Windshield Replacement

rlachermeier

Registered
<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'></span>When I went to install my ZG Double Bubble I found it easy to remove the stock windshield but then after removing the rubber grommets from the original windshield and placing them in the ZG I thought to my self how am I going to get the rubber grommets back through the fairing. And that's when I said to myself "How would Red Green do this". And of course I found Duct Tape and the rest is history......

Step 1 - Remove the two inside plastic pop-out fasteners. I use a center punch but a small screwdriver will do.
IMG_1218mod.jpg

IMG_1216.jpg

Step 2 - Remove the two screws located by the mirrors. I used a T-15 star socket due to the little amount of space between the screw and the mirror.
IMG_1217.jpg

Step 3 - Push the rubber grommets through the fairing and pull the windshield off. Be careful to pull back the plastic inside covers so that the rubber grommets will slide by.
IMG_1213.jpg

Step 4 - Take the rubber grommets out of the old screen and place them in the new one. Here's where Red Green comes in. The rubber grommets will not want to go back through the holes in the fairing so take a piece of duct tape split it about half way and take the split and slide it around the rubber grommet just below the part that needs to slide through the fairing.Then twist the tape up into a cone shape around the head of the grommet. Then poke the tape through the hole and pull gently from the outside.
IMG_1215.jpg

IMG_1217mod.jpg

IMG_1214.jpg

Hopefully the extra height will make those trips to work here in WI a little warmer.
IMG_1212.jpg

i pushed mine through after the screen is in place.

First of all our mirrors are break away so you can just bend it back out of the way. Second a little spit and the grommets will slide right in. Good write and good pictures tho.

PS. for the those of you whiners the are squeamish about the spit, a little water works too.

Don

(usn04limited @ Oct. 07 2006,16:45) First of all our mirrors are break away so you can just bend it back out of the way. Second a little spit and the grommets will slide right in. Good write and good pictures tho.

PS. for the those of you whiners the are squeamish about the spit, a little water works too.

Don
I think Red Green's second choice would be spit but you have to support the duct tape producers or where would we be without that miracle product.

(usn04limited @ Oct. 07 2006,16:45) First of all our mirrors are break away so you can just bend it back out of the way.  Second a little spit and the grommets will slide right in.  Good write and good pictures tho.

Don
+1 just lick'em and twist'em in
wink.gif

Back