wiring experts ???

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
My speedo stopped functioning the other day.

I finally got some other nasty shid squared away , an' got out to the shop today.

Traced back from my spped sensor...
   good ground...
    but no power...

good ground...
    but no power at the first conection...

no power at the back of the speedo
   is the speedo toast....?

tired an' pi$$ed off at this point...
   any idea's ?

<!--EDIT|rubbersidedown
Reason for Edit: None given...|1111200440 -->

update...

I've spliced in to the speed sensor, givin' it power there, and have made the speedo work again.

is my loss of power/broken connection within' the speedo?

I'm guessing the circuits within' the speedo get their power via the orange wire or another,and that this supplies juice to all of the combo(speedo,tach,etc) and from this power supply the speed sensor receives its power.

so... I'm guessing I have failed circuit within' the combo guage.

hints,idea's, full on flames.....
AAAssjani.gif

hav an' electified 1....RSD

If there are no better ideas, it might be time to pull the cluster and start back tracking with a meter.

Cheers
Ross

I had the same problem, it was the connection in the back of the cluster, dirty. cleaned it, works fine. Be sure to clean both parts: the harness end and the cluster end.

If there are no better ideas, it might be time to pull the cluster and start back tracking with a meter.

Cheers
Ross
cluster came off last night, according to the schematic everything thats supposed to be hot (+) at the cluster connection is.

guns.gif
die Busa die

Rubbah's Busa

Hopefully its your speed sensor, since pacman got ya one in da mail...
dont think it is, I sent Pac a note, told him to hold off.

Does anybody know how many, and which wires should be hot at the back of the cluster?

I have power at the orange, the gray, the blue w/red tracer.

I'm assuming that I should also have juice at the black w/red tracer , as this is the wire that feeds the speed sensor at the counter shaft sprocket.

Should this wire be hot prior to the cluster, or does it draw its power FROM the cluster?

class? anyone? class? Bueller?

damn...wish I knew somethin that could help, bro.

I can't seem tot grasp electrical stuff....mebbe a ping ot the Cheeseman?

That sucks man, they cost some $$$... Then it your odo will read what kms the previous bike had on it.

Or are you going to try to repair the cluster you have? I have no idea on that one.

This may sound like a half assed fix, but in another post I think Rubba said he wired the red/black hot and everything worked.
Just an idea but if the above is correct why not re route the red/black to another 12v line thats keyed to the ign. Like headlight, fuel pump ect. The sensor is not really going to load anything down much.
I would try this before replacing anything if it were my bike, but your bike: your choice.
Can't guarantee against further dammage.

Cheers
Ross

Back