Windshield removal

rc51ny

Donating Member
Registered
Going to replace my stock screen with a Zero Gravity double Bubble. Do the cockpit trim panels need to be removed? Are there nuts behind the windshield screws? Can't seem to find the answer anywhere. I just don't want to take the screws out and lose a nut!!!!!thanks

Just remove the two screws....the nuts stay in a little rubber grommet....put a little electrical tape on the edge of the screen that fits into the fairing...this will keep it from vibrating and making any noise
wink.gif

there are two plastic pins on the inside of the windscreen at the top part of the "trim panels" pull those out by gently pushing in on the center of them, then you can pull the plastic pins out. on the outside of the fairing there are two allen head bolts, they are threaded into whats looks like a piece of rubber that goes through the fairing and windscreen. When you tighten the allen head bolt the rubber piece gets "mushroomed" on the inside where you removed the plastic pin and that is what is holding it all together. Take those 2 allen head bolts out next to the mirrors and the windscreen should pull straight out towards the tank. Hope that makes since
wink.gif
blush.gif

Hey BA--

thanks for the info. I just wanted to be sure before I F'd it up.

Well---I did it and it looks great. Pull off and put on went great. Thanks for your advise! Now i wonder if I can "EBAY" the originial screen?

wont get much for the windscreen on ebay at all, i'd keep it around just in case....fellow board memeber may want/need one some time...

Do you have to remove the inner panels? What do the windshield screws screw into, will the nuts fall down inside or are they attached to something?

Thanks...

(lifguardct @ Oct. 03 2006,12:13) Do you have to remove the inner panels? What do the windshield screws screw into, will the nuts fall down inside or are they attached to something?

Thanks...
No you dont have to remove the inner panels. Just pop the top push-pin on each inner panel. This will help you in removing the windshield. Once you unscrew the two allen head bolts, push the rubber grommet thru the fairing, they will stay in the windshield...pull windshield up and away from fairing. Remove the windshield nuts and install on new windshield. Tape the edge, as mentioned above then slide into position. Pull the rubber grommet thru fairing and insert and tighten screws.

Back