Why are my plugs all different colours?

IBLOWN

Registered
Pulled the plugs today.

All different colours.

Bike smells rich, 25-30MPG.

Runs flawlessly.

I had a bike shop change the plugs, T/B's synced (Supposedly), valve clearances checked (Supposedly). All these were done at the same time.

Bike smelled rich before the tune-up but is slowly getting worse. Was running 14.3KM/L, is now 11...

FI light has never come on.

K5, Yoshi RS3, K&N, NO Power commander, 98RON fuel, 27,000KMS.

Any ideas?

IMG_0867_zps9038e0ea.jpg

You've got one that looks right, three that are similar rich. Sounds nuts but first thing I'd check is the vacuum line that feeds the throttle body the lean plug came from. That will allow air to lean out that hole plus will throw off the MAP sensor which will drive the FI system rich.

You've got one that looks right, three that are similar rich. Sounds nuts but first thing I'd check is the vacuum line that feeds the throttle body the lean plug came from. That will allow air to lean out that hole plus will throw off the MAP sensor which will drive the FI system rich.

Ive checked all vacuum lines. All seem fine.

what rpm's do you cruise at? How many miles on the plugs? What kind of ambient temps do you ride in?
They look rich for sure.

what rpm's do you cruise at? How many miles on the plugs? What kind of ambient temps do you ride in?
They look rich for sure.

I live in a sort of city environment, i dont get to really cruise alot. I'll hardly get out of 4-5th gear. When i do cruise though, i'll sit at about 3500rpm.

Plugs have only done about 1500kms.

Tempertaure here lately is about 27-35degC or 80F-95F. I dont know if its coincidence or not but i did notice as summer started the mileage got worse.

It looks like you have a Gen I, is that right? Also you say the bike runs flawlessly, but does it idle rough when you don't have the fast idle lever engaged.

Mine is running rich but it is time for a throttle body sync new plugs. But I think mine has been rich from the get go. When I rode with Oger he thought I smelled rich as well.

It looks like you have a Gen I, is that right? Also you say the bike runs flawlessly, but does it idle rough when you don't have the fast idle lever engaged.

Mine is running rich but it is time for a throttle body sync new plugs. But I think mine has been rich from the get go. When I rode with Oger he thought I smelled rich as well.

Yep Gen I.

Idles fine without the fast idle.

They look rich for sure.

I cruise at around 3500RPM.

800 Miles on the plugs.

At the moment its around 28-35degC. The hot weather only makes it worse.

Does the bike give a puff of black smoke when you get on it?
What is your average trip distance? Alot of short commuting, or do you get to wind it up and ride hard once or twice a week?

I'd still examine the MAP sensor or it's signal. Typical reason for across the board rich conditions.

i have about the same issue actually. 2003 with 20k miles. Dyno ECU tuned in the past. Smells rich, when i get on it hard it shoots some black. if i rev while warming it up, some black comes out. there is alot of soot on the exhaust tip.

mods listed. and im getting 20 mpg roughly...

so far the issue has illuded me! perhaps i will also have to look into the Map Sensor. not sure if i should check resistances or repalce the sensor. ill hope its just the tubing i guess...

Back