Need advice from tire guru's.

twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
Ok guys, heres the deal, I have less than 2000 miles on a set of BT-021's and the front is bald on both sides. I am anal about tire pressure, so that is covered. I have tread on the edges by the sidewall, and in the middle of the tire. I am not at home so I cant post pics. But the rear tire is a roughly 95% tread.
Getting home from the bash, I noticed the condition of the front tire, and then checked the rear. My question: Why did I wear the front down so bad, not the rear? I know there has been some issues with the 21 and unusual wear on the front tire. But, it is my riding that has caused this? I ride 2 up most of the time, so if a tire is going to wear, I thought it would be the back tire.
I have a new set of Avon's waiting for me at home, and I will put those on next week. Any thoughts, comments, advice? I have never seen this before in the 20+ years I have been riding. The last set of tires were replaced because the rear wore out first and I hate having mismatched tires.

Thanks guys, I am just trying to understand what happened and see if I need to make an adjustment to my riding style or if it is related to the tire itself.

Bridgestone says via email that I am on my own, reason for the Avon's, just fyi.

So if I am reading this right you are wearing out the areas just to the outside of center only and the center and outer edges are fine? I have seen this before with a Metzeler but not with 2000 miles on it! I went through my pics and found one of my old (~7000 miles) Metzeler M3 but my stock Bridgestone was worse than this after 2600 miles. I attributed this to insufficient tire pressure and now I am running around 42psi and it seems to have helped in this respect. My theory is that if I wasn't running enough tire pressure it was squashing down the tire across its contact patch more than it should be under normal riding and started wearing it more there than in the middle of the tread? I could be wrong but I haven't had this issue since I went back up to the higher pressures.

DSCN0261.jpg

James: Did you hit the twisties an unusual amount with this current set? Both Lamb and I (and countless others, I presume) have experienced lots of tread left over in the center strip, and bald outer perimeters; because we spend so much time in the canyons...so, it's natural if you ride that way a lot.

That said, 2000 miles out of a tire under regular use would be extremely disappointing to me. I have no experience with the 021's so I cannot speak to them specifically.

Warchild has sworn by the Avon Storms and he's a high-mileage ho, like me, though his is much more straight line.

Gotsta get those Avon's on, bro... :beerchug:

So if I am reading this right you are wearing out the areas just to the outside of center only and the center and outer edges are fine? I have seen this before with a Metzeler but not with 2000 miles on it! I went through my pics and found one of my old (~7000 miles) Metzeler M3 but my stock Bridgestone was worse than this after 2600 miles. I attributed this to insufficient tire pressure and now I am running around 42psi and it seems to have helped in this respect. My theory is that if I wasn't running enough tire pressure it was squashing down the tire across its contact patch more than it should be under normal riding and started wearing it more there than in the middle of the tread? I could be wrong but I haven't had this issue since I went back up to the higher pressures.

Yes tool, you are reading it right, that is how the tire is worn. I run 40psi in them, I could adjust up to 41 or 42, any other thoughts?

no guru but I had the BT021 as you know... here is my front at 2500M

I do not think it was you.. I am pretty sure it was a tire issue (you know this has happened to a number of us :) )
DSC_0004.JPG

James: Did you hit the twisties an unusual amount with this current set? Both Lamb and I (and countless others, I presume) have experienced lots of tread left over in the center strip, and bald outer perimeters; because we spend so much time in the canyons...so, it's natural if you ride that way a lot.

That said, 2000 miles out of a tire under regular use would be extremely disappointing to me. I have no experience with the 021's so I cannot speak to them specifically.

Warchild has sworn by the Avon Storms and he's a high-mileage ho, like me, though his is much more straight line.

Gotsta get those Avon's on, bro... :beerchug:

Scar, most of my riding is straight line, not many twisty roads in Oklahoma, but I only push the bike and the tires when we make the meets( on roads that have great twisties.) I did ride the bike hard and pushed the limits of the tires on the Cherahola during the last run of the Bash. It was the first time I could "feel" the tires and for once, I felt in tune with bike and everything flowed. Does that make sense?

no guru but I had the BT021 as you know... here is my front at 2500M

I do not think it was you.. I am pretty sure it was a tire issue (you know this has happened to a number of us :) )
DSC_0004.JPG

Thanks Randy, Bridgestone did not have any comments other than they do not warrenty the tires by mileage and I should have it inspected. I will have it looked at when I swap the Avon's on, but I am not counting on anything.

What's the date code on your front tire? They had a lot of problems with the 021's fronts...sounds like you might have got a old shoe.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rich, I do know where the date code is. Assuming it is on the sidewall, what should I be looking for?

Left side of the tire right after it is stamped 'DOT'...first two #'s are the week of the year it was made...01-52...2nd two is the year that it was made. Not sure the exact time frame of the bad tires, but if that tire is more than a year or two old...I think it is one of the bad ones.
Posted via Mobile Device

BT021's are notorious for poor mileage. Mine were gone at 3K easy riding. Put on a set of Avon Storms still looked brand new at 1K miles. However, for track day, Tufbusa recommended going to BT016's, which I did (my Avon's are still in the garage waiting to be put back on, except I bought another set of BT016's for this summer's track days - Hopefully)

Thanks guys, I will check the date code when I get home. I could not find any recalls on their website. These may have been the last set of Bridgestones I buy.
Posted via Mobile Device

For the Avon owners, have any of you ever ridden them on a track day? performance?

Ok guys, heres the deal, I have less than 2000 miles on a set of BT-021's and the front is bald on both sides. I am anal about tire pressure, so that is covered. I have tread on the edges by the sidewall, and in the middle of the tire. I am not at home so I cant post pics. But the rear tire is a roughly 95% tread.
Getting home from the bash, I noticed the condition of the front tire, and then checked the rear. My question: Why did I wear the front down so bad, not the rear? I know there has been some issues with the 21 and unusual wear on the front tire. But, it is my riding that has caused this? I ride 2 up most of the time, so if a tire is going to wear, I thought it would be the back tire.
I have a new set of Avon's waiting for me at home, and I will put those on next week. Any thoughts, comments, advice? I have never seen this before in the 20+ years I have been riding. The last set of tires were replaced because the rear wore out first and I hate having mismatched tires.

Thanks guys, I am just trying to understand what happened and see if I need to make an adjustment to my riding style or if it is related to the tire itself.

Bridgestone says via email that I am on my own, reason for the Avon's, just fyi.
The BT-021 fronts have the well known issue you're talking about...some folks have had their fronts replaced by Bridgestone. Do a quick google search and you'll find out all you need to know. Personally I've never liked 'Stones and have only wore out the ones that came on my bikes new......otherwise I'll never run one.

Back