Why I hate choppers (or thought I did)

Mr Bogus

Trouble Makers Inc.
Donating Member
Registered
Anyone else get the new CW mag today? they have a nice writeup on the Honda Fury... There was a paragraph in where John Burns has been converted from a pure "sport bike" rider to a "chopper" bum..

"I thought I did not like choppers. But maybe I was just unclear as to the cause and effect. The truth is I just don't like loud, obnoxious things that call attention to themselves and make me feel ridiculous by association"

He actually liked the bike but also called it what you would expect to ride at DisneyLand.. :laugh:

So guessing this must be a fairly civil, nice riding street bike.. anyone seen one in person ?
2010-Honda-Fury-5.jpg

Yes I did. Looked at it at the dealer Monday and today. Nice looking bike. Dealer would not let me take it for a ride though. Have ridden many choppers in my day. But being a Harley guy at heart, I like them.
Not for everyone. Randy you need a chopper. You would look like Paul Sr.:poke:

Looks like my wife would love that style, but not for me. The pipes look quiet and that is good because I am growing old and hate the loud thingys.
Long looking rake though and she might not like that feel.
Looking at it again it looks like a good Knockoff.
But that's just my opinion. If she was comfortable I would not hesitate to buy one.
Bubba

Yes I did. Looked at it at the dealer Monday and today. Nice looking bike. Dealer would not let me take it for a ride though. Have ridden many choppers in my day. But being a Harley guy at heart, I like them.
Not for everyone. Randy you need a chopper. You would look like Paul Sr.:poke:
:rofl: I had a Heritage Classic for a couple years and really did like cruising it.. When I moved to Indiana from AZ, the bike had to go.. I have considered buying another cruiser bike and this might be kind of fun.. (without all the work associated with a custom built bike)

Looks like my wife would love that style, but not for me. The pipes look quiet and that is good because I am growing old and hate the loud thingys.
Long looking rake though and she might not like that feel.
Looking at it again it looks like a good Knockoff.
But that's just my opinion. If she was comfortable I would not hesitate to buy one.
Bubba
I think more and more riders are getting harassed due to loud pipes. I also tend to ride for hours when I get on the bike so the noise does get old after a while... The bike also has clean lines and no clutter.. I like that part..

I suppose it's not the most terrible thing I've ever seen.

And as long as the steering geometry isn't so spectacularly defunct that it won't turn in less than three zip codes I suppose it couldn't possibly be worse than those fifty thousand dollar monstrosities that aging dentists and psychiatrists feel the need to blunder around parking lots on with their steam roller back tires and their forks stretched out to next Tuesday.

Yeah I've seen that. The news been out since last year. But the dealer just got it out recently. I'm dissapointed that Honda should have use the $$ for the XX rebirth.....
instead of making a chopper??

Yeah I've seen that. The news been out since last year. But the dealer just got it out recently. I'm dissapointed that Honda should have use the $$ for the XX rebirth.....
instead of making a chopper??
Heard a few guys comment on the XX but it is missing a market niche according to the guys I talked too.. On the track it is a pig (to heavy and something about the brake system drew fire too, this from guys at the track I talked with)

On the street, the Busa and 14 bully it.. (not sure how true any of this is)

They have one at or local dealer and it looks nice.

Sat on one at the dealer. I liked it alot. Is a bit overpriced but the big dogs are way over priced, so. After going to Panama City this past weekend, would be nice to see a chopper go down the road and still be able to hear after it was gone.:cheerleader:

People that drive choppers do so because it gets attention. I don't know anyone that drives one for comfort (and I know a couple.) With that said, who is going to buy a Honda chopper? That's like buying a motorcycle made by Chrysler.

Oh wait...... :laugh:

The truth is I just don't like loud, obnoxious things that call attention to themselves and make me feel ridiculous by association"

Geeezzzz...half of my friends fall into that category !! ???

People that drive choppers do so because it gets attention. I don't know anyone that drives one for comfort (and I know a couple.) With that said, who is going to buy a Honda chopper? That's like buying a motorcycle made by Chrysler.

Oh wait...... :laugh:
not sure I buy that... I have ridden a number of customs and they are most often really nice mechanical works.. tons of time and effort to make them look right.. Yes it is nice to have someone else appreciate the time, work and money involved but certainly not why I ride..

I ride for personal satisfaction whether a dirt bike, sport bike, scooter, cruiser or custom bike.. In fact I would say I get more satisfaction riding down an empty road than cruising through the middle of town without a doubt..

but you are probably right, many ride them for the "Look at me" factor (same with most any bike with loud pipes I guess)..

My guess is that this bike does fairly well even in a depressed market..

Back