Motul DOT 5.1 Brake Fluid

OB_speed-junkie

Registered
This is for anyone who gets pissed looking at the color of the clutch fluid on their busas. My 2000 busa has only 2400 miles on it and the clutch fluid turned completelly black. Was told by my friendly Suzuki technicians that the 1300cc and the clutch generate so much heat when engaged that it 'burns' the fluid fast. So 4 weeks ago I switched to Motul DOT 5.1 brake fluid. This stuff is synthetic, NON-SILICONE based, so it's safe on brake seals and hoses(or so it's supposed to be). So far fluid is clear as daylight. Changed my brake fluid too. Does anyone have any long-term feedback on this stuff. I think it even exeeds DOT 5.0 boiling point????I also put Kevlar brake lines--I recommend them to anyone,braking power is the word.

Dot 5 can still attack Dot 4 seals etc.

Castrol RS Dot 4 fluid exceeds the boiling point spec of Dot 5 and is guarenteed Dot 4 compatable - it is clear too.

If you brakes fail and you have Dot 5 in the system you are uninsured - why take the risk?

no,no,no. This stuff(Motul 5.1) is not silicone based, which makes it safe for seals and hoses--plus I switches to kevlar brake lines. I bought the fluid at a local Honda store at little under $8 per quart(steep as **** ). I don't know if Motul has a website, look for it, maybe they tested this stuff somewhere on the Internet. So far the fluid works perfect, I even noticed smoother shifts???(less friction???)

Sorry to bust your party but DOT 5 in DOT 3-4 system will not work for the long haul. A local Yamaha dealer used to install DOT 5 in everthing he seviced. A year later, I was converting all of them back to DOT 4. Irritated customers as the dealer had gone out of business along with his brainstorm of brake mods. Stick with what is made for your system.
Jay R Hammock

well imust be the lucky one i've had bel-ray 5.1 synthetic in my gsxr 750 for 2 years and its still the same color and brakes still feel fine

Busa 2, you may not be pushing your bike to the same extremes that some others will encounter. Quit spreading your ignorance. I am in the business so I get a chance to see many units and how they are effected by homemade recipes and brainstorms. Flatter yourself by thinking you have defeated the odds. But I know better than to believe that DOT 5 is a replacement for DOT 4. It ain't so. But you probably believe in the toothe fairy as well.
J R Hammock

Whether it works or not is not the point.
If you hit someone and kill them, and the accident investigators tear your bike down and spot dot 5 in your system your insurance is worthless.

I can't see the point of risking running dot 5 when there are high spec dot 4 fluids that will perform just as well on the market.

So your Gixxer has lasted 2 years with dot 5. Great. Some people smoke 60 a day and live to be a hundred, we all know that's an exception and heavy smokers normally drop like flys in their late 60s.

leave dot 5 for dot 5 systems!

Guys, guys ...

Dot 5.1 is just a "name" used by some manufacturers for their new&improved Dot 4 type brake-fluids!

It's a bit misleading ... but 4 and 5.1 can be used in the same "applications" whereas Dot 5 is a special case requiring all parts of hydraulic system coming in contact with it to be "designed" with Dot 5 use in mind.

Now stop bickering and go to better threads.

Animal, If what you say it true then fine but we are not bickering we are trying to stop potentially dangerous information becoming common knowledge.

If 5.1 is sooped up Dot 4 then smiles all round.

I did a little research and Dot 5.1 is indeed what animal says it is, High spec borate ester based fluid rather than silicone based like dot 5.

Sorry 4 the confusion chaps I'll slide under a rock somewhere....

DM,

I thought that seeing "potentially dangerous information becoming common knowledge" was the norm here?

Restricted bikes just being one of many examples, whadda you say, JC?

This from the Motul web site. - http://www.motul.com/html/

"DOT 5.1 BRAKE FLUID

509°F dry - 365°F wet 1/2L, 1/4L
Polyglycol baseed brake fluid, exceed the highest DOT specs.
For use in all systems that require a DOT 3, DOT 4 or DOT 5.1 fluid.
The container is filled with NITROGEN gas to increase shelf life and eliminate contamination while factory sealed.
DO NOT MIX THIS PRODUCT WITH SILICONE BRAKE FLUIDS."

JRBUSA WHERE DO YOU COME OFF SAYING SPREADING MY IGNORANCE YOU NOTHING ABOUT ME OR WHAT I KNOW NEXT TIME THINK BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR BIGGG MOUTH

...which, factory, agrees with what DangerMouse posted just a little higher.
excellent.

So, Dot 5.1 can safely be used with Dot 4 seals

Marvellous

Homebase here I come (for UK owners only!)

Nuts ;)

jrbusa another thing the mechanic that did my breaks is also a semi pro road-racer and uses it in his bike all year and yes he said it would be fine for my needs. if all your customers brought there bikes back obviously the problem is you or the other mechanics dont know what there doing and why do you assume this was a brainstorm as you would call it AND ONE MORE THING I WAS JUST PUTTING MY .02 IN AS TO MY EXPERIENCE.AND NO I DONT BELEIVE IN THE TOOTH FAIRY BUT I DO BELEIVE YOUR A FLAMIN sugar

Does anyone know how much dot 4 I should buy to change my brake fluid. Im adding an aftermarket rear brake line so I will need to bleed the system. Just curious as to how much dot 4 I should buy. Please pm me. Thank you in advance.

I bought one bottle and still had a lot of leftover (emptied both front and rear lines, clutch & brake fluid reservoirs). You do know this thread is over 10 years old, right :poke:

419Y4FCJv7L._SS500_.jpg

This I know: Dot 4 works and it works exceedingly well in both race applications and street applications. Change your fluid annually and Dot 4 will keep your brakes working properly for the life of your motorcycle. Factories recommend it for a reason and every racer I know (And I know a pile of em) all use Dot 4. I've never seen anything but Dot 4 on the shelf of trackside vendors.

Use whatever you like, just engage the brain in gear before experimenting with something if you are unsure of the outcome!

To change fluids in order to change the color seems just a little odd to me? :dunno:

Although this thread is from the distant past, it's obvious some still gather info here as a result of "Search"!

Back