Who sells the most bikes?

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
Some notes from the link below:

Harley sold 260,471 bikes last year world wide.

Above 250cc, Japan sold 372,591 bikes last year world wide.

Above 250cc, Japan produce most Yamaha, then Honda, then Suzuki and Kawasaki sits way bottom end of market.

Can't find the statistics, but I believe above 600cc, Harley sells more bikes than all the other manufacturers combined.

KTM sells most bikes out of Europe.

Sales in the US down over 50% last year, compared to 2005.

For the Harley haters, at least they seem to be taking care of their shareholders.

Motorcycle Sales Statistics - webBikeWorld

I think Indian will be taking a big bite out of Harley sales. Probably won't pull away the HD Diehards but if you put an Indian next to a comparable Harley the Indian is a much nicer bike so those who don't drink the Kool aid are likely to choose them.

Harley Davidson is clearly a marketing genius. No other reason why a bike that is so mechanically out of date could possibly sell so well.

It seems in most countries you can buy HD clothes and find a club that supports the brand...I agree that there are better bikes that cost less such as a Honda or Victory...HD just supports its following...I still think they are loud and slow...like a lazy boy chair with an engine (for the bigger bikes)...the rocker didn't take off but the deuce is cool

No mention of Hero motocorp, formally Hero Honda ?

Mostly smaller bikes but their production figures total Harley and a several
others put together.

As a producer of two wheeled motorcycles Hero should be by FAR the largest.

No mention of Hero motocorp, formally Hero Honda ?

Mostly smaller bikes but their production figures total Harley and a several
others put together.

As a producer of two wheeled motorcycles Hero should be by FAR the largest.

Biggest bike = 223cc. For numbers I look above 250cc, preferably 600cc and up but the latter is not well published. Below 250cc anything goes.

Interesting. I would think that the 600cc+ would be dominated by the sports bike riders!

-D

Problem may be most 600's are not technically 600's their 599cc so they may not even be counting the mass amount of "600's being sold" to truly get into the 600 class you pretty much have the Ninja 636, 650r and the Triumph 675. Otherwise the rest are under that 600cc counter. At least that would make sense for the lack of numbers. Also bike prices have almost doubled since 2000...a 600cc sport bike exe. GSXR600 was about $6999 in 2000, whats retail on a 2015 GSXR600 $10,999 MSRP now a days and with the millennial generation being 50% unemployed its no wonder bike sales are dropping as the new gen of bikers cant afford to buy them.

As a motorcycle enthusiast, I think most every bike has something to offer someone. I like Harleys as much as I like Zuks. I love old bikes as much as the new ones. I would love to own an Ultra Limited for touring but since the new Indian Roadmaster is on the scene I would probably choose it instead but I'd love to own both. If I had the money, my motorcycle garage would rival Jay Leno's. Unfortunately I'm not rich, just a middle class American and need to make critical choices on what I ride.

I agree with jch364, Harley has essentially created a giant motorcycle club with an expensive buy-in. If you go to a Harley dealer they are trained to accept all motorcyclists and dazzle them with the eye candy. Ours rings a big bell each time they close a deal on a bike and everyone in the store hears it. They create an atmosphere of acceptance and community and that's what sells bikes. Have not been to any other dealer that does that. They create a fierce brand loyalty that's hard to break. Most buyers are well-off and when their bike breaks they just drop it off and get it fixed. I know people who's whole opinion is if it aint a Harley it aint ****e. I feel bad for thos people.

Problem may be most 600's are not technically 600's their 599cc so they may not even be counting the mass amount of "600's being sold" to truly get into the 600 class you pretty much have the Ninja 636, 650r and the Triumph 675. Otherwise the rest are under that 600cc counter. At least that would make sense for the lack of numbers. Also bike prices have almost doubled since 2000...a 600cc sport bike exe. GSXR600 was about $6999 in 2000, whats retail on a 2015 GSXR600 $10,999 MSRP now a days and with the millennial generation being 50% unemployed its no wonder bike sales are dropping as the new gen of bikers cant afford to buy them.

It is also worth noting that Harley Davidson does not (I believe, but could certainly be wrong) have anything smaller than 600cc in their lineup; essentially, every bike that HD sells falls into the 'above 600cc' class allowing 100% of their sales to dominate it.

I am just glad that the US leads the market in something. Nice to see us on top in this area. Seems we prefer to just buy and consume than manufacture and sell in most categories of goods.

It will take A LOT to beat
Harley Davidson sales .

Apparently,
the Baby-Boomers
all have motorcycles ,
and Generation X is
only buying a very few ,
and the next generation ,
the Millennial's, are not
buying anything at all .

A recent study was conducted to find out why ?

Here are the reasons why Millennial's
do not ride motorcycles,
and why sales are down :

1. Pants won't pull up far enough for them to straddle the seat .

2. Can't get their phone to their ear with a helmet on .

3. Can't use 2 hands to eat while driving .

4. They don't get a trophy and a recognition plaque just for buying one .

5. Don't have enough muscle to hold the bike up when stopped .

6 Might have a bug hit them in the face and then they would need emergency care .

7. Motorcycles don't have air conditioning .

8. They can't afford one because they spent 12 years in college
trying to get a degree in Humanities, Social Studies
or Gender Studies for which no jobs are available .

9. They are allergic to fresh air .

10. Their pajamas get caught on the exhaust pipes .

11. They might get their hands dirty checking the oil .

12. The handle bars have buttons and levers and cannot be controlled by touch-screen .

13. You have to shift manually and use something called a clutch .

14. It's too hard to take selfies while riding .

15. They don't come with training wheels like their bicycles did .

16. Motorcycles don't have power steering or power brakes .

17. Their nose ring interferes with the face shield .

18. They would have to use leg muscle to back up .

19. When they stop, a light breeze might blow exhaust in their face .

20. It could rain on them and expose them to non-soft water .

21. It might scare their therapy dog, and then the dog would need therapy .

22. Their man bun wont fit under a helmet .

Last edited:
Apparently,
the Baby-Boomers
all have motorcycles ,
and Generation X is
only buying a very few ,
and the next generation ,
the Millennial's, are not
buying anything at all .

A recent study was conducted to find out why ?

Here are the reasons why Millennial's
do not ride motorcycles,
and why sales are down :

1. Pants won't pull up far enough for them to straddle the seat .

2. Can't get their phone to their ear with a helmet on .

3. Can't use 2 hands to eat while driving .

4. They don't get a trophy and a recognition plaque just for buying one .

5. Don't have enough muscle to hold the bike up when stopped .

6 Might have a bug hit them in the face and then they would need emergency care .

7. Motorcycles don't have air conditioning .

8. They can't afford one because they spent 12 years in college
trying to get a degree in Humanities, Social Studies
or Gender Studies for which no jobs are available .

9. They are allergic to fresh air .

10. Their pajamas get caught on the exhaust pipes .

11. They might get their hands dirty checking the oil .

12. The handle bars have buttons and levers and cannot be controlled by touch-screen .

13. You have to shift manually and use something called a clutch .

14. It's too hard to take selfies while riding .

15. They don't come with training wheels like their bicycles did .

16. Motorcycles don't have power steering or power brakes .

17. Their nose ring interferes with the face shield .

18. They would have to use leg muscle to back up .

19. When they stop, a light breeze might blow exhaust in their face .

20. It could rain on them and expose them to non-soft water .

21. It might scare their therapy dog, and then the dog would need therapy .

22. Their man bun wont fit under a helmet .

The Livewire won't be out until 2020 now. I sat on one of the below today. The riding position sucks.
fxdr.jpg

Back