get up early and change the oil....
Wake up at 5 AM the morning of the ride, pull the bodywork and go to drain the pan. Bolt spins in place with a small stream of oil dribbling from it. Game over!
Replace the pan while you got it apart. (I suggest getting with Golden Child for a good deal on a used pan) Sleep soundly.Ride when you want, worry-free!
? but he would suggest a new pan gasket.. There are a couple beads of solvent based sealant on the thing in critical areas..

Second picture: Gasket Numbers

Last edited:
DragonBusa...where are you? what clasifieds? Any info would be helpful...saw a turbo 2 in pan with swivel pickup on fleabay...wasn't cheap..2hp

its on the org classifieds, go to the main page and scroll down till you see classifieds. it was still on there last night. its a race pan for lots of cleance.

A heli-coil properly installed in aluminum is better/stronger than the original aluminum threads. Look at the better quality aftermarket race heads, (car), thay have heli-coils in the high load bolt holes, ie exaust etc.
+1 sorry did not see that post :)

thread serts/helicoils make for a much nicer racing experience when the treads stay in the motor where they belong :)

I buy these stripped pans all the time on Ebay for 15 to 20 bucks and heli-coil them. I have four of them right now. During the race season I ended up selling them to people who stand up the front end and slam it down at the track. They have worked everytime without leaking.

The bottom line is, if you are trying to save a buck, heli-coil it. If you want to do it right spend another 40 or 50 bucks and get one off ebay. (Personally I prefer you pick option "B" and sell the one you have now on ebay for 15.00 bucks so I can get it.)

Back