Wind noise is ruining my fun

weeesss

Registered
I have switched from the stock screen, to a Puig double bubble, and back to Zero Gravity screen that is similar to stock. I continuously moan about the wind noise but deal with it. Today, I took my wife's SV650 for a spin. I was amazed how clearly i could hear my Sena BT headset. It was much more pleasant noisewise, doing 80 on hers vs 60 on my 08 Busa, and she has no fairing at all.

What can you recommend aside from switching bikes? I have an RF1100 helmet, and stand 6' tall.

I have to do something as most of my riding is highway.

The RF-1100 is a great helmet, but it's not a particularly quiet one. Earplugs are the way to go.

Switch to an Arai.. I installed my Sena in my RF-1100 and will be ripping it out and installing it in my Arai. Night and day noise differences..

The Shoei is hands down the loudest helmet I've ever owned. My HJC is even far quieter.

But with turbulence and ear plugs, which I used to wear, I could not hear my music or talk with my friend via headset. I tried. I was looking for some screen that will push the wind wash over my helmet.

I was already researching either the RX-Q but don't want to spend the cash and still be unhappy.

Which Arai did you get, and what screen are you using?

I have an older Arai (Profile) and have the Puig Double bubble..

Its not silent by any means, but def quieter by a long shot than my RF1100..

I am also looking to get a new screen. Thinking the MRA screen or a Touring Zero Gravity..

The MRA Vario screen is great for touring. I have had one two years and am very happy with it.

My Arai Corsair V is MUCH quieter than my RF-1100. That's one way to go.

I guess I have to break down and get a new helmet. This one served me for 3 years. Maybe the combination of a better helmet and a touring screen would do it.

wow, i would find music whist riding the busa, distracting to say the least.
i would end up in the nearest ditch:laugh:

as already mentioned, my 20 cent solution to make ANY helmet NOT noisy

View attachment 1593333

Not really an option when trying to use communicators.. They work, but if that was the case, he'd just stick to his wind noise. LOL

wow, i would find music whist riding the busa, distracting to say the least.
i would end up in the nearest ditch:laugh:

Been listening to music every ride since the beginning of time, can't ride without. :laugh:

wow, i would find music whist riding the busa, distracting to say the least. i would end up in the nearest ditch:laugh:

same here.......PERSONALLY choose not to get distracted by music, phone call, etc. because knowing myself, I need all my attention/focus when out riding.

Not really an option when trying to use communicators.

I also OPTED not to have one, same reason as above. So for me...ear plugs all the time, everytime (already deaf in my right ear from playing with firecrackers as a kid).

My Arai Corsair V is MUCH quieter than my RF-1100. That's one way to go.

Funny you should say that because the Corsair V was not designed to be quiet at all. It's probably a better fitting helmet around your jaw and neck(below your ears), so it's "sealing" better than the Shoei

I am not ditching the Sena, but I have been thinking, and it is probably smarter to try and reduce the wind buffeting prior to upgrading to a new helmet. Someone recommended Helibars and MRA touring screen. I do find that when I pop my head up over the screen it is better.

Anyone done these upgrades?

Here is an easy solution. I added isolating ear buds to my chatterbox and that solved the problem. Better music and quiet, especially wind. On long rides the music really helps me keep focused. Most headsets use ear speakers which means you either have to have them really loud so you can hear over the ear plugs or let the wind damage your hearing. They all use ear speakers because of the potential liability of isolating earphones even though the speaker concept is really kind of silly.

Best way to go is AutoCom or something similar. I actually tried taping the visor on my Shoei and it was super quiet but that was a major hassle when riding especially the fog. On a sport bike the "bubble" is right at the front of the tank and it's very small no matter what sheild you get. Touring bikes take the wind up over the rider and have a pretty large "bubble" that you can actually ride in comfortably.

The guy who develops a comfortable visor that is quiet, doesn't fog, allows air into the helmet without lowing it right into your eyes & reacts to sunlight is going to be rich$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

I did buy the Sena mount that allows use of ear buds. Worked fine, but was kind of cumbersome with the buds popping out of my ears. Maybe I needed better fitting buds, but I stopped using it when I broke the earphone jack on the mount.

I guess it would be cheaper spending $40 on a new mount but I need some good fitting buds. Suggestions?

Klipsch S4A. ($99) These are great for pop/rock and isolate pretty good. Try all the different sized ear pieces to see which fits best. Turns out the small ones work for me! This is my first choice set currently.
Klipsch Image S4A In-Ear Stereo Headset for Android 1013812 B&H

The Er6’s are awesome too. Very natural sound and they really isolate better than the Klipschs. I do like the volume you get from the Klipschs though. Problem is trying to find a set!
Etymotic Research, Inc. - ER•6i Isolator Earphones

Soul by Ludacris. ($99) These surprised me. They are natural and very balanced. Great for jazz/pop. I was expecting booming bass like Dre’s but nope – real good sound. They also have huge wires, which really is a plus as this seems to be the number one reason I kill off a set – broken wires. Only problem is they extend directly out from the ears, so they won’t fit in all helmets. But I wear these in the office, they’re really that good.
Etymotic Research, Inc. - ER•6i Isolator Earphones

iSpark by Koss. ($30) These are pretty good for cheap ear buds. I picked them up while on the road and my Er6’s broke a wire (caught in zipper again!) I liked them so much I kept them for over a month before going to the Klipschs.
iSpark In-Ear Headphones - earbuds & in-ear headphones - headphones - products - koss headphones

I also tried Dre's earbuds and didn't like them at all. The Bose are good but they hurt my ear in the helmet. Sound and isolation on the bose was really good though. These may seem expensive but it really takes a well made set to isolate sound and sound good while being compact enough to fit in a helmet without pinching. With isolating earbuds you will have to adjust them at gas stops, they have to be in your ear properly to work. Get everything right though and your riding experience will be a lot better.

BTW: there are a lot more choices out there and some cheaper ones I haven't tried.

For me the JVC Marshmallow's work very well. They have been the only ear buds so far that stay in my ears when putting on the helmet!! (and stay in)

Back