Ill write the back story to this later today .

c10

Registered
( KC took me in with his 4 sons ) This was written by his son Kris , and has been my best friend since 1st year of HS . Over 30 years as friends .

1-11-1945- 11-29-2018
My father, Kitchell Collins Compton.
He liked to go by "K.C." , his grandchildren affectionately called him "cowboy papa" from when he was working on the big cattle ranch in Wyoming.
K.C. was a good hearted man who would give you the shirt off his back or the food from his plate.
He would help people that were down on there luck even when he didn't have much to give.
K.C. would make you laugh almost to tears with his humorous story's and adventures.
While raising all 4 of us boys Kris, Brian, John, Steven. My father worked at US Steel Mill for 11 years before they closed the plant.
He worked as a courier for a bank and as a baker in a pie and cake shop, head cook at a BBQ shop, a head cook on a big cattle ranch in Wyoming and many other jobs. He always told me to take pride in your work, what ever you are doing , learn and do the best you can at all you do.
My father is a decorated Vietnam Veteran. Bronze star, and purple heart.
K.C. volunteered at 18 and was in battle by 19, he was combat medic on the front lines with only a medics bag and a pistol, s
aving men's lives in the midst of death and destruction happening all around him, yet he did his job with courage and self sacrifice.
He gave a lot of him self for this country and for his brothers in arms. He didn't let losing an eye and witnessing the horrors of war stop him from trying to better himself. He also pursued a college education that provided an opportunity to become an educator.
My father wasn't a perfect man, he did the best at raising all four of us boys pretty much on his own. He gave me the love for the outdoors and natute. My father taught me to be a woodsman and a steward of the land and it's wildlife, he also taught me self reliance, courage and strength to stand up and be my own man. I think he did that for my brothers as well.
This world has lost a great man and a loving father. I know he is in a better place and his suffering is over, but I still miss him and will always love him.
To my father K.C. Compton,
Love Kris

One thing before I head off to the day . KC lost his eye in Vietnam when a RPG ( if remember right ) hit in back of the duce he , and many other soldiers were riding in . It killed many of them , and took out his eye , and put shrapmetal in other parts of his body . No eye , and wounded he focused on saving who he could .
Imagine this picture .

( KC took me in with his 4 sons ) This was written by his son Kris , and has been my best friend since 1st year of HS . Over 30 years as friends .

1-11-1945- 11-29-2018
My father, Kitchell Collins Compton.
He liked to go by "K.C." , his grandchildren affectionately called him "cowboy papa" from when he was working on the big cattle ranch in Wyoming.
K.C. was a good hearted man who would give you the shirt off his back or the food from his plate.
He would help people that were down on there luck even when he didn't have much to give.
K.C. would make you laugh almost to tears with his humorous story's and adventures.
While raising all 4 of us boys Kris, Brian, John, Steven. My father worked at US Steel Mill for 11 years before they closed the plant.
He worked as a courier for a bank and as a baker in a pie and cake shop, head cook at a BBQ shop, a head cook on a big cattle ranch in Wyoming and many other jobs. He always told me to take pride in your work, what ever you are doing , learn and do the best you can at all you do.
My father is a decorated Vietnam Veteran. Bronze star, and purple heart.
K.C. volunteered at 18 and was in battle by 19, he was combat medic on the front lines with only a medics bag and a pistol, s
aving men's lives in the midst of death and destruction happening all around him, yet he did his job with courage and self sacrifice.
He gave a lot of him self for this country and for his brothers in arms. He didn't let losing an eye and witnessing the horrors of war stop him from trying to better himself. He also pursued a college education that provided an opportunity to become an educator.
My father wasn't a perfect man, he did the best at raising all four of us boys pretty much on his own. He gave me the love for the outdoors and natute. My father taught me to be a woodsman and a steward of the land and it's wildlife, he also taught me self reliance, courage and strength to stand up and be my own man. I think he did that for my brothers as well.
This world has lost a great man and a loving father. I know he is in a better place and his suffering is over, but I still miss him and will always love him.
To my father K.C. Compton,
Love Kris
Damn Bryan, I am sorry for your friend Kris and also your loss. KC sounded nothing short of amazing. That just goes to show, we are capable of so much in this life time. Here was a man who took years and years working diff jobs to find what he loved only to find his true calling of educating. Spreading his knowledge and experience.
I look forward to reading this back story later!

Last edited:
Death always hurts for the family and friends of the departed, I've just lost my ex wife and also a good friend of 40 years both in a week, it's the sense of loss that is felt and seeing the suffering before passing that hurts the most.
My condolences Bryan, he sounded like a good man.

How I met Kris , and his father KC was a interesting chain of events . Kris was Junior in high school , and I was a freshman all of 4 feet 9" and maybe 90 pounds . Kris 6' 1" at time , and about 160 . We lived in the same neighborhood , and rode the same bus home . His younger brother Brian was in same grade as me . I knew Brian , but we were not friends . The two of us had actually had a fight earlier that year . Well since I was a little fish ( real little ) people sometimes jacked with me on the bus . This day I was getting slapped in the back of the head or paper thrown at me . I had enough jumped up , and turned around to yell next person gets it !
I sat back down MAD ( background laughing kids ) then pop in my head again . I jumped around to see Kris SMILING so big . What did little me do ? I reached back , and knocked the poop out of Kris ! Silent Bus to follow , and then the comments . Kris stood up , and said im going to kick your ass when we get off the bus .
We had the same stop , and for the next 20 minutes I thought how this would play out . Never a coward I stepped off the bus 1st dropped my book bag , and turned around to the entire bus getting off at that Stop Kris was near last . I'm thinking this is not good inside , but be ready . Kris walked past me like I didnt exist.
I yelled at him ( what aren't you going to fight ?) He said I wasn't worth it . This was on a Friday , and it produced a lot of thinking for me . Saturday I walked over to his home , and knocked at the door . Brian answered shocked thinking I was there for him . Asked for Kris who came to the door with a unhappy look on his bruised face . What do you want was his question . I apologize to him , and asked if we could be friends . 30 years later the amount of trouble the two of us have been in together is just to much . We weren't bad kids like that . Hunting , and fishing together all our lives . Living together between jobs or girl friends . Crashed a few cars , and once had a game warden not to happy with us taking birds out with BB guns .

After the above my father remarried , and forgot about me ( new wife new life ) . My mother was in severe depression , and had no clue of me or the world at this time. With no guidance or attention I became a troubled young teen . Eventually my dad , and mom didn't want me around . With no place to go KC took me in . Feed me , and tried his best to steer me in a different direction . The five of us drove him mad sometimes i'm sure of . KC told me about the war in depths most Veterans do not want to discuss . I never knew till today he was a bronze star recipient.
I only knew of the purple heart . He took no credit , and wished he could of done more . KC taught me , and the other boys archery , animal cleaning after the hunt , fishing , boy scouts assistance with merit badges . Honoring the dead or fallen as he mowed a cemetery , and often had us assist in the job . Let us drive his old truck even though it was the Only vehicle he had .
I told my real mother , and father KC passed . My mom knew him , and when she was better often saw KC for coffee or conversation . My Father however lived on the next street . Always ( in my view ) looked down on KC due to his home / living conditions was not of the cleanist . ( just a dirty home ) What do you expect with 5 boys , and later grandchildren ?
My dad saw KC in a local store last month . KC approached him to ask how I was doing . That struck a cord in me , as he knows my dad is kind of a ass about when I went to live with him . I have not seen KC in about 7 years . Makes me wish I had stopped in sometimes over the years , but we all grew up , and moved all over the country . Only Brian his son , and I ( also named Bryan ) lived close .

Well that is the story of how I got to know KC Compton .

Thanks for sharing your story Bryan, what a guy KC was !
You were blessed to have him as a step Dad, your own Mom and Dad didn't or couldn't step up to the role and responsiblity to love and take care of you, so he did.
Well, he's walking with his head held high, hand in hand with his Maker I'm thinking.
And you can walk tall too, (no pun intended) great story about the fight, sounds like you have a lot of courage. Nice one. :thumbsup:

How I met Kris , and his father KC was a interesting chain of events . Kris was Junior in high school , and I was a freshman all of 4 feet 9" and maybe 90 pounds . Kris 6' 1" at time , and about 160 . We lived in the same neighborhood , and rode the same bus home . His younger brother Brian was in same grade as me . I knew Brian , but we were not friends . The two of us had actually had a fight earlier that year . Well since I was a little fish ( real little ) people sometimes jacked with me on the bus . This day I was getting slapped in the back of the head or paper thrown at me . I had enough jumped up , and turned around to yell next person gets it !
I sat back down MAD ( background laughing kids ) then pop in my head again . I jumped around to see Kris SMILING so big . What did little me do ? I reached back , and knocked the poop out of Kris ! Silent Bus to follow , and then the comments . Kris stood up , and said im going to kick your ass when we get off the bus .
We had the same stop , and for the next 20 minutes I thought how this would play out . Never a coward I stepped off the bus 1st dropped my book bag , and turned around to the entire bus getting off at that Stop Kris was near last . I'm thinking this is not good inside , but be ready . Kris walked past me like I didnt exist.
I yelled at him ( what aren't you going to fight ?) He said I wasn't worth it . This was on a Friday , and it produced a lot of thinking for me . Saturday I walked over to his home , and knocked at the door . Brian answered shocked thinking I was there for him . Asked for Kris who came to the door with a unhappy look on his bruised face . What do you want was his question . I apologize to him , and asked if we could be friends . 30 years later the amount of trouble the two of us have been in together is just to much . We weren't bad kids like that . Hunting , and fishing together all our lives . Living together between jobs or girl friends . Crashed a few cars , and once had a game warden not to happy with us taking birds out with BB guns .

After the above my father remarried , and forgot about me ( new wife new life ) . My mother was in severe depression , and had no clue of me or the world at this time. With no guidance or attention I became a troubled young teen . Eventually my dad , and mom didn't want me around . With no place to go KC took me in . Feed me , and tried his best to steer me in a different direction . The five of us drove him mad sometimes i'm sure of . KC told me about the war in depths most Veterans do not want to discuss . I never knew till today he was a bronze star recipient.
I only knew of the purple heart . He took no credit , and wished he could of done more . KC taught me , and the other boys archery , animal cleaning after the hunt , fishing , boy scouts assistance with merit badges . Honoring the dead or fallen as he mowed a cemetery , and often had us assist in the job . Let us drive his old truck even though it was the Only vehicle he had .
I told my real mother , and father KC passed . My mom knew him , and when she was better often saw KC for coffee or conversation . My Father however lived on the next street . Always ( in my view ) looked down on KC due to his home / living conditions was not of the cleanist . ( just a dirty home ) What do you expect with 5 boys , and later grandchildren ?
My dad saw KC in a local store last month . KC approached him to ask how I was doing . That struck a cord in me , as he knows my dad is kind of a ass about when I went to live with him . I have not seen KC in about 7 years . Makes me wish I had stopped in sometimes over the years , but we all grew up , and moved all over the country . Only Brian his son , and I ( also named Bryan ) lived close .

Well that is the story of how I got to know KC Compton .
I must say I admire your confidence even back in your freshman days you didn’t take any poop. That is really something how this man had the compassion and love for you in his heart that he would ask your father about you even knowing the circumstances and how your father felt and probably still does feel to an extent. It’s scary as our elders age and we grow how quickly life can change. I lost my grandmother last year and I have still not fully recovered. Even now hearing of this man who looked out for you, tears well up in my eyes. My grandma much like KC took me in when my parents (my mom and step dad) we’re having a rough time and eventually divorced. I have anxiety trouble and living in the house with all that was going on. I moved out of my grandmas only 3 years ago and went from seeing her day in and day out to seeing her once a month and sometimes even 2 and the last time I got to see her was for my 30th birthday. I just wish I knew that it would be the last time. I keep the birthday card by my bedside. I so badly just wish I got to spend more time with her so I get what you mean when you say in those 7 years you had wished you stopped in. You are a good man Bryan with a huge heart! And as kiwi said a lot of courage!

A screen shot of KC off FB. Kris put these up today.
Screenshot_20181201-201545.png

Well, KC stepped in as a man to raise you into a man, that is the dream and goal of all parents. I strongly believe that immortality is the preservation of a memory of a person and KC will be immortalized not only by you but by all those people who's life he touched.

I know nothing about you but what I read in this site but I will tell you, I read you are a well rounded, successful, intelligent man who in turn raised a son in your image.

KC completed his task through you. He is looking down smiling even now.

Well, KC stepped in as a man to raise you into a man, that is the dream and goal of all parents. I strongly believe that immortality is the preservation of a memory of a person and KC will be immortalized not only by you but by all those people who's life he touched.

I know nothing about you but what I read in this site but I will tell you, I read you are a well rounded, successful, intelligent man who in turn raised a son in your image.

KC completed his task through you. He is looking down smiling even now.
Well said.

SOrry to hear of this Bryan. Thank you however for sharing his story. Loss is never welcomed or easy. My prayers for you, your family and his.

Reactions: c10
A screen shot of KC off FB. Kris put these up today. View attachment 1589490
Very powerful and hits home. I am sorry for the families lost & that includes u Bryan. But proud that this man though not perfect like many of us was able to provide & guide the 5 of you imparting those hard lessons, how to live and what is important no matter the cost.

No one is perfect but we all try our best. Sounds like his best is pretty good judging from the results. My sympathies to you and all his family. May he be remembered that he may never be truly gone

Back