Easy Rider Harley-Davidson Most Expensive Bike Ever $1.35 million

trev0006

Registered
Easy%20Rider%20Harley-Davidson%20Most%20Expensive%20Bike%20Ever%20%241.35%20million%20-%2008.jpg

from the article:
The star-spangled custom Harley-Davidson from 60’s classic ‘Easy Rider’ sold in auction last weekend for $1.35 million, which is the highest price ever paid for a cycle according to Hemmings. The chopper, named “Captain Americaâ€￾ after Peter Fonda’s character in the 1969 flick, was owned by LA-based collector Michael Eisenberg. However, just before the bike went under the hammer at the Profiles in History’s auction, media reports were casting doubt on its authenticity.

8 pictures and full article

heh. For that price, you better be damn sure its the real deal. Otherwise you could create a replica for far less.

You gotta be extra careful buying "rare" cars, bikes, etc.....

Seen a show where these guys travel all over the world in search of rare classic cars. 1 episode they went to Argentina looking for some rare classic Bugatti. They found 1 in and the 1 guy was soo excited he wanted 2 buy it on the spot for over a million bucks!!! But the other guy started looking @ it close and just wasn't sure if it was authentic or not?? They ended up paying 4 some Bugatti expert 2 fly in and assess the car. The guy looked @ it for 10 seconds and smiled saying "it's the greatest looking knock off I've ever seen" :laugh:

Come 2 find out there is a small company in Argentina that has some of the best metal workers in the world!! They hand build Bugatti racing replicas. There is a super exclusive waiting list and who you know kind of introductions necessary. They actually got 2 look inside the shop and see the process. They age the metals using acid baths etc. To make the parts/ frame appear older than it is and a whole bunch of other tricks. Unless you basically have a PHD in Bugatti's you could line 1 up against the real thing and never notice the difference....

When I lived in Fla., I had a friend who called me up all excited. Come see what I got...hurry. So I go over and there was this pretty sad looking Ducatti like on-off road bike. I don't remember the Model, I want to say Scrambler or something. Ran but barely and he was all giddy about it. I was like OK so what's the deal? Turns out this was the bike that Steve McQueen drove around the lot of the movie Great Escape. He even had a picture of it from back then. McQueen demanded that they put rear pegs on it so that he could ride his then girlfriend Ali McGraw around with him. This pic showed that bike with both of them on it. The first thing I thought was, how do we know this is that bike?

He had paid some guy to track back the paperwork. Since they bought it over there, it was shipped back as "Movie Equipment" on a long list of Customs paperwork it was shown but no VIN. They tracked the VIN back through Ducati and they confirmed it was the same bike. He had bought it from someone who had no idea what it was. Been sitting in various locations, here and there throughout the years and he came by it at an auction.

It was NO JOKE when he sold it to a collector! He made out HUGE on that stupid ratty old bike I would have never given a 2nd look to. You just have to know what you're seeing when you're looking.

You know, the fact that we are discussing this stuff is a cue that Suzuki better come up with something new and exciting. :poke:

I guess I just don't get it.

What are you going to do with a $1.35M bike?

Ride it? Look at it? Sit on it?
Store it hoping it will increase in value?

There are a lot of things I could buy with that kind of $,$$$,$$$,$$$. :laugh:

Maybe it's so he can tell his friends - bet you don't have one of these. :rofl:

Back