Ocean diving equipment...couple of questions...

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
I'm cleaning out the attic and ran across a bunch of dive equipment that my ex stored a decade ago...includes tanks, regulator/vest, fins (the heavy/pricey ones), a weight belt, and a dive suit.

Question is - do tanks/regulators have a shelf-life? Are they any good? I'm not looking to sell them; I'll give 'em all away to someone that can come pick 'em up. I was just going to toss them, but then thought perhaps they're still good and someone can take 'em off my hands.

Any divers here have insight?

Thanks!
M -

I'm sure you can rebuild the tanks. Suit should be ok with visual inspection, weights are weights. Maybe a riding suit for Aquaman?

The tanks have maintenance that should be performed every so many years and they have to be 1000% free of rust on the inside. Were they stored with air in them or empty? Who ever gets them would be wise to have them visually checked inside/out before diving them, depending on age they could need pressure testing as well. The valve probably needs some new o-rings if nothing else.

The fins/mask/suit/weights are more just visual checks. The regulator(s) are the tricky part. While the hard parts do not have a shelf life technically, the connective tissue bits do. The o-rings and tubing in them needs to be checked out really well and under pressure/under water. There are actually annual checks for o-rings in the devices that should be done before someone dives with them. If its just a matter of swapping some o-rings then its likely worth their time/effort. If the hoses are all dry rotted or cracking its going to cost a bit more unless they can do the work themselves. The work isn't hard but you have to know what you are doing.

What brand are they? I know you said you were going to give them away but you could be handing someone a few hundred dollars so you might wanna rethink it....unless your powerball ticket was the right one last night :laugh:

I'd have to get back in the attic to see the brand zuk...I brought down all of the other stuff (suit, fins, regulator and weights) thinking I was just going to toss 'em. The tanks are just too heavy for me today; threw my back out last week...

As for the maintenance/storage - no clue about their history, just know that my ex stuffed 'em in the attic and they've been there every since. I know they've not been messed with/maintained since they were put there, probably a decade ago...

I don't care what they're worth; they're either being tossed or given away :) Brings up another question - if I toss the tanks, is that even legal? Is there some proper way to dispose of 'em?

I'm sure you can rebuild the tanks. Suit should be ok with visual inspection, weights are weights. Maybe a riding suit for Aquaman?

I actually left word for Dino on FB too; he may know someone that would at least want to take a look at 'em. He's in Va Beach...

call a local dive shop and donate it to their class equipment, they can do anything they might need :thumbsup:

Brands, pics, you have regulators and octopuses'?
BC/buoyancy compensator or the vest you wear?
Masks and fins? Tanks, size? Pics?

All of needs to be properly inspected. Tanks need to be scoped to see if there's rust inside, then pressure tested safely. All hoses carefully inspected for cracks and flexibility. Regulators need be disassembled and inspected, diaphragms and silicone valves changed.
Masks and fins pretty much last a long time no worries.
I could definitely use it but shipping would be cost prohibitive.

Be careful and do your research though. Many brands and their equipment while old and gnarly looking can be highly desirable and collectible....ie....valuable! Lots of stuff used to be made in USA and other counties by hand and are extremely nice stuff whereas same company now imports from china. So be careful what you give away. The regulators and vests would be the rare stuff if it is. Tanks are tanks.

Thanks for the info Blanca, but quite honestly, they mean zero to me...it's a long story, but the short version is that my ex got them from his current girlfriend's Dad years ago (yep, the gal he's with has been in our lives for far too long LOL). I know my ex would LOVE nothing more than to get this stuff back and sell it because he's all about making a buck, but he left it here for me to clean up like so many other things. I'm not about $$ and I don't dive. They're in my attic taking up valuable space; I nearly tossed most of the stuff today then it hit me that perhaps someone could use it. For all I know, it's all worthless and no good, OR it's worth some $$. Doesn't matter to me; I get more satisfaction giving it away and that would just tick the ex off to no end if he ever finds out :rofl:

I heard back from Dino; he's interested...sending him pics tomorrow to see if it's even worth his trip here to get the stuff... :)

The tanks have maintenance that should be performed every so many years and they have to be 1000% free of rust on the inside. Were they stored with air in them or empty? Who ever gets them would be wise to have them visually checked inside/out before diving them, depending on age they could need pressure testing as well. The valve probably needs some new o-rings if nothing else.

The fins/mask/suit/weights are more just visual checks. The regulator(s) are the tricky part. While the hard parts do not have a shelf life technically, the connective tissue bits do. The o-rings and tubing in them needs to be checked out really well and under pressure/under water. There are actually annual checks for o-rings in the devices that should be done before someone dives with them. If its just a matter of swapping some o-rings then its likely worth their time/effort. If the hoses are all dry rotted or cracking its going to cost a bit more unless they can do the work themselves. The work isn't hard but you have to know what you are doing.

What brand are they? I know you said you were going to give them away but you could be handing someone a few hundred dollars so you might wanna rethink it....unless your powerball ticket was the right one last night :laugh:

Thanks for the opinion.

Back