Why not use a Seal team?

I will leave work early and go get him. Don't worry guys, I play Call of Duty a lot and know exactly what to do. :whistle:

I think at this point they are just looking for an opening to get the captain out safely. And I would put money on the SEALs being able to get him out unharmed if that's they way they choose to do it.

I find it funny that the other pirate ships are coming to "reinforce". The CWIS gun the Mr. B posted fires at a ridiculous rate of about 4500 rounds per minute. But that is the least of the pirate ships worries. It's the 5 inch gun or the Harpoon missiles they need to worry about. Those sink stupid ships.

I dunno jeff, ol' r2d2 with a hardon will most definately put a hurtin' on boat, although they are primarily for air / anti missle defense, but what's the fun in using stuff for the purpose it was intended for?

I dunno jeff, ol' r2d2 with a hardon will most definately put a hurtin' on boat, although they are primarily for air / anti missle defense, but what's the fun in using stuff for the purpose it was intended for?
I don't disagree with it putting a hurt on a ship. But they don't use it for that :whistle: Especially if they are dealing with something they can hit with a missile!

Why put a hole in it when you can blow it to pieces! :laugh:

and I had to laugh. I hadn't heard it called r2d2 with a hardon since the boat :beerchug:

Come from under the boat with a small blast watch it sink and go in and save the cap...simple to me but im sure its hard for the people who have all this stuff at their hands oh well...spend millions on fuel and man power watching these a-holes float around town

Just give them some fair to good quality counterfiet American currency, place a homing device in the money and get the man released . ???

As soon as they are about to hit the shores of Somalia with the booty, send in a missle, this shows them what good sports we are. :cheerleader:

Greedy people in desperate situations can easily be manipulated. :whistle:

So the people who work for our government should have already thought of this scenario and how to implement it. . :laugh:

I was thinking just have a SEAL go in with a rebreather and put some holes in the boat during the night. Then they will have to hold onto their AK's and drown or let them go and swim. Then it's easy pickins

Originally I thought the same thing, except maybe xc700 is referring to the U.S. ship's presence there in the first place. From what I've read, somebody's presence is needed there, piracy running rampant like it is....resolution 1838 addresses this but enforcement has not been monitored perhaps?

I can see that perspective...

Yes, a presence needs to be there as a deterrent. I doubt that any other nation has the incentive to handle such a task as willingly as the US.. Considering the high profile hijackings and large ransoms being paid by foreign governments, I have to wonder why they don't send more resources to form an effective coalition.

Yes, a presence needs to be there as a deterrent. I doubt that any other nation has the incentive to handle such a task as willingly as the US.. Considering the high profile hijackings and large ransoms being paid by foreign governments, I have to wonder why they don't send more resources to form an effective coalition.

Excellent question.

I was thinking just have a SEAL go in with a rebreather and put some holes in the boat during the night. Then they will have to hold onto their AK's and drown or let them go and swim. Then it's easy pickins

It's hard to sink a life boat by drilling a few holes in it.

cheers
ken

"the danger zone that sprawls across 1.1 million square miles"

Or as the guy in Armageddon said - it's a big-@$$ ocean... Probably better off training and arming crews...

It's hard to sink a life boat by drilling a few holes in it.

cheers
ken

You're right...

But if the seals have been watching their mythbuster, they should know that you're pretty safe underwater from even the largest of hand-held weapons... I would have 3-4 teams of two under that boat the whole time and the next time the Captain jumps over, pull him under, give him some air, and swim back to the ship. Then when they report in with the Captain, sayanora to the pirates. :D

The problem with the pirates is the fact that they are in a small boat and well armed. They can shoot their missle at an oil tanker and sink it from farther away than we can hit them. The navy boats there are actually just as vulnerable(remeber the Cole) as the unarmed tanker, but if they shoot at the boats the navy will spill a little bit of whoop a@@ on anyone remotely associated with the pirating. I think it would be best to blockade Somalia right at the beginning of international waters and light up anything that looks like a pirate vessel, if the navy makes a mistake just drop a couple of "throw away" missles overboard.

I was wondering why we couldn't put a fifty on the tankers until I learned about that. It is hard to repel a small boat with missles.

Last edited:
The problem with the pirates is the fact that they are in a small boat and well armed. They can shoot their missle at an oil tanker and sink it from farther away than we can hit them. The navy boats there are actually just as vulnerable(remeber the Cole) as the unarmed tanker, but if they shoot at the boats the navy will spill a little bit of whoop a@@ on anyone remotely associated with the pirating. I think it would be best to blockade Somalia right at the beginning of international waters and light up anything that looks like a pirate vessel, if the navy makes a mistake just drop a couple of "throw away" missles overboard.

I was wondering why we couldn't put a fifty on the tankers until I learned about that. It is hard to repel a small boat with missles.
They have RPG's (sort of a lame excuse for a missile) WE have missiles.. we also have a number of other pretty snazzy "blow ya up" things in our arsenal... I have no idea the range on an RPG but I doubt it can outreach even the lamest of our weaponry...

Seals come in under boat...ID captain.. use their "underwater capable" weapons on the remaining people and they are done...

They have RPG's (sort of a lame excuse for a missile) WE have missiles.. we also have a number of other pretty snazzy "blow ya up" things in our arsenal... I have no idea the range on an RPG but I doubt it can outreach even the lamest of our weaponry...

I was more referring to Stingers and what not. I was responding to people wanting to arm the tankers that are being taken. A Zodiac type boat against the CWIS or a Harpoon would definitely not stand a chance and the 3 miles of a Stinger would not be far enough for the pirates to be safe.

Back