NC loses a Scuba legend

el stumpo

Registered
I know I haven't been on the board as much, but it's because of a new job and reviving an old passion - scuba diving.

Back in July, I finally had a chance to dive the U-352. A WWII German U-boat sunk off the NC Coast.

The captain of the boat was George Purifoy. Owner of Olympus Dive Shop and one of the men who found and identified the U-352. He was very personable and I liked the guy. Before I left that day, I was able to get a picture with him.

Sadly on 9/14, he passed away while doing what he loved - diving. Article

RIP

That's sad, a few years back a diving buddy and I were going to dive a U-boat. Charter took off out of Moorehead City, NC. My buddy went, but I got stuck at work, a penetration diver in their group went in and got some brass items.

I dont recall if this was the same U-boat or not, there are a couple down there If I recall correctly.

Robot - this is most likely the same one. The Olympus Dive Shop is out of Moorehead City and U-352 is the most popular. There are two other U-boats but they are farther out and I believe deeper.

If you're ever up this and want to go diving let me know, I'm heading out Sunday to the Sherman. :)

Robot - this is most likely the same one. The Olympus Dive Shop is out of Moorehead City and U-352 is the most popular. There are two other U-boats but they are farther out and I believe deeper.

If you're ever up this and want to go diving let me know, I'm heading out Sunday to the Sherman. :)

Brings back good memories, currently not doing any diving :unhappy: too many other hobbies, and a 7 month old son. When I get back in I think I would like to check out rebreathers, my new boss is a former SEAL,(Seal Team 8), Hopefully he will get me motivated soon.

Ill keep that in mind, thanks for the invite. I met you and Rock at the spring bash. Good to hear from you. Thanks, John

R.I.P.

At least he died doing what he loved.

I love diving, it's such a relaxing thing to be away from the world sometimes.

Sorry about the loss...

Great sport however.... never did any wreck diving but sounds fun..

I'm on the left, George is on the right.....

Life is short.. enjoy it...

Yep... that's a Hayabusa.org Shirt... :thumbsup:

george and I.jpg

Last edited:
RIP

I havent scuba dived since I was a teenager. I'd love to have the time to start again.

Back