World Record SCUBA dive...

Atleast he wasn't watching "Trying to educate blondes" or sumethin...he would have drowned from laughing!!!!
Ha ha ha...I only stick around for this because it's free...
laugh.gif

**adding GSXRFANN to my LONG list of guys to beat up**

Finally a post that my girlfriend will want to read on the hayabusa board. She loves diving, but not bikes .

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>THE END ! ! !</span></span>
mad.gif

Well, it's over...at 6:24pm last night, he came out of the water after about 29 hours.

The official reason was due to the weather conditions at the surface and the water temp below the surface. We had some pretty severe weather rolling through with severe thunderstorms, and tornado watches. I wasn't there when he came out. I was at home getting my 4 hours of sleep before my shift started at 11:00pm. My wife woke me up when she got home from work and said, "Keep sleeping...he's out".

I was like...WTF?

I'm a little more than disappointed. I guess the Dive Master and the Event Coordinator felt as though it wasn't too safe with all of the lightening strikes nearby. I thought we had a contingency plan for severe weather, but I guess someone forgot about that. The water temp, although at 81 degrees, still draws down your core body temperature over time, and Rich was starting to get cold also. This makes more sense due to the fact that he came out of his drysuit after only 5 hours in the water. I knew the temp was going to be one of the deciding factors for ending the record attempt.

I want to thank everybody for their support
cool.gif

It was mentioned that he might try it again, but I doubt that I'll be part of the team next time. I spent way too much time building the platform and training, only to have it end due to some bad weather. I don't think anyone on the team has ever had to do feild exercises in the military, no matter what the weather conditions, and just see your mission through to the end...no matter what it takes.

On a more positive note...I did get some needed sleep last night
laugh.gif

Well, safety first...Rich will hopefully try again...

Sorry Jim, but isn't sleep is a good thing!
tounge.gif

how is he going to eat or drink underwater?

what about taking a dump
rock.gif
laugh.gif

Just looked at this thread again and as soon as I saw he went to the wet suit that early, I knew it was over. There is no way to make that time span in a neoprene farmer john. That sucks.
wink.gif

Just looked at this thread again and as soon as I saw he went to the wet suit that early, I knew it was over. There is no way to make that time span in a neoprene farmer john. That sucks.
wink.gif
Yup, we all knew it was too dam soon, but we couldn't change his mind. Once the zipper was open, there was no turning back.

If you guys do monthly training, you should have someone go from a drysuit to a wetsuit underwater just to see how much fun that whole process is. Make sure you have a few divers to help, and make dam sure that the person switching is very comfortable with regulator exchanges and mask removals. This is needed to get the neck seal over the head.

It would be comical if nothing else
laugh.gif
The first time we tried it in training, I thought we were going to drown him.

If he does have to take a dump, then the dry suit comes off, he does his business, wipes HIS OWN azz, and then we put the wetsuit on him.
Please please please time this so it occurs when the Today show is live. They need the ratings.

How big is the support crew for the seven days?

whoops...just read the rest of the thread. sorry the plan didn't go through....

<!--EDIT|shortBoarder
Reason for Edit: None given...|1122442369 -->

Some NEW news...

We finally identified what happened to the drysuit that caused it to leak.

Rich felt like the neck seal was too tight, so... against all other advice from both the manufacturer, and his equipment manager, the neck seal was trimmed. The equipment manager performed the trim at Rich's direction because if he didn't then Rich would have thrown a fit about it (worse than he was already), and then had a reason to abort the dive.

Rich made the decision to have the neck seal trimmed which is what started the downhill spiral of events that lead to the cancellation of the dive. The weather was mearly a convienient way out I believe.
mad.gif

It's all over now, so there's nothing we can do, but it's dam disappointing to see all of the people involved lose the time they/we had invested in this. I couldn't even begin to add up the hours for all the people.

Back