Man were you guys right about the oil pan part II

2hip

Registered
This is part two about the oil pan...couldn't have been luckier. After reading all of the recommendations about changing the oil pan while bike was stripped I went out to garage to pull the pan. At the last second the "Doubting Thomas" took momentary control...I just wish these other voices in my head would just go away...make note to myself to adjust medications:rofl: So, I said to my other self...after "we" drain the oil, let's just put the plug back in and test it...no sense, he says, in pulling the pan and the expenses if the plug held the first time...it'll be okay the second...right? After oil drained.. I inspected oil outlet hole with strong light and mirror. Noticed some pieces of aluminum thread at distal end of the plug..pulled them out with needle nose...hum, this can't be good...started steel bolt and went in okay...snugged it up finger tight and felt secure...Got torque wrench out and set it to 23 newtons per manual...I didn't go even a quarter turn and she started free-spinning...:banghead: Orgsters...thanks again for solid advice...Can you imagine if I had put the new muffler on and the plastics and then got a free spin out of the oil plan...you would have heard my primal scream in Missouri...2hip

Get a drain plug with holes drilled in for safety wire. You will rely on the safety wire to prevent the plug from backing out. You will never have to over torque the drain plug. They are not expensive and are aluminum. I use them on all my bikes.

yep...on the medical field...and Megawatt...that is one of the best solutions of this little misadventure...go to an aluminum plug and wire it in to it can't back out...thanks man,
2hip

WOULD THIS HAVE BEEN YOU.....

- Mötley Crüe - Primal Scream/Uncensored Version[/url]

"PRIMAL SCREAM AND SHOUT, RIP THAT MUTHA OUT"

Last edited by a moderator:
Battled those little voices all my life..unfortunately, they seem to be winning the battle as of late:whistle:2hip

Back