Why does my front tire look like this after 18 months?

InfiniteReality

Registered
I'm at a loss on this one. This is the 3rd front tire this has happened to. This will be the 4th front tire I've went through in 14k miles. I went through 2 Pirelli Diablo Rosso II front tires and originally blamed them for doing this, but after swapping brands (Avon Storm 3D) I'm still having the same issue. Never had an issue with the OEM front tire which probably lasted longer than the other 3 combined. Pressure is always good and if it matters I'm lowered in the front through a Spencer Cycle triple.

To describe how it looks in person since it's kind of hard to see in pictures, but it looks like it's cupping really bad. The middle is sort of squared off compared to the edges.

Any suggestions on why this is happening? I'm fixing to order a new front and bike's getting a fresh dip so opened to any ideas on a possible solution to attempt to correct it.

Thanks for any advice!

IMG_20180218_175919.jpg

IMG_20180218_175956.jpg

Suspension setting, psi, and straight line riding.

Pressure has always been good, never rode it on anything but ideal pressure. Suspension settings crossed my mind last night as well. I messed with them at some point, maybe more than once. Any suggestions on a generic setting?

I
How low did you drop the front?

Whatever the max is for a Gen2 due to the tapering of the forks, thinking around 3/4".

Pressure has always been good, never rode it on anything but ideal pressure. Suspension settings crossed my mind last night as well. I messed with them at some point, maybe more than once. Any suggestions on a generic setting?

I

Whatever the max is for a Gen2 due to the tapering of the forks, thinking around 3/4".

What psi have you been running?
hot or cold? It will rise roughly 2-4psi as it warms up.
No generic suspension setting.
Sag needs to be set, and it'll never be great on a stretched bike, but can be improved.
Sag and psi ARE the problem.

What psi have you been running?
hot or cold? It will rise roughly 2-4psi as it warms up.
No generic suspension setting.
Sag needs to be set, and it'll never be great on a stretched bike, but can be improved.
Sag and psi ARE the problem.

I couldn't tell you off the top of my head, but I always make sure it's about 5psi below the max it states on the tire.

Any contact marks on the radiator?

No marks on radiator when I pulled the fairings off last night.

Alignment, wheel run-out are a few things worth checking. Here's some interesting reading.
http://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear/index.html

Fixing to check that out at lunch, thanks!

Psi should be ok then
Suspension sag is wrong regardless, and IS the cause of the feathering edges.
Psi, and mainly straight riding play a smaller part.

Suspension setting, psi, and straight line riding.
Most likely the cause and effect, I would be checking wheel alignment and chassis for straightness also. Then I would fit a pair of Michelin Pilot Powers, set the sag and dial in some base line comp and rebound settings, Tyres set at 36psi front and rear.

Jose Ortega had a recent post(forget which one), in it I describe sag settings on a stretched and lowered bike.
That should help get you in the ballpark.
Sag on a stretch and lower will never be what you need it to be, but you can improve it alot.

Thanks for the link Jose, Sixpack and everyone for the other info! I'll make sure to set the sag best I can this weekend to hopefully help for this new tire. I should get alot more mileage out of this front tire this time around.

What Sixpack says makes way more sense to me than the measuring way, probably why I never messed with it much. Way you worded it just clicks, really looking forward to setting it up alot closer to what it actually should be, thanks!

Sort of wish it'd been the rear doing this instead of the front. It'd give me a reason to do nice big burnouts before putting the new tire on. :)

Hope Monday I can start a new thread to show off the new spring Plasti-Dip color. Still unsure how I'll like this color, but it'll fit right in with spring colors at least.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Jose, Sixpack and everyone for the other info! I'll make sure to set the sag best I can this weekend to hopefully help for this new tire. I should get alot more mileage out of this front tire this time around.

What Sixpack says makes way more sense to me than the measuring way, probably why I never messed with it much. Way you worded it just clicks, really looking forward to setting it up alot closer to what it actually should be, thanks!

Sort of wish it'd been the rear doing this instead of the front. It'd give me a reason to do nice big burnouts before putting the new tire on. :)

Hope Monday I can start a new thread to show off the new spring Plasti-Dip color. Still unsure how I'll like this color, but it'll fit right in with spring colors at least.

Glad it helps, if you have any questions let me know, here or pm.

I should have bike back together by this weekend and will setup the suspension right after, as well as re-adjust my headlight since I made some adjustments to it.

A buddy suggested the issue could be fork oil, i'm guessing the weight being too light. While I do know heavier oil can make a positive impact on handling and probably wouldn't really hurt to do, but unsure if it's actually needed because of weird tire wear. Any thoughts?

I should have bike back together by this weekend and will setup the suspension right after, as well as re-adjust my headlight since I made some adjustments to it.

A buddy suggested the issue could be fork oil, i'm guessing the weight being too light. While I do know heavier oil can make a positive impact on handling and probably wouldn't really hurt to do, but unsure if it's actually needed because of weird tire wear. Any thoughts?

Not true.
Fork oil weight isn't going to cause tire wear.
Stock is 5w.
I switched to 7w, and preffered the feel.
The front felt more sturdy, less flimsy.
But I had perfect sag and tire wear with both.
I'm also around 195lbs in full gear, so the Busa suspension works good for my weight.
Your problem is 100% incorrect sag, and psi per riding style. Alot of straight line cruising is hard on sport tires, as far as wear pattern and tire life.

Not true.
Fork oil weight isn't going to cause tire wear.
Stock is 5w.
I switched to 7w, and preffered the feel.
The front felt more sturdy, less flimsy.
But I had perfect sag and tire wear with both.
I'm also around 195lbs in full gear, so the Busa suspension works good for my weight.
Your problem is 100% incorrect sag, and psi per riding style. Alot of straight line cruising is hard on sport tires, as far as wear pattern and tire life.

I kinda figured, but wanted to ask since it's probably easier to set sag than change fork oil. I changed the oil back in the day when I owned a SV and made it feel way better. I'm pretty close to you, 180lbs minus gear. You are correct, I do alot more straight line cruising living in Louisiana, we don't have much else to do around here, lol.

Looking forward to setting it up properly and especially getting this tire scrubbed in. I HATE the feel of new tires on a bike.

Back