Why Does Brake Fluid Do This???

jefro

Registered
I change out my brake and clutch fluids every season(average 5000 mi per year) and notice that in the clutch it turns dark. I'm running Spiegler lines all the way around and was using Galfer DOT 4 for a couple years and then last year tried Motul DOT 5.1 and it still came out dark as shown in the pics(and it's fairly diluted from flushing it out). Yeah, the line runs along the frame and gets pretty warm but nowhere near as warm as it gets in the front calipers. Any ideas what's going on?

011.jpg

012.jpg

Heat and moisture! your clutch fluid is subject to constant heat and unless you really ride hard in the twisties your front brakes are not subjected to the prolonged and constant heat. You will probably notice that your rear brake fluid turns darker than your front even though you use them less ( I hope).

Heat and moisture! your clutch fluid is subject to constant heat and unless you really ride hard in the twisties your front brakes are not subjected to the prolonged and constant heat. You will probably notice that your rear brake fluid turns darker than your front even though you use them less ( I hope).

check your seals and don't over fill them.

I thought dot 5 was a no no on motorcycles :dunno:

Yeah mine turns black on my Gen 1 as long as it works I am ok with it, kinda easier to visually check that it's full:laugh:

For Gen II also the same here . I wouldn't use dot 5....specially 5.1 if I were you.Different compositions which can harm circuits designed for dot 4 fluids only.Concerning boiling point..still... , a type of dot 3 is unbeatable !!!

Back