Why are there so many used 2022 and 2023's for sale with low mileage?

Gen3lover

Registered
Just browsing Cycle Trader this weekend and noticed a lot of Gen 3's for sale nationwide with just a few thousand miles, some with less than 1,000 miles.
Anybody want to venture an opinion for why many folks are dumping their bikes so soon after purchase?
I can see a few buyers that discovered they made a mistake buying a Busa, or maybe some fell on hard times and can't make the loan payments or insurance. But it seems like there's more to it due to number for sale.

Also, I noticed that the prices on used 2022's are all over the place - some are $16,500 and others are $14,500 - same exact year and similar mileage, same geographic location too.

It's a weird market we're in

When I was shopping in early 2022 I found the same to be true for the late gen 2’s 2018 and up. I knew I wanted a 2018 or newer with very low miles so I searched cycle trader and found well over 50 18’s, 19’s and 20’s across the country and around half of them had less than 2,000 miles, one had 87 miles and another had 300 miles. I was high bidder on a 2019 with zero miles on eBay but I didn’t meet reserve. One difference though is the used gen 3’s are going for less than the original listed price but when I was shopping the late gen 2’s we’re asking $2,000 more than their or original listed price.

There are better bikes for touring than the Busa, although you can take extended trips on these.
And there are better bikes for all out speed although the Busa is plenty fast.
I’ll bet one factor is that most buyers don’t check out the cost to insure one of these things prior to purchase. Once the newness wears off it becomes a grind having to pay that big premium they didn’t see coming

There are better bikes for touring than the Busa, although you can take extended trips on these.
And there are better bikes for all out speed although the Busa is plenty fast.
I’ll bet one factor is that most buyers don’t check out the cost to insure one of these things prior to purchase. Once the newness wears off it becomes a grind having to pay that big premium they didn’t see coming
Hi. Back in 1992 I bought a ZX 11 6xx miles for $1,500.00 it came with a new D&D exhaust a leather suite and some other parts. The plasticity on the left side was scraped up a bit. I fixed them up and it was the best bike I ever had up to my 1999 busa.

Probably venturing out to multi purpose bikes, even though the Gen 3 is a fairly sorted bike, there is plenty that are far better.

Been a few people advertising their new Gen 3s on here for sale....

We should have asked them I suppose....

I know the Hayabusa is a hard sell.....lots of them for sale for a long time.

They bought it for the new thing. The new busa. Then after all their friends seen it and they had a summer of riding all the while making payments on a $18k bike the novelty wore off and buyers remorse sets in.

They bought it for the new thing. The new busa. Then after all their friends seen it and they had a summer of riding all the while making payments on a $18k bike the novelty wore off and buyers remorse sets in.
Yep, that’s gotta be it.

Oh, I don't know,
Maybe a front master cylinder that randomly fails.
A quickshifter that misses shifts.
No restart when hot.
Several failing to rev over 8k rpm.
Some with tight throttle springs.
Falling on their face at 10k rpm.
Not being able to outrun cheaper and dated 1000's and the zx14.
Having more midrange than a gen2, and, and...nothing else other than fancy electronics to help you to slow it down.
Oh! ....it Did get cruise control...and all for around $21k out the door.
THAT will cause buyers remoese Any day, and that is why many are selling and that many more want nothing to do with the latest disapointment from Suzuki...the gen3 busa...myself included.
Now the search continues for what to replace it with...

Covid
People locked up
Got money from the govt in unsecured loans they didn’t have to pay back
Bought homes, boats, cars, bikes and all else and are now feeling the crunch of living beyond their means for the last three years.

Oh, I don't know,
No restart when hot.
Having more midrange than a gen2, and, and...nothing else other than fancy electronics to help you to slow it down.
THAT will cause buyers remoese Any day, and that is why many are selling and that many more want nothing to do with the latest disapointment from Suzuki...the gen3 busa...myself included.
All good points. So do you think the ZX-14 is the closest competitor?
It’s a bit dated.

Oh, I don't know,
No restart when hot.
Here I thought you were in the market for one.
While you make some absolutely rock solid points.
Still love my Gen3.
Still want the lighter, faster 1000 but Suzuki refuses to update their machine and play with the neighborhood kids

All good points. So do you think the ZX-14 is the closest competitor?
It’s a bit dated.

It is Kawasaki's competitor for the Busa.
Call the zx14 dated all you want, because it is...but it's still quicker.
What does the gen3 have that it doesn't?
Cruise control? Yes, and that is good thing.
Fancy modes to Restrict power?
Yes...and wth...I buy big bikes for big power, I have been riding in the rain since the first day of rain after I started riding...and it makes no difference, twist less or learn to drift.
Better yet...buy something with Less power that you can handle(general statements not directed at anyone).
I will take tried and true any day over the newest latest and greatest.
I am a Suzuki guy, from my earliest memories.
I've been a Busa fan since the beginning.
Yet the gen3 to myself and many has proven itself to be a fail...and Suzuki could care less.
Are they addressing All the problems with the gen3? Nope.
Only the failing front brakes, because they're kind of important, and a recall could prevent a lawsuit...and it only took just over a Year!!
Also, the 2023 has All the same problems as the 2022!
Suzuki has gone the way of so many companies...run by useless idiots who allow this to happen, then let it continue, all without consequences to them...aside from declining sales and customers walking away from the brand all together.
As I've said before, I can buy a new gen3 today if I want one, and that was the plan.
I even hung on for '23 so Suzuki could fix their problems....aaaannnddd...nothing.
No way would I spend what is already too much money for what you get, only to have one to all of the gen3 gremlins.
Nope...a Big F*** You Suzuki!
I will continue to buy their used gsxr's, but I don't Ever see them getting new bike money out of me again.
I've been looking at what else looks good for some time now, as the gen3...what a huge disapointment.

Here I thought you were in the market for one.
While you make some absolutely rock solid points.
Still love my Gen3.
Still want the lighter, faster 1000 but Suzuki refuses to update their machine and play with the neighborhood kids

I was...but refuse to buy junk.
I'm glad you got a good one.
Me, I won't risk my money on one.

I have seldom kept cars or bikes for very long. I was just trying to recall those that I have kept for a while and why.

For most I think the initial purchase has an emotional element to it. Especially for bikes. The motos I have sold are usually passed along due to my sitiuation at the time, not the moto. Like getting frustrated that I don't have enough time to ride or something.

I enjoy so many different aspects of my Gen 1 (riding, tinking, chatting, etc.), that I could see myself keeping if for a while. If I was making payments on a Gen 3, and paying for full coverage vs liability only, that might change things. Inflation can't help matters. Dunno.

Last edited:
You'de be suprised what a dated gsxr can do against the neighborhood kids...

Discounting the handling differences, even

IMG_3276.jpg

IMG_5970.jpeg

a (really) dated bike can surprise the kids. An 11.32 quarter isn’t too far from a 10 second run. And my lil 948cc standard also has a low 11 second quarter for thousands less than a new Busa or any of the new liter bikes. Of course the top speed is around 140 instead of 180. I’d be willing to bet that a good many Busa owners would be hard pressed to pull a 10 second run out of their bikes anyway.

Back