Cherokee Indian

Skywalker

Donating Member
Registered
Do you know the legend of the Cherokee Indian youth's rite of Passage? His father takes him into the forest, blindfolds him and leaves him alone. He is required to sit on a stump the whole night and not remove the blindfold until the rays of the morning sun shine through it. He cannot cry out for help to anyone. Once he survives the night, he is a MAN.

He cannot tell the other boys of this experience, because each lad must come into manhood on his own. The boy is naturally terrified. He can hear all kinds of noises. Wild beasts must surely be all around him. Maybe even some human might do him harm. The wind blew the grass and earth, and shook his stump, but he sat stoically, never removing the blindfold. It would be the only way he could become a man!

Finally, after a horrific night the sun appeared and he removed his blindfold. It was then that he discovered his father sitting on the stump next to him. He had been at watch the entire night, protecting his son from harm. We, too, are never alone. Even when we don't know it, God is watching over us, sitting on the stump beside us. W hen trouble comes, all we have to do is reach out to Him. If y ou liked this story, pass it on. If not, you took off your blindfold before dawn.

Moral of the story: Just because you can't see God, doesn't mean He is not there.

'For we walk by faith, not by sight.'

A very good read, And very true. :thumbsup:

"One pair of hands working will do more then a thousand held together in prayer"

Sorry kiddies, :whistle: no sheep here...

"One pair of hands working will do more then a thousand held together in prayer"

Sorry kiddies, :whistle: no sheep here...
yep just what everyone needs, a friend without any faith, vision or self confidence..

yep just what everyone needs, a friend without any faith, vision or self confidence..

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but it sounds like you're saying that if your friend is not a believer, then he can't have any faith or vision or self confidence?

Puh-leeze.

That's like the idiot who stated unequivocally that if I don't believe in god, and if I'm not a Christian, it's not possible for me to be patriotic.

Good grief.

--Wag--

My niece is 5 years old....she still believes in santa claus. She honestly thinks he's watching over her and keeping track of the bad things that she does. She honestly thinks that if she writes him a letter of what she wants, he'll respond. She honestly thinks that if she does bad things, she won't get toys...but coal instead. I'd give anything to have such an acceptable mind again.

"Moral of the story: Just because you can't see Gods, doesn't mean thery are not there."

Fixed that for ya! :laugh::whistle::laugh:

The cherokee were arguably pantheists* if not, then they had a lot of spirits .

cheers
ken

"the Cherokee believed the world to have been created by a number of beneficent beings from an upper world;"
*http://philtar.ucsm.ac.uk/encyclopedia/nam/cherok.html

Last edited:
Most indigenous religions believe in a supreme being along with other "saints" (for lack of a better term) or "godlike" entities.

The Yoruba people of Nigeria, the Akan of Ghana, Native Americans and others. In the translation of language and culture of many of these religions they are made out to be polytheistic and it is more than likely misinterpretation.

We do not call Catholics polytheistic . . .

Just my .02

:moon:

Skywalker, Nice parable, thanks for sharing. Unfortunately every time someone puts up a religious, political or philosophical post there seems to be a rush to critique or even condemn. Unless it's invited by the author to comment or debate the old adage should apply : " If you dont have something nice to say ... " ???

Thanks much.... I hope there is more good then bad came from it and some that did enjoy for sure.

Skywalker, Nice parable, thanks for sharing. Unfortunately every time someone puts up a religious, political or philosophical post there seems to be a rush to critique or even condemn. Unless it's invited by the author to comment or debate the old adage should apply : " If you dont have something nice to say ... " ???

excellent :beerchug:

i never knock someone for there post and never will, i dont condem others for there opinions, if you belive in God as i do, or dont, thats your choice.
the one thing i have noticed that has become very relevant is that anything that pertains to God on here goes to the bad side in a hurry, now all this does to me is convince me more that jesus's return is close. i keep a firm belief in kentos statement
if you cant say something good, dont say it.

First off I shouldn't have posted, I was out of line. Was trying to come off as being more funny then ignorant but I now see that went over like a lead balloon... sorry.

Says who, you?

I've plenty of faith but it's not of the man-made variety and my vision is quite astute, thank you. And I lack self confidence because I refuse to be herded into a organized religion? It's because of my confidence I can be a free thinker without having a church/cult or any brainwashing institution to lean on to feel accepted.

And on that note everyone (yes, even you sheep :laugh:) have themselves a very merry New Year!

Great story. I am late posting because I looked at the subject and thought it was about the Indian motorcycle. Great looking bike but I am not really into them. Anyhow although your story related to a relationship with God, I immediately though of my relationship with my sons.

Do you know the legend of the Cherokee Indian youth's rite of Passage? His father takes him into the forest, blindfolds him and leaves him alone. He is required to sit on a stump the whole night and not remove the blindfold until the rays of the morning sun shine through it. He cannot cry out for help to anyone. Once he survives the night, he is a MAN.

He cannot tell the other boys of this experience, because each lad must come into manhood on his own. The boy is naturally terrified. He can hear all kinds of noises. Wild beasts must surely be all around him. Maybe even some human might do him harm. The wind blew the grass and earth, and shook his stump, but he sat stoically, never removing the blindfold. It would be the only way he could become a man!

Finally, after a horrific night the sun appeared and he removed his blindfold. It was then that he discovered his father sitting on the stump next to him. He had been at watch the entire night, protecting his son from harm. We, too, are never alone. Even when we don't know it, God is watching over us, sitting on the stump beside us. W hen trouble comes, all we have to do is reach out to Him. If y ou liked this story, pass it on. If not, you took off your blindfold before dawn.

Moral of the story: Just because you can't see God, doesn't mean He is not there.

'For we walk by faith, not by sight.'

:beerchug:

Back