World's Fastest Indian

Robot

Donating Member
Registered
My father in law loaned me this DVD over the weekend. It was a great movie! I had never heard of Burt Munro. Anthony Hopkins did a great job.

In the 60's Burt Munro traveled to the salt flats(from New Zealand) on a shoestring budget and got his modified indian up to 200mph! Did I mention he was in his 60's with a heart condition when he did this. This man made his own pistons and camshafts. A true legend. Here is a link to some info on Burt.

http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/halloffame/hofbiopage.asp?id=381

Indian.jpg

Agree 100%!

A must watch for anyone who rides!

The scene where he is leaving for the States and the young, punk biker dudes come up and give him some money to help with the trip puts a lump in my throat everytime..

Bonneville is loaded with innovators like that... some really amazing engineering there and glad that some notice of what these guys are like gets out to the public...

Speedweek is something any gear head could really enjoy just sightseeing the ideas that have been employed.. Smart bunch of guys too...

Friend of mine "decked" a 500" Donovan down to 300cu inches (only took 2 years of building)
smile.gif

Yeah, really cool movie! That is how I want to be when I grow up!!

I actualy saw it when it played in a movies. I convinved my wife to go and in the end she said that she even liked the movie. It's one of the few "feel good" movies we both liked.

Anyone who hasn't seen it should go and buy the DVD. It really is a good movie.

One of my favorite parts is right in the beginning of the movie. The early morning ritual he has to start the bike...

A great movie. I have seen it several times and still find it one of those movies I can watch again and again.

I loved the scene on the beach when he needed a push start after the other guys had left the start line, and then he blew past them like they were in reverse right before he dumped it on the turn.

I got to thinking about the fact that his record for a sub 1K bike still stands and wondering why, with all the improvements in bikes, that it hasn't been bested. I wonder if the fact that he didn't have to put a bunch of safety gear on it made it so light that even today, the weight difference can't be overcome? Or maybe it is because he was just one fast son of a gun.

I still think what he did was incredible.

Back