Worst thing i've ever had to do

BigBadDodge

Registered
Hear all sorts of noise outside this morning, about 830, look out the window, cops everywhere, get dressed and go out to find they're at my neighbors house. Had a heart attack, cops got his heart beating again right as ambulance showed up. Had to head down to my dads so the ride really helped my head get back about 1 neighbor who had taken his wife to the er says they have him in icu and its not looking real good. Figure nothing can take old dan, he's a resiliant old bastard, had 2 other heart attacks and was nearly burned alive a few years ago in a race car accident that no one even expected him to survive the impact.
About 4pm his daughter drops his wife off to get cleaned up and get away from the hospital for a few, comes right over to the garage in tears and proceeds to tell me, ya know dan thought real highly of you, i know you guys were real good friends you may wanna go say goodbye to him tonight, probably gonna take him off the machines tomorrow...Asked her if she was going back over and she said no so i put down my tools hopped on the bike and went over there.
Wasnt sure what to say or how to handle myself, i've lost alot of people close to me but its always been an instant thing or they were gone before i was informed so seeing him there "alive" knowing he probably wouldnt be here tomorrow(unless this miracle i've been hoping for all day happens) was by far the roughest thing i've ever done, would never wish it on anyone and feel terrible for everyone that has had to go through it. Lot on my mind right now.

When i moved into my house he was the first neighbor i met, old welder and diesel mechanic really well known for his circle track cars and chassis, previous heart attacks didnt let him do much so he pretty much hung out in the garage tinkering with his cars all day. I'd get home from work and go bs with him for a few hours, pretty much everyday. Hell he stood out in the street in shorts and a tshirt at -13 below and blinding snow this past winter helping me get the clutches dialed in on the sled. Just yesterday i was over there bs'ing with him about building his shop in the back and selling me his tig, he used to always say "ah hell paul with my health being so f***** up i could die tomorrow, i aint gonna build some nice shop to leave for her new husband to enjoy"

I'm really holding onto hope for him everyone please send out your best wishes for him and his family could definately use em about now

That's a very sad read and I have all the sympathy in the world for his wife & friends, including you. That would be very rough!!
It sounds like you have some great memories with him and that is a truly wonderful thing. He'll be in my thoughts. Peace to you all!

Thats terrible bro, i feel for ya. Sounds like a heck of a guy and great friend. Prayers for all involved

Wow thats got to be so rough. Im trying to understand the hurt your feeling but I know its not possible. Im so sorry and my prayers are with you and to his family

prayers for him...but sounds like hes left a legacy..

im sorry, i know your pain all too well. i am the guy they call when any of the brothers go down. a few years ago i had to give last rights to a friend and brother. death is a very hard thing to deal with. we never know when were going to go, all we can do is live the best we can, and hope in the end we had a good run. if you have faith, now is the time to hold it close. if you don't have faith, now may be a good time to find some. god can help ease our pain when we hurt most.
again i am sorry for about your friend, i will be praying for yall.

That is a very tough thing to go through. We just went through that with my Grandmother a few months ago. Hang in there Brother, I'll keep you all in my Prayers.

We can choose our friends...we can't choose our family members...this man is like a dad to you and as close a friend as you will ever have...but yet like a dad...Some believe that religions were created for nothing more than to deal with this terrible issue of "loss" of love ones...It is his time and he has had his mortal journey...feel blessed that your spirits were kindred and u had the closeness that developed and enriched one another's lives. The bitter sting of mortality...it has a purpose...

Back