Why Harley sells more bikes than anyone else.

As has been mentioned, Harley tends to focus on the customer and the lifestyle.

I can go to my local Harley shrine and they have a showroom full of bikes. I can get a cup of coffee, a donut, a hot dog, watch some TV, and maybe even get a massage with a happy ending. If I want a t-shirt, they have a million choices. I can get a coffee mug with a picture of my favorite model. There is some serious overhead in this place, but it's totally customer focused.

Contrast that with my local Suzuki dealer, and every other Japanese bike dealer I've ever been to. Well, you know what I mean. They don't seem as interested in me as a customer. If I want a Hayabusa t-shirt (which I REALLY DO!) I have to resort to eBay or some other outlet. Same for accessories. They don't stock anything. I can't even get a t-shirt that says SUZUKI, let alone a Hayabusa shirt and some cool upgrade piece.

I'm not pushing HD here, just an observation.

Heartily agree! Their marketing is ingenious. They may as well say "Come on in and drink the cool-aid". RUBBLLL RUBBBBLE Potato Potato aren't we cool! Very smart and effective. Then they sell you an overpriced bike, with overpriced accessories and expensive maintenance. Our local Harley dealer has cookouts every weekend, group rides, bands and are some of the nicest salespersons no matter what you ride. Looking forward to buying mine someday just for a two up cruiser to enjoy with the wife. When and if I do I will commit with eyes wide open though.

On another exhaust note. Remember when Harley Davidson tried to patent the "potato" sound of their bikes? I found that very comical.

Even if you make toilet paper, results like this in these times are very impressive: H-D News | Harley-Davidson USA | Harley-Davidson USA
not arguing with their marketing sales. its almost a sin to not own a Harley if ur not on a sport bike. but the Victory is just a better bike hands down. although the Ness edition for an extra $8 or $9k is laughable I must admit. especially since the paint is fugly.

I think for the most part people like that bad boy biker image and you wont see any HA's rolln around in Victory's.....:whistle:

not arguing with their marketing sales. its almost a sin to not own a Harley if ur not on a sport bike. but the Victory is just a better bike hands down. although the Ness edition for an extra $8 or $9k is laughable I must admit. especially since the paint is fugly.

I think for the most part people like that bad boy biker image and you wont see any HA's rolln around in Victory's.....:whistle:
Don't be so sure

Harleys are fun, once you learn how to ride em.:laugh:

Harley.jpg

Harley.jpg

I'm trying to revise my "Harley Hater" attitude. I blame it (maybe unfairly) on the DFW area HD riders who are incredibly obnoxious and have even been verbally nasty about my R6 and Vespa. I try to remember that they are a small sliver of the riders out there and if they don't like my Vespa or R6, well, it really isn't my problem and doesn't stop me from riding. Live and let live, right?

All that said, their marketing is genious. They're trading on a persona that came to be with James Dean and Easy Rider. The HD riders love them because they love them. They love all of the things some people hate about them. I can't abide the sound of them, but to a Harley Lover, it's better than angels singing. And I think they're ugly - but that's just my opinion. Harley Lovers love them because they're Harleys and HD tells them this is how they should sound and look.

And for a good 2-up bike, I love riding 2-up on the Busa with Dan. It really isn't uncomfortable unless you ride 700 miles in one day. For those long trips, we have the K1200 that has about as much luggage space as my car. If I were ever to go back to a cruiser, I'd be looking at a Moto Guzzi.

Harley has a killer marketing team and are very aggressive in their advertising. They are promoting a culture and bikes with a very long shelf life.

Back